BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW 528E Starting Problems

23K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  M_Bimmer 
#1 ·
My Bmw 528e 1988 was running very well until 4 weeks ago. It was parked outside for about 8 hours at about - 30 degree centigrade. I do not usually plug the car . Anyway it refused to start that day. The engine cranked well but it refused to catch. Eventually the battery power was gone and I had to trickle charge the battery for about eight hours.

Next morning it started quite well but ran very rough. After some time the roughness improved and I could drive the car home. I thought that the battery was the problem and it was replaced. After the replacement of the battery the engine started but ran very rough. I tried to take the car for a drive but I could not go for more than 200 feet when it died on me. However, I was able to restart the car only to die again almost immediately. I had to have the car towed to my mechanic who replaced the sparkplugs and the air filter.

The problem continued and I had to take the car to a second mechanic who again replaced the sparkplugs saying that the other sparkplugs were not the right type along with the distributor. The car continued to give the same problem and this time the camshaft sensor was changed. This did not improve the situation.

The rough starting and driving is intermittent in nature. Sometimes the car starts well and runs very well. At least once or twice while it was running quite well it lost its power and the check engine light came on with rough running. The problem is intermittent and I do not know what can be done to correct it. I deeply appreciate any advice and help.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a 2008 535xi and experienced problems that sound quite similar. The problem ended up being a fuel injector which was replaced. I would get an engine malfunction reduced power icon which would go away eventually. Some times it would start hard and then run rather badly. Some times it would just run a little rough. The dealer was reluctant to replace the injector because of the cost and the fact it never showed a DME code that clearly implicated the injector. All it would show is that cylinder three was misfiring at some time. They replaced the spark plug a few times.

#5 ·
Just want to throw this out as a possibility. You could have some 'bad' gas in your system.....meaning you could have some 'extra' moisture in your gas/gas tank and because you live in a cold region it causes starting problems.
So try adding a gas treatment that would help remove the 'possible' extra moisture in your system. I use 'Seafoam' from time to time. Good luck!

#7 ·
Hey everyone;

So I've done the gas treatment, and it hasn't been effective. Also, I thought that this phenomenon was related to the cold weather, however just last weekend it took me 20 mins to start the car. The symptoms seem like it is not getting gas, but this isn't the case....

#8 ·
You're sure it's getting gas? There's two fuel pumps, one in the tank and one under the car. Both need to be working properly to develop correct pressure. Older cars have lots of corrosion issues especially with electrical connections and relays. Check these carefully. The fuel filter may also be part of the problem, and cheap to replace.:dunno:

#9 ·
It could also be that your main relay or your fuel relay are going bad. You can check the fuel relay by switching it with your horn relay. Also your tranny sensors might be going which will cause the car to not get gas or spark. I would also take your distriputor cap off and see what kind of condition it is in. Last but least clean up your fuses and make sure they are all nice and tight.

Andy

#10 ·
It could also be that your main relay or your fuel relay are going bad. You can check the fuel relay by switching it with your horn relay. Also your tranny sensors might be going which will cause the car to not get gas or spark. I would also take your distriputor cap off and see what kind of condition it is in. Last but least clean up your fuses and make sure they are all nice and tight.

Andy
It's good to know the horn and fuel pump relays are the same. This is a big help in diagnosing problems. We just had a thread regarding a problem like this on the E46 forum (I've got one of those too). The relays are also the same on those newer 3-series cars. :thumbup: A bad cap, rotor, or ignition wires, along with the crankshaft position sensor can also lead to these kinds of problems.

