BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Brake Caliper Rebuild DIY Video

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jvr826 
#1 ·
I have uploaded the video I produced after rebuilding all four calipers on my 330ci about a month ago... forgot to post it here!

http://youtu.be/C3UCMgKiFxU

If you have any questions, fire away and I'll do my best to answer. This was the first time I've done caliper rebuilds and it was pretty straight forward.

#2 ·
Great job! Brings back memories of when I rebuilt all four of mine. :thumbup:

What size (inner/outer diameter) clear tubing did you use? I can never seem to find the right size...either too big or too small. I err on the smaller one but have to always force it over the bleeder screw. I don't think it should be that difficult. I've purchased from both Lowes and Home Depot but they both have the same sizes. :tsk:

I have always used the one man brake bleed method--works great. :D

#4 ·
Thanks for doing this J, I have 181k miles, all commuting, this might be a good idea next time I do brakes. Had I not seen this, I would have bought new calipers.
After seeing this, I might just rebuild the existing calipers. It's a much easier choice after seeing the video. Thanks again, good work!!

#6 · (Edited)
Awesome! Especially the leaf blower attempt. :rofl:

So, on a daily driver with fluid changes every two years, when would this be recommended? I'm running about 9k miles per year.

EDIT: Also, I linked this into the wiki section that has the DIY writeup.

#7 ·
I was really pulling for the leaf blower, but it let me down.

I don't think fluid changes have much to do with the condition of dust boots. Inner seals and piston, yes, definitely. You saw how clean mine were. I flush the fluid multiple times a year when I'm active at the track.

Heat and environmental conditions have a bigger impact on the dust boots. My brakes have been "well used" at track events where they are required to woah the car down from high speeds repeatedly all day long. I'm certain this is the reason they were in such bad shape.

It's a good idea to examine them well during brake jobs. I bet most people don't even look at them until they have a problem like a seized caliper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.