BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M50TU Performance ideas

6K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  MeanM50 
#1 ·
So now that I have her running good I am trying to get some ideas to give her a little more pep in the step. I was wondering what kind of ideas people had to improve performance. I would love to take that stock 189hp up over 220hp if I can. Let me know what you think and where I should go to look at aftermarket parts.

#3 ·
1. Chips.
2. Hot cams and headers and (ideally) and chip with a tune just for this setup. The M3 cams would be the hot cams for the m50 engines.
3. Top overhaul with decarbonisation of the head.
4. Turbo or supercharging.
5. Change of rear differential to ratios which improve low end acceleration.
6. Engine transplant.

But frankly, its better to save the money.

#4 ·
Just sell it and buy a 535i, same car 208hp stock, easy 220 with a chip, more torque which works well with heavier cars.

Or buy a 540i for more power yet.

Unless you are going turbo, I don't think I would mod that car much. If it is an automatic I would definately sell it and find a better starting point.

Headers, chip and cams will bring the power up the rev range, and make a better number but it will probably cost you 2 grand if you do all the work. Like everybody is telling you, that money could be better spent. Good Luck

#5 ·
I think everybody misunderstands. Not trying to make a race car.....yet. (When I do I will definitely be looking for an S38 engine or start with a 535i). I'm just trying to give the car I have now a better feel in the pedal. I do any work myself. So I was looking at chipping, intake manifold (heard you could swap this from another motor to improve power), and exhaust. I didn't want to get crazy just a fuller feeling out of the pedal.

#6 · (Edited)
You have not tuned your engine as yet. Diesel flush the crankcase, run water/ethanol mix through the brake booster fitting, use 4 claw spark plugs or brisk silver spark plugs, run 1-3 quarts of diesel in your tank mixed immediately with a full tank of regular to clean out your fuel system, change/clean your air filter and fuel filter, use carb cleaner to ensure that your throttle body is free of carbon, make sure there are no vacuum leaks and no problems with the valve cover gasket, make sure that your rear diff and transmission oil is not dirty, use good thicker oil 40 or 50 weight to improve sealing in your engine, inflate the tires properly, go for a few WOT runs, and then see what your car feels like.

Make sure your tensioners and belts are tight and your pulleys are secure. Spray fan belt spray everywhere for good measure. Remove the fan clutch (test your aux fan first on both settings to confirm that it works perfectly, details in the Bentley manual). Then drive and see what your car feels like.

Then decide if needs any boosting. :)

#13 ·
If you must spend money on it recondition brakes suspension and steering - then get a 4 wheel alignment. Set up correctly you should get much better cornering and have to slow down less - looking faster.

#14 · (Edited)
We can only do 2 wheel alignments on the E34. The rear wheels are dead. But its a good idea to get their camber readings read, recorded and checked against the bentley manual for correctness. Alot of people here have lowered suspensions and its good to check since readings for lowered suspensions are stated in the manual as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.