#15 · (Edited)
E28 NO START: Troubleshooting guide.
Before you check anything fuel related:::::: Check for spark, super Easy, and quick,,, Plugs, Wires, Cap and Rotor, and Coil, All easily accessible and Cold Start Valve!
1- Check Main Relay, and Fuel Pump relay: Best idea to simply change both. they are really cheap!
2- There is one more relay many people overlook and that is the OBC Relay: If your E28 is equipped with the full On Board Computer, and Has the "CODE" function, that Code Button allows you to enter a Fuel Kill code, to disable the fuel injection system for theft protection! so if your OBC Relay which is a Large black box under the driver steering Colum, then that will cut power to the fuel injectors and NO START.
3- Once you have ruled out steps 1-3 Move to checking the fuel pressure regulator- When you crank the engine, check the pressure in the hose before and after the Fuel Pressure Regulator.
3- If that passes, next thing to check would be the fuel filter and BOTH fuel pumps, Pre- In tank, Elec near the Fuel Filter, When was the last time you changed it??
4- If all else Passes you have a BAD MOTRONIC ECU which controls your injection system..........Located in your Glove Box under the vinyl cover/flap!

#16 · (Edited)
528e OBC!

Even though this is an older thread..I figured it would be good to update ya'll about my OBC RELAY nightmare..My 86' is of course a gem of a car..a 5 spd. w/ 175k..easily my best car and one I have really enjoyed..I started having problems with my car stalling out of nowhere in Brooklyn NY where I live..and there.. that's a BIG problem..it's street work..period.. eventually after replacing all the obvious possibilities I was still having the same trouble..sometimes not for mos..and sometimes twice in a week!..and one day while checking the ignition switch for power (some goober tried to steal my cc module (?) the night before..potentially in my mind screwing something else up..but he gave up)..so I'm under there on my back just checking for a bad con. with the car running when I just GRAZED the lower 4 wire green clip plug into the OBC relay and the car dies..I start it right back up,touched the green/red wire and it died again..now every road in NYC are quite simply the worst roads this side of Calcutta..THE WORST..even though it is firmly in it's bracket, this wire into this connector/or the clip con. itself ..is not right..(bumps?) so I drive 650 mi. to MI. where I'm from, and just 10 miles in..I get a gr alt light! what! my battery's dead!..and I don't dare touch this wire..I luckily rolled into a gas station..get a jump..30 seconds after pulling the cables it dies again..so it's "c'mon buddy ONE more time" okay, it starts! it idles,it's charging, away I go..I didn't shut her off until I got to MI. 10 hrs. later..whew!..so I check alt connections/starter con. etc (btw spd.sens./alter./batt/coil/cap.AND fuel filter are all 6 mos. old with a new regulator 2 wks. ago)..now with the car running here yesterday in my brothers garage,any contact with this wire caused a stall..bewildered..we check again to see g/r wire connection INTO the port was feeble,,and eventually today it came out..(YAWN,, ya'll diggin' this nightmare so far?) so very carefully we soldered in a good connection to this clip..and at the moment NO START (actually it was no start today at all even before wire came out)..and when we move the wire with the key on it clicks at the main relay..all electrical works fine..but no spark..coil test hot,fuel pumps can be heard..what?..So tomorrow it goes to a buddy, the best mechanic in the state of MI..I am p/od!..Also BTW.. the 5 prong main relay is the same as when I bought the car 5 yrs. ago, a Bosch..And in my troubleshooting,not one new replacement has ever worked..and I've tried 3!..anyway I'll get to the bottom of this..any help is appreciated greatly as I may need that 4 hole female end clip..(I know..'right buddy') but the moral is DO NOT OVERLOOK THE OBC RELAY..IT IS A RULER OF YOUR PERFORMANCE.. FLAT OUT!....Thanks B'FEST and have a nice day!..superdavenyc

