BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Tpm?

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  roseng 
#1 ·
I am getting a TPM error even after resets. All pressures are correct. I assume I have a bad sensor. How do you tell what wheels are working and how do you test these transmitters?

#2 ·
That's strange, I thought all e63 had the RPA system? This system does not have its own sensors but relies on measurements from each wheel speed sensor from the ABS system. It can determine a change in rolling radius from this & therefore flag this change as a drop in tyre pressure.
During the calibration stage it takes measurements at different speeds, as the diameter will be different as the speed of the car changes. That is why you see the system message "initialising" when you first reset it iDrive.
Have you reset it since you fitted your new M6 wheels? It's under "i" -> "Vehicle Settings" -> "RPA". You must do this after any change in tyre or top up of tyre pressure.

(Tyre = tire)

#3 ·
Roseng -You have a DIS/NCS setup don't you? Connect to DIS and see if you're getting any faults in the system. RRanter is pretty knowledgable with the PC stuff maybe he can point you in the right direction. I'm going into the office for a little while this a.m., but I'll plug into mine when I get home.

#6 ·
+1 on checking codes first before looking at each sensor, if my understanding is correct this is built into the wheel and given you bought these wheels after they were chromed you may have duff sensor???? It is not uncommon !!!

#7 ·
On the TPM system doesn't it give you psi for each tire? On my 7 series it did. You should just be able to look at the affected tire in the system. If you aren't maybe the TPM receiver is bad...

#10 ·
Yes. They mounted the old TPM transmitters on my new wheels. Seemed ok for a few miles. My plan is to go back Thursday and have them pull them all and do an inspection.

It's not showing low pressure it says TPM error. When I do a reset it takes a very long time and then the error message comes up.

Once about a year ago, I had a low tire and the TMP told me there was low pressure, but did not show any specific tire, just an error. After I filled to proper PSI and all was good.

I thought they may have put them in the wrong wheels, but Looks like its the same part # for all 4 wheels.

#11 ·
It sounds like your tire diameter might be out of tolerance from the factory size tire, causing a problem with the speed sensor. I think there is only a 3% difference allowed, without causing a problem. If this is the problem, you could have someone remove this module from the system. This will not fix the problem, but remove the error messages.

What size tires & wheels are you now running?

#12 ·
Herb, thanks for the response, and they are good thoughts.

It's not the speed sensor but the TPM (tire pressure monitor) system.

Same sensors, same tires, new wheels same but size.

#13 · (Edited)
Sounds like you had one fail. Pretty common since they are battery powered, if you google "BMW TPMS battery" you will see all the folks who have discussed trying to change the battery. You have to replace the entire sensor. They are rated for up to 7 years but many have gone in the 4 to 5 year range. As someone stated, if you get a low pressure warning, it tells you which tire. But when the TPMS is not functioning you just get an error that does not specify a tire. Just saw that error when I had a spare on last week. Next time you get a low pressure warning look closely at the diagram of the car on the Idrive screen, my Wife pointed out to me that the wheel that is low shows up in a different color (orange or red?). I never noticed that in previous instances.

The tire shop should be able to use a handheld Tire Pressure Sensor interrogator, you walk it around to each tire and it reads out the wireless transmitter data. They are kinda pricey to buy yourself, and to be honest why would anyone bother to buy that device. The shop has to unmount/remount/balance the tire to get to it so it isn't a DIY repair.

The only other issue is that the TPMS control unit could crap out, I don't think that is common at all though. Only saw one instance in what I have read.

#14 ·
Sounds like you had one fail. Pretty common since they are battery powered, if you google "BMW TPMS battery" you will see all the folks who have discussed trying to change the battery. You have to replace the entire sensor. They are rated for up to 7 years but many have gone in the 4 to 5 year range. As someone stated, if you get a low pressure warning, it tells you which tire. But when the TPMS is not functioning you just get an error that does not specify a tire. Just saw that error when I had a spare on last week. Next time you get a low pressure warning look closely at the diagram of the car on the Idrive screen, my Wife pointed out to me that the wheel that is low shows up in a different color (orange or red?). I never noticed that in previous instances.

The tire shop should be able to use a handheld Tire Pressure Sensor interrogator, you walk it around to each tire and it