BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Water coming through the doors..??

12K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  boss22 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.
I have weird issue. It's been rain a while today here in CT. When I opened the door today I have noticed that the water sits on the bottom of outer side door frame (the area where the plastic Bmw panel is)
The seal on the door's wing is full of water at the bottom and also I have noticed that the water coming out from between door's body and door's panel at the very bottom edge.

There is no water inside the car I mean under the carpet mats nor the floor carpet.

What the hell? Is this normal in E60?

#4 ·
No it is not normal.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I know. The car has been in the garage a couple weeks ago. The guy took all the door panels off and sunroof was replaced. I bet there is something that he screwed up...

Have you heard about the stuff under the door panel. There is some kind of plastic isolator. I heard this might be the problem..?

#5 ·
The front sunroof drain is located in the driver's side door jamb in front of the rubber electrical conduit which runs from the front fender area to the door. Reach behind it with your fingers and you'll be able to feel the drain tube. It sounds like either the drain tube wasn't connected properly or there's an issue with the inner door seal. Park your car on level ground, open your sunroof and driver's side door, and pour some water in the front of the sunroof well. It should quickly drain out of the tube in the door jamb.

#6 ·
you mean open the sunroof and poor the water on the sunroof's frame while is opened right? and watch the water that has to come out by the door's drain? Correct me if I am wrong bro.
Should I be able to see the door's drain or I have to undo something?

It looks like you have a clue what is going on.

What does the inner seal has to do with it if it is located behind the door's panel? I would say that something indeed maybe wrong in there bc I saw water dripping down between the metal door's body and door's panel.

#7 ·
Yes, pour water in the sunroof frame. You can't see the drain tube, but you can feel it if you reach behind the conduit. But don't worry, if it's connected to the sunroof drain pan you'll have no problem seeing the water gush out. Don't pour too much water just in case though -- maybe 1/2 cup or so.

#11 · (Edited)
He removed door panels and also he removed inner seals behind the doors panels for sure. Is this may cause my problem if he did not sticked/glued back the inner seal to the door's body properly?

As I said the water does not coming inside the car and does not soak any carpet but it is just annoying to see the water dripping down every time I am opening the door on rainy days, besides I don't know what the heck is going on behind the door panels..? There is some electronics for sure...

#12 ·
definitely the water is coming out from between door body and door panel.
The question is where does the water coming in...?

I have both door passenger side front and back and the little on the driver side on back door. The back passenger side is the worst :thumbdwn:

#13 · (Edited)
definitely the water is coming out from between door body and door panel.
The question is where does the water coming in...?

I have both door passenger side front and back and the little on the driver side on back door. The back passenger side is the worst :thumbdwn:
The water is entering in the gap btw the body edge and front and rear door edges, Also the gap btw the both doors. Water drips down from the top of the door gap on the exterior side of the rubber seal on back side of the door,,down to the lowest point , which is the btm sill below the bmw logo. Every time I drive in the rain, or wash it. I have to clean and wax the door jambs and bottom sill. Dirt and water sits on there. In the 5 yrs ive had my car never had a leak in the car. As long as the water don't get in , the door seal is good, doing its job. So on the exterior edge of the door rubber it should be wet keeping the water out from getting inside the cab. Also both front sunroof drains release water on the jambs outside of the door rubber . So u said inside ur car is dry ,So it's all good as long the water is on the outside..

#15 ·
Hi everyone.
I have weird issue. It's been rain a while today here in CT. When I opened the door today I have noticed that the water sits on the bottom of outer side door frame (the area where the plastic Bmw panel is)
The seal on the door's wing is full of water at the bottom and also I have noticed that the water coming out from between door's body and door's panel at the very bottom edge.

There is no water inside the car I mean under the carpet mats nor the floor carpet.

What the hell? Is this normal in E60?
I'm having this same exact problem! It's happening to both the front and rear driver side doors while my passenger side doors are dry. Any solutions yet?

#17 · (Edited)
open your door buddy take a bucket of water and ask somebody to pour somewhere half way up on the window and a little on the frame from the left edge of the door to the right slowly but be careful not to put water inside your car, meantime you have to look at the bottom edge. You should have two holes (hard to spot at first) at the each corner of the door at the very bottom edge and you should see water coming down there which is perfectly normal, cause those holes are drains, then you should see the overflow coming out right between the panel and door's body which is not right...

#16 · (Edited)
all righty guys!

I think I caught the freakin bug but we have to discuss this.

Today nice sunny weather here so, I have opened the front door and I pour the water on the on the glass just in the half way up. Everything seemed fine water start drain through the two drain holes at the very bottom of the door at the each corner until I see water start coming out between the panel and door's body. The answer might be only one i think: They did not glued/sealed the plastic isolator under the doors panel.
All water coming into the door should have gone through the two door's drains at the bottom when the isolator (inner seal) is sealed am I correct?

I am assuming both Mine are not sealed properly bc the guy screwed up the job I am sure so water coming out through there when is too much to drain by those two normal drains I quess..?

I have this only on two passenger (right side) doors. The other two are fine

What do you guys think?

#19 · (Edited)
I think that's it 99.9% the problem. someone told me on my origin Polish BMW forum that the inner seal might be the only problem but I was wondering what the inner seal has to do with this..?

I guess I have my answer now. The inner seal prevents from water overflow in that certain spot between panel and door.

Now the problem is to undo the door panel without damaging anything :dunno: I hate to do the door panels bc I usually break some clip or other parts :dunno:
Does somebody here know how to do it step by step?

#21 · (Edited)
heres a link pdf download on mirror install but door panel removal is need to install mirrors...
where you at in CT?
I am located in New Britain. Where you are from?
Do you know some good garage that is specializing in Bimmers?
I am sick and tired of garages that they don't have clue what's going on...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.