BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Trading in my 2011 F10.. Already..

6K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  XZLR8 
#1 ·
I know, it's crazy.. But, I think I can get it worked out where I don't lose too much money..

I bought a 2011 535i off the lot. (last time I won't "build" one myself)

I thought the "sport package" included a sport suspension.. I'm still not certain if the sport package has the same suspension as the non sport, but I'm thinking it does.

It has:

-Sport
-Nav
-Premium 1
-Comfort Access
-Convenience Package
-Ipod
-Parking Distance Sensor

The problem that I've posted before is that the handling just really seems loose.. Coming from the 335, it's a big difference.

I'm reading on here that the Dynamic Handling Package, is a must if your a sport/enthusiast driver.

So I went in to the CA, and said this is what I want to build:

-Sport
-Nav
-iPod
-Comfort Access
-Dynamic Handling Package

My questions are - And Sorry for the neurotic volume of questions.. :)

1. Is the DHP really noticeable?

-Can more people comment on the difference between the DHP and non-DHP package?

-Will it tighten the suspension, be tighter in the steering, and greatly reduce body roll to the point that it's worth all this trouble?

Would anyone not do the DHP again if given the choice?

-Arent' there some kinks with the DHP that people have noticed, if so, what are they?

2. Would you trade up the convenience package, premium 1 package and park distance package for DHP?

The premium 1 is kind of a joke, dimming mirrors, and ambiance lighting.. come on.

The convenience package is kind of cool, but I can close my own trunk, and re-close my doors, if I close them incorrectly.

The park distance control is pretty usefull actually and I have been enjoying it, but again, not a necessity.

I will stand to lose around $2,000 if I do this, which I don't mind, it's the price I pay for not researching the car properly, and being impulsive.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thx,

Jeff

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Test drive is indispensable. Also, without premium 1, i believe you won't have leather. And without leather you can't get sport (because of the seats, which are leather only), which you need for dynamic handling. If I'm right about all this (and I'm not looking it up because it's not my money), it seems like you need to do a little more homework.

#4 ·
Dealer was honest with me and said they can sell it for close to new price. I won't argue with them. Also your right about premium, so I recalculate and took off comfort access and we are still in the ballpark. Even of I hve to drop 3-4k it may still be worth it if I have the car for several years.

#5 · (Edited)
Expect to lose more than 3 or 4 thousand dollars. If the dealer gets the car now, he will want to book it for 3,000.00 below his drop dead cost. Then he wants to make a profit on the new car. Expect this flip to cost you a minimum of 7,000.00 plus the extra equipment. It's more than the suspension. The power steering is now electric. This is a much larger and heavier car than the 335i. There is an adjustment period. Drive your car for a month, stay off the BMW site, and if at that time you still HATE the car, trade it in. I would think the car will win you over.

#6 · (Edited)
Sorry to here this but I think you are making a good decision. But you MUST drive a car with the ZDH BEFORE you make a final decision. Unfortunately, this IS going to cost you a bundle. But the 550i I drove with the ZDH was absolutely AWESOME. It made my 650i seem like a Model A. Well not really, but you get the idea. And my 650i would not be the same car without the sport package that allows me to change the steering effort and the throttle response depending on my mood and driving situation. I have no suspension settings while the F10 with ZDH has three, plus the Sport Plus setting. I think the latter is only safe on the track, however.

#7 ·
It sounds like he's saying that the dealer is going to give him a break on this deal - assuming the dealer comes through, seems like good timing. Losing 3k right now is nothing compared to a year of depreciation if he waited, and is abnormally low considering typical "drive away" loss on a brand new 60k car.

#8 ·
there's *no* way any dealer not related by family is giving him (or anyone else for that matter) that deal.

#11 ·
If you don't like the car, switch it now before you spend to much $$$ on it.

I have impulsively bought 2 cars, I hated one (a scion tC, I know....a week in I realized the gravity of my error) and a Mazdaspeed 3 (fun little car, but if I had spent less then, I would be about to order a 335i now, instead of waiting 9 months)

As stated earlier, you are a car enthusiast. A car to you is not just a tool to get from A to B, it is an instrument of your happiness and if you have the means, drive EXACTLY what you want.

My $.02

#13 ·
I think you can claim sales tax as a tax deduction. Plus you don't pay income taxes.

#20 ·
Definitely take the test drive in a car with DHP. Or order the M-Sport version with a September or October build. mmmmmmmmmmmm M-sport.

#21 ·
I too bought a 535 without the DHP. When I ordered the car, the salesperson didn't describe the option clearly. I tried to change my order with BMW when I learned what the option was really about but was too late. I test drove mine and one with the DHP option. My salesperson felt bad for messing up and gave me the car for $1,400 over invoice. I decided on that day to take the better deal and save the money. I've wish I didn't. I like the car but I'm disappointed every time I turn the wheel.

#22 ·
I too bought a 535 without the DHP. When I ordered the car, the salesperson didn't describe the option clearly. I tried to change my order with BMW when I learned what the option was really about but was too late. I test drove mine and one with the DHP option. My salesperson felt bad for messing up and gave me the car for $1,400 over invoice. I decided on that day to take the better deal and save the money. I wish I didn't. I like the car but I'm disappointed every time I turn the wheel.

#23 ·
You guys are making me really glad I went ahead and ordered the DHP. I was on the fence... and confused by all of the misinformation out there.

#29 ·
1. I can't imagine how trading a car will "only" cost the OP $5,000, unless the dealer is eating a *massive* chunk of change. Are there any lightly-used F10's for sale? Would lacking a sport suspension/active handling (ZDH) result in diminished value?
>> As an aside (if I were the dealer), even if someone bought 10 cars from me, I wouldn't take back a car without paying a lot less for it. That's the nature of the auto business.

2. To 1stTime -- I would put a sport suspension in before I'd try to retrofit with some electronic/mechanical wizardry. Yes, it would cost a lot more. Not sure it's even possible with all the computers and systems (ABS and the 10,000 other things).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.