#17 ·
Even though this is an older thread..I figured it would be good to update ya'll about my OBC RELAY nightmare..My 86' is of course a gem of a car..a 5 spd. w/ 175k..easily my best car and one I have really enjoyed..I started having problems with my car stalling out of nowhere in Brooklyn NY where I live..and there.. that's a BIG problem..it's street work..period.. eventually after replacing all the obvious possibilities I was still having the same trouble..sometimes not for mos..and sometimes twice in a week!..and one day while checking the ignition switch for power (some goober tried to steal my cc module (?) the night before..potentially in my mind screwing something else up..but he gave up)..so I'm under there on my back just checking for a bad con. with the car running when I just GRAZED the lower 4 wire green clip plug into the OBC and the car dies..I start it right back up,touched the green/red wire and it died again..now every road in NYC are quite simply the worst roads this side of Calcutta..THE WORST..even though it is firmly in it's bracket, this wire into this connector/or the clip con. itself ..is not right..(bumps?) so I drive 650 mi. to MI. where I'm from, and just 10 miles in..I get a gr alt light! what! my battery's dead!..and I don't dare touch this wire..I luckily rolled into a gas station..get a jump..30 seconds after pulling the cables it dies again..so it's "c'mon buddy ONE more time" okay, it starts! it idles,it's charging, away I go..I didn't shut her off until I got to MI. 10 hrs. later..whew!..so I check alt connections/starter con. etc (btw spd.sens./alter./batt/coil/cap. are all 6 mos. old with a new regulator 2 wks. ago)..now with the car running here yesterday in my brothers garage,any contact with this wire caused a stall..bewildered..we check again to see g/r wire connection INTO the port was feeble,,and eventually today it came out..(YAWN,, ya'll diggin' this nightmare so far?) so very carefully we soldered in a good connection to this clip..and at the moment NO START (actually it was no start today at all even before wire came out)..and when we move the wire with the key on it clicks at the main relay..all electrical works fine..but no spark..coil test hot,fuel pumps can be heard..what?..So tomorrow it goes to a buddy, the best mechanic in the state of MI..I am p/od!..Also BTW.. the 5 prong main relay is the same as when I bought the car 5 yrs. ago, a Bosch..And in my troubleshooting,not one new replacement has ever worked..and I've tried 3!..anyway I'll get to the bottom of this..any help is appreciated greatly as I may need that 4 hole female end clip..(I know..'right buddy') but the moral is DO NOT OVERLOOK THE OBC RELAY..IT IS A RULER OF YOUR PERFORMANCE.. FLAT OUT!....Thanks B'FEST and have a nice day!..superdavenyc
Good luck with your problem, let us know how it all works out.

#18 · (Edited)
528e OBC

Thank you sir..I most certainly will..even though I feel after going thru the same thing today,including trying my backup Motronic,that it's going to be something dumb and embarrassing.. it just turns over,even the fuel can be felt in the rail,all dash lights work etc..today I rechecked and cleaned all my connections carefully and even tried jumping port 11 to 14 on the diagnosticator to bypass ign. switch..just turn over..I just wonder how it is I made it 650 miles the other day..divine BMW god intervention?

#19 ·
Thank you sir..I most certainly will..even though I feel after going thru the same thing today,including trying my backup Motronic,that it's going to be something dumb and embarrassing.. it just turns over,even the fuel can be felt in the rail,all dash lights work etc..today I rechecked and cleaned all my connections carefully and even tried jumping port 11 to 14 on the diagnosticator to bypass ign. switch..just turn over..I just wonder how it is I made it 650 miles the other day..divine BMW god intervention?
Any kind of intervention other than a trip to the dealer is divine for us BMW owners!:thumbup:

#20 · (Edited)
528e OBC relay

Today the hit's just kept on coming..I discovered a seam crack in the throttle/air flow boot..so I have that ordered..I have taped it well for the moment just to keep it airtight (I know..ridiculous)..so I cleaned out air flow which wasn't really dirty..and in my infinite wisdom which is infinitely unwise at times,I assumed that because my coil was good that my plugs were sparking..well guess what genius me..no spark..so now, I believe it's perhaps 2 things ..that OBC connection is good INTO the clip but ? as it sits in it's mount.. it is tight, but when I move the wire the main relay clicks haphazardly..which may affect the ECU's distinction of what's what..(the wires into the main/fp relays underneath are sound) and the crank pos. senser I have not replaced..do they die fast or slow?..why would I have intermittent success?..I may need to try some junkin' for that 4 wire fem.end,but this is lower MI. not necessarily old BMW land.. or see if the dealer will sell a $2 plug for less than $93!..I wouldn't be surprised if this OBC stuff happens to 1 out of every 10,000 cars..The car ran perfect last Sunday on the hwy. and now..my automotive anger is rising..I do love my car..it's no beater..I try hard,but I feel I've let it down, and I'm missing work and losing sleep..you guy's know the feeling..it's not good..AND I have to EXPLAIN this doo-doo to my mechanic Monday..and he's a busy guy..

#24 ·
528e OBC relay

Today the hit's just kept on coming..I discovered a seam crack in the throttle/air flow boot..so I have that ordered..I have taped it well for the moment just to keep it airtight (I know..ridiculous)..so I cleaned out air flow which wasn't really dirty..and in my infinite wisdom which is infinitely unwise at times,I assumed that because my coil was good that my plugs were sparking..well guess what genius me..no spark..so now, I believe it's perhaps 2 things ..that OBC connection is good INTO the clip but ? as it sits in it's mount.. it is tight, but when I move the wire the main relay clicks haphazardly..which may affect the ECU's distinction of what's what..(the wires into the main/fp relays underneath are sound) and the crank pos. senser I have not replaced..do they die fast or slow?..why would I have intermittent success?..I may need to try some junkin' for that 4 wire fem.end,but this is lower MI. not necessarily old BMW land.. or see if the dealer will sell a $2 plug for less than $93!..I wouldn't be surprised if this OBC stuff happens to 1 out of every 10,000 cars..The car ran perfect last Sunday on the hwy. and now..my automotive anger is rising..I do love my car..it's no beater..I try hard,but I feel I've let it down, and I'm missing work and losing sleep..you guy's know the feeling..it's not good..AND I have to EXPLAIN this doo-doo to my mechanic Monday..and he's a busy guy..
My son's first car has this problem, thanks for the input, looking at the wiring diagrams i don't think the obc is our problem, i have power at pin 86 of the main relay, the obc kills this. I am loosing injector pulse and do have spark and power to injectors, what did you find out ?

#21 ·
528e OBC relay

Well..how do I put this?..I checked the starter/alt con. a million times and never noticed the GOOD GOLLY GOSH DARN CRANK SENSOR CASING was dry rotted and falling apart with the 3 clips exposed and barely connected!..YOWZA!..I fit it back in carefully and elec. taped the flat prongs like a sandwich..But still the OBC relay clip at the box is squirrelly too.I tooth picked it to make the connection tighter and it started right up..I've noticed with these cars that you can never overlook your very own idiot level..it usually is always something obvious or like this COMPLETELY MISSED..Why?..because they are great cars..but still..the OBC relay is as important as ANYTHING..Thanks all!..

#22 ·
528e OBC relay

Well..how do I put this?..I checked the starter/alt con. a million times and never noticed the GOOD GOLLY GOSH DARN CRANK SENSOR CASING was dry rotted and falling apart with the 3 clips exposed and barely connected!..It wasn't that way last fall..YOWZA!..I fit it back in carefully and elec. taped the flat prongs like a sandwich..But still the OBC relay clip at the box is squirrelly too.I tooth picked it to make the connection tighter and it started right up..off to the store and off to the yard..what a huge releif..I've noticed with these cars that you can never overlook your very own idiot level..it usually is always something obvious or like this COMPLETELY MISSED..Why?..because they are smart well made cars..but still..the OBC relay is as important as ANYTHING..Thanks all!..

#23 ·
Corrosion, rust, and deterioration of rubber components (hoses, wiring insulation, seals, gaskets, etc.) are the regular and continuous problems us E28 owners must deal with. Good that you solved you current problem, but expect more in the future.

#25 ·
Fuel filter?

I think I read through most of the posts and didn't see the fuel filter mentioned once (or did I miss it?)...

Anyways, I had a problem just like post #1, drove fine, then all of sudden bad running, ran good for a bit, and repeated - no start, bad running etc....88 535i....did a lot of digging and sure, the vehicle isn't new, so many rabbit holes came up, chasing this and that...a $8 filter that hadn't been changed in some time...was the culprit...not saying it's yours,,,but is it worth $8? Umm, if it is, great, if not, feel free to continue chasing the water in the fuel, fuel pump, the throttle body, MAF, etc...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.