BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2006 X3.0i

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  rmerkushen 
#1 · (Edited)
Extremely disappointed BMW owner. My car will be 7 YO on March 14th. I was recently quoted $9150 to replace my front differential and oil pan which was destroyed due to my front differential cracking/falling off into my drive shaft which punctured the oil pan.

69k miles. . I do not know much about cars, but what I can tell you is this shouldn't be happening to luxury vehicles with low mileage. I had my head gasket repaired last year around this time for close to a grand. Sunroof leaked and destroyed my on board computer/navi etc (located in the trunk). That was repaired in the beginning of last summer @ roughly 6k. Unreasonable, ridiculous and extremely disappointed. Getting rid of this car ASAP- and NEVER getting into another BMW. Customer service was atrocious! Thoughts on these type of repairs for a beamer with less than 70K miles.

#2 · (Edited)
I don't consider my '06 X3 to really be a "luxury vechicle" but I suppose others might. To me it is a useful car that has a rather poor interior (peeling switches, latches, cracking seat covers, and seperating seatbacks, with poorly cut carpeting. However that is not your problem. The mechanical problems you have mentioned pretty well come close to totalling out the value of your car. I suspect if you were to sell it (in working order) you might get $10K from a dealer -- perhaps more from a private party, but not a lot more. You will get virtually nothing with it broken. Is there any chance that you can work with the local BMW store to help with the repairs? You are correct in that the problem you have should not have happened and there was something amiss here. If not, then an indy using salvage parts might be the most economical way to go -- then when it is running get rid of it. Sorry for your misfortune!:angel:

#3 ·
Well, the conditions you mentioned would definitely not constitute as a LUXURY vehicle either. The pricing however should perform and last like most luxury vehicles should/do. And yes, unfortunately you are correct this pretty much totals out my vehicle. I had a slight feeling something unfortunate like this would happen to me, out of warranty, forcing me to lose the trade in money. I REALLY REALLY wanted to get rid of it, trade it in at 10-12 k and use it for a new car, DEFINITELY not a BMW. It is quite unfortunate that with under 70k miles I have to experience such mechanical issues. ONLY my luck. The only lucky thing here, is that my father's friend owns a shop and was already able to save me 1800 on parts. He will not charge me NEARLY as much on labor. It is amazing how after going into BMW to drop off their loaner, that lately seems so hard to get one while having your car serviced and paying them loads of $$$, once they found out I was having another shop fix my car, they were curious as to the estimate I was given- I suppose they wanted to work with me on price, but they don't use used parts. AND they already put a bad taste in my mouth. :cry:

Moral of this story, I will pay to have it fixed by my Dad's friends shop and hope to get 10k from a dealer. WHAT A SHAME, thought I would never want to be in any car other than a BMW

#4 ·
Looks like you have done about as good as you could do under the circumstances. I really would get rid of it very shortly after it is fixed before something else goes south -- and believe me it can -- on you. I am waiting for the new Jeep GC diesel before I move out of my '06. I like diesel and want to get back into it. The X5 diesel just seems to have too many problems for my taste.:angel:

#6 ·
I am so sorry to hear your story but remember, its not only BMW, any car you get might have horror stories to tell.

When you produce millions of cars, one or two WILL go wrong and at that point it is a matter of how the customer service will treat you and help you.

I am also disappointed with BMW customer service, that is why I always buy used (not BMW certified) and maintain at indy shop.

A friend of mine, with an Audi Q7 TDI had all his air bags deploy Monday morning while he started the car to go to work. Audi Canada will replace them all for free and he is out of warranty. FYI BMW N.AMERICA.

#7 ·
Ken, I saw the infamous "moose test" which appeared to be the result of serious overloading -- or at least when the JGC was loaded properly and retested with Chrysler engineers present it seemed to do just fine. Still, it is a cause for concern and one that I will keep in mind -- knowing of course that some major tweaks were done to the car after the tests. BTW there has been no "moose test" done on any of the recent X cars as far as I can tell. The last one was an X5 with the old body style -- but not reading Swedish it is hard to find the info.:D How are the Xenons working out for you?:angel:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.