BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Enhanced Premium Sound Amplifier Gain

15K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  zibawala 
#1 ·
Picked up an '09 sedan before Christmas with Enhanced Premium Sound. The system, as far as stock systems go, is decent - not the worst, not the best. Better than the HK in my e46 M3 which I almost never listened to.

I've been trying to get the audio settings (treble, bass and equalizer) to my liking and it's been a house of cards. I get the lows sounding okay and then when I get the mids and highs sounding good the lows are off again.

I sort of managed to get it all sounding good and then I realize it's only good for the volume that I set it at. At low volumes there's too much bass, not enough mids/highs. As I raise the volume I find the sweet spot where I tuned it and as I go higher, the bass becomes thin and the mids/highs begin to really dominate.

I've never heard an audio system do this before.

A friend of mine who used to install car stereos thinks it might be an amplifier gain issue. I didn't think we could make those types of adjustments in the past. Do we have access to that on the current amp?

Anyone else experience this?

See less See more
#4 ·
Got a response back from PencilGeek. His settings actually helped quite a bit. I'm also getting much more linear response throughout the volume range. I didn't get too much time to tweak it to my preferences but I think it's a good start. Still lacking in the mid-bass.

This is the thread you're looking for:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137825

Specifically, this is the post you're looking for:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...9&postcount=35

PencilGeek's settings for a "flat" frequency response (as flat as possible):
EQ Settings:
100 Hz: +0
200 Hz: +1
500 Hz: +5
1000 Hz: +3
2000 Hz: +8
5000 Hz: +5
10000 Hz: +5

Treble: 0
Bass: +3

Front/Rear Balance: Rear: +3

My Modifications (so far):
100 Hz: +7 (not sure this is quite right yet - might be getting a little boomy)
200 Hz: +2
Front/Rear Balance: Rear: 0

I wanted to enhance the mid-bass. I also found that biasing the rears took away from the low-end so set it back to default.

#5 ·
UPDATE: Current Settings

It's been a couple weeks and the system is sounding better and smoother. At times it's enjoyable to listen to. I guess the speakers needed some time to break-in.

My current settings

EQ Settings:
100 Hz: +4
200 Hz: +1
500 Hz: +4
1000 Hz: +5
2000 Hz: +8
5000 Hz: +5
10000 Hz: +5

Treble: +1
Bass: +5

Front/Rear Balance: 0

#27 ·
If I were you, I would go to the dealer lot with a CD of your choice and compare your car with an M3 with premium sound side by side. It sounds like you have a better ear for the differences than most...especially me. I mostly listen to the sound of that revving V8. If I am actually listening to the stereo, it's usually some sort of rock or techno cranked up such that an equalizer doesn't really matter. I do have the EA and I can attest that it does get loud and the bass kicks pretty good.
Thanks, I had a chance to listen to the M3 Hi-fi (standard) system for a short while. It's not terrible, but its not as good as the Logic 7 in my 335. I would be disappointed to pay M3 money for the car and not have at least a Logic 7 caliber system. So I'll be getting the enhanced audio I think, unless I can find out about an aftermarket upgrade for the Hi-Fi system which would improve things.

#28 ·
So I'll be getting the enhanced audio I think, unless I can find out about an aftermarket upgrade for the Hi-Fi system which would improve things.
I don't recall if you are getting iDrive/Navi, but the EA (752) is integrated with iDrive and the Navi screen. Not sure if any aftermarket gear would provide that interface. Just something to consider (and I actually like the EA 752 system, although if Logic7 had been an option or base, I would have picked Logic7)

#18 ·
I've been meaning to do a follow up since my initial post. I feel like I was too harsh about the system initially - before the speakers broke in. I'm assuming it was because the speakers needed break-in. I can't think of any other reason why the system sounded the way it did when I first got the car (varying frequency response depending on listening volume) versus now (smooth and equal response throughout volume range). I've never heard what Logic 7 is capable of so I can't compare. I did have the HK system in my e46 M3 and I thought it was pretty mediocre. I drove with my stereo off almost all the time because it was so disappointing. I had the car for 7 1/2 years and my drive to work is about 45min one way!

About Logic 7 vs. Enhanced Premium Sound, I've heard everything from it's worse to it's better. That simply can't be. What I get out of people's responses is that EA is better than Logic 7 but at twice the cost it's not twice as good. I can say that EA sounds pretty good when I compare it to the reference setup of my 7.2 home theater. I wish vocals were cleaner and more open but are by no means bad. The bass could be fuller and go lower for my taste but again it's pretty good. It's deep, tight and punchy. I just don't believe it goes down to 18Hz like BMW says - feels more like 30Hz.

#20 ·
Lots of good information here guys thanks! :thumbup: I'm not an audiophile and don't listen to music really loud and I am happy with the Logic7 in my e92 but was just concerned with some of the reports I've been hearing. It sounds like the bottom line is I at last need the Hi-Fi and if I'm not happy with that then I can replace the amp.

By the way, is the enhanced audio option distinguished visually by speakers with a silver trim ring around them? I've noticed some M3s speakers are that way and others are black. The grille of these silver trimmed speakers is also more transparent.

#21 ·
By the way, is the enhanced audio option distinguished visually by speakers with a silver trim ring around them? I've noticed some M3s speakers are that way and others are black. The grille of these silver trimmed speakers is also more transparent.
Yes

#25 · (Edited)
Oh, they do? Are you sure that applies to the M3? I know on the non M 3 series Harmon Kardon is replacing Logic7 as an option, but it is standard equipment on the M3? Do you have a link to more information on this?

edit: Just checked the 2011 ordering guide and there is no mention of Harmon Kardon system for the m3. M3 comes standard with Radio Professional and Hi-Fi Audio with the enhanced audio as an option. 335's come standard with just BMW professional radio and no hi-fi with Harmon Kardon as an option.

#31 ·
I wanted to circle back and say I've been listening to music most of the time now in the e90 with Enhanced Premium Sound as opposed to before in the e46 with HK where a rarely listened to anything. Two reasons, this system sounds WAY better and the ability for me to listen directly from my iPhone makes it more convenient than changing discs. But mostly it's the fact that it sounds so much better.

Now that it's getting warmer, I've been listening with the windows opened and noticed low bass response is much better than when the windows are closed. It's much richer and deeper. I always felt the low bass was lacking/thin but now I realize the system is "congested". Any ideas on how to fix it (other than driving with the windows down all the time)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.