BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E90 Reliability??

15K views 45 replies 38 participants last post by  Saintor 
#1 ·
Hi all, This is my first post. I apologize in advance if this topic has been discussed ad nauseum: The E90's reliability. How is it in general? Did BMW iron out any early model bugs before they shipped the E90 Stateside? Is there any indication yet as to how it compares to the previous model? I may buy my car tomorrow so, any input will be so very much appreciated. Thank you!

#2 ·
A few people have reported problems but the number of problems reported is MUCH lower than with the 5er or 7er.

Nothing out of the ordinary, that would preclude you from consumating a purchase in any event.

#3 ·
zznalg said:
Hi all, This is my first post. I apologize in advance if this topic has been discussed ad nauseum: The E90's reliability. How is it in general? Did BMW iron out any early model bugs before they shipped the E90 Stateside? Is there any indication yet as to how it compares to the previous model? I may buy my car tomorrow so, any input will be so very much appreciated. Thank you!
:wave: Welcome to the 'fest!

For what its worth, I've been observing here for at least since the E90s arrived in the States. To my observation, there's not been really a lot of posts regarding reliability or at least not that many that I recall.

My car is the previous model ('03 E46) has been pretty reliable; two and a bit years, 23K and no real major issue to speak of.

What part of New Mexico are you in? We may be going to Cimmarron camping again this summer; great place.

#4 ·
An opinion culled from reading the forums...

Since it takes me forever to make a decision, I've been reading these forums and those of competitive cars for many months now and have to say I've seen definite trends along the lines of reliability.

Its completely unscientific, but I'm very impressed with the very small number of problems reported on here on bimmerfest. The numbers of problem, and the fact that most are very minor - more what I would call annoyances - seems as good or better than almost any other models I've read about. And that does include the Japanese competition. I worried about BMW reliability a year ago, but I've been convinced this new model is very reliable.

#7 ·
Reliability?

About a month ago, I get in the car in the morning, put the key in and press the button... lights blink, radio blinks, key icon blinks. Take key out, put back in, retry. Nothing. Tried to jump... nothing. Tow truck driver shows up to tow it and attempts to jump and it does. I let it idle for about 1/2 hour. No further electrical problems, no other symptoms. Cause unknown.

Last week, my wife is driving home and she calls to tell me that a red thermometer is lit up on the dashboard. She's about 2 miles from home (after 1/2 drive) so I tell her to keep driving to the house. The same tow truck driver shows up to tow it and laughs. Says he's been towing "a lot" of the new BMWs to the local dealership lately. Turns out, it was a busted water pump that caused the overheating. (Nice job changing from belt-driven to electric motor driven). The coolant overheated, boiled and cracked the expansion tank. The car is still at the dealer. :mad:

Luckily, the car is mad-fun to drive when it's running.

#9 ·
9,000 miles in 6 months with a 325i. No major mechanical problems (fingers crossed). Oxygen sensor replaced but minor issue (just used more gas for awhile). BMW has upgraded the software twice for a recall and Bluetooth issue.

Great car to drive. I have taken it on two trips (1500 miles) and it performs better with time.

#10 ·
BMW has some sort of "mental blocK" when it comes to cooling systems. They haven't been able to design a reliable cooling system since about 1990. SInce then, every engine they've made has had various premature cooling system failures (radiators, expansion tanks, thermostats, water pumps). The e90 apparently carries on this noble tradition. When BMW announced the electric water pumps in the N52, many of us groaned knowing that BMW had managed to doube their chances for failure by combining 2 things they do badly into 1 part: electrical and cooling system components. Sounds like that's the case... But, in all fairness, it really does seem like the e90 is one of the more reliable cars to come from BMW in a while.

HectorCadiz said:
About a month ago, I get in the car in the morning, put the key in and press the button... lights blink, radio blinks, key icon blinks. Take key out, put back in, retry. Nothing. Tried to jump... nothing. Tow truck driver shows up to tow it and attempts to jump and it does. I let it idle for about 1/2 hour. No further electrical problems, no other symptoms. Cause unknown.

Last week, my wife is driving home and she calls to tell me that a red thermometer is lit up on the dashboard. She's about 2 miles from home (after 1/2 drive) so I tell her to keep driving to the house. The same tow truck driver shows up to tow it and laughs. Says he's been towing "a lot" of the new BMWs to the local dealership lately. Turns out, it was a busted water pump that caused the overheating. (Nice job changing from belt-driven to electric motor driven). The coolant overheated, boiled and cracked the expansion tank. The car is still at the dealer. :mad:

Luckily, the car is mad-fun to drive when it's running.

#11 ·
With this kind of question, you are bound to get a lot of personal anecdotes. (which is probably what you are looking for) The problem of course is that you really can't draw any scientific conclusions from such small number of samples.

Although far from undisputed, I believe CR annual reliability survey is as scientific as they get. It surveys close to a million owners. In general European makes have been the least reliable over the last few years, MB and VW being the consistent worst. I think BMW has been somewhat better than those guys, although still placed below industry average. I think this year BMW avoided being one of the 10 worst brands. Also X5 got on the used car best bet.

#12 ·
1000km, 4 weeks, zero problem

#14 ·
BMW has been the more reliable European brands, compared to its rivals such as M-B, Audi and VW etc. I wouldn't say BMW is below average, but in fairness, it is not as good as the most reliable Japanese brands such as Toyota (Lexus included) and Honda (Acura).

#16 ·
I don't understand the quality problems with the Germans automakers. My parents bought a Mercedes in 1979 and drove it 10 years with very few problems. This was, of course, a time when US cars were really junk. I wonder if the Germans rested on their laurels while eveyone else moved forward.

#18 ·
kilroy said:
I don't understand the quality problems with the Germans automakers. My parents bought a Mercedes in 1979 and drove it 10 years with very few problems. This was, of course, a time when US cars were really junk. I wonder if the Germans rested on their laurels while eveyone else moved forward.
Well, yes, they did :rofl:

I bought a Mercedes in 1999 and it was in the shop more than our Chrysler Town and Country Minivan.

Needless to say, we no longer own either of them :D

#19 ·
Had a 2001 e46 for 36 months and 43K.

Was in the shop once for driver side power window issue.

e90 for about 2 months and 800 miles.

No issues so far (but you wouldn't expect any).

Again this is a personal anecdote.

JD Power ranked the outgoing e46 a little bit above average for the industry - I don't think there is enough data for the 2006 models.

#21 ·
kilroy said:
A bunch of factors: Mercedes is a special case; before about 1994 they designed their cars in a similar fashion to aircraft; cost wasn't a concern adn they'd take as long as they watned to develop them. Plus, they weren't concerned w/ having every last little feature. Then, Lexus came along and Mercedes started to get nervous. THey tried to quickly cut costs and model cycles, and all hell broke loose. They've been trying to recover ever since. In BMW's case, I'm not sure they ever had as good a reputation for quality and durability. They've never been the best, nor have they ever been the worst. They do seem to improve, but they also make pretty stupid mistakes qaulity-wise, and seem to take a long time to correct these mistakes. Audi and VW never had a great reputation for quality and reliability and continue with this reputation today. FOr the Germans to really compete with Toyota/LExus on quality and cost they'd need to adopt more lean production techniques (aka Toyota production system) and continuous improvement. Yes, all manufacturers do this to some extent now, but the Germans still have a way to go. The one notable exception is Porsche, which hired some Japanese consultants in the mid-90s to teach them these techniques. Porsche now has the highest quality of any German manufacturer (with the exception of the VW built Cayenne).

#22 ·
This was my biggest concern, and the biggest reason i've started reading up and joining this forum. I wanted to make sure I understood, without a doub, what i will be getting myself into. Certain things i hear end up turning me off, then i hear all the pros and i say:drive:

I've decided i'm waiting to see what the coupe has in store to make my final decision, on model that is. My next car will be a BMW.

I think the same thing applies to all cars. You either have loads of trouble or you don't. And honestly, being a car-nut there is nothing else out there on the road the brings a smile to my face. Well besides Ferraris, but i cant afford that yet.:)

#23 · (Edited)
2 major E90 Issues

Bought my e90/325i pre-sept price increase, got 9k miles as of today and
the only 2 major issues I have are

1. the mileage just keep racking up, since its so much fun to drive and

2. Im closing the borderline in Traffic Citations debit points!

....other than that,
it's okaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
:thumbup:

#24 ·
zznalg said:
You won't be able to get much information here or anywhere. E90 is just too new. Any decent cars will not have major problem within the first 2 years.

If long term reliability is your top concern, the BMW is probably not for you.

eel

#25 ·
Bmw

:p Hi, my name is javier I've had a BMW 325i/2003 and now a 330i/2006 and i never have had any problems at all.....Now with that said i know it might sound bias but i had a freind who bought a new GMC and a new Mercedes when they both came out with new body styles I toll him to waite cause they will need to work out the quirks and things of that nature and it always seems to happen that way...:dunno:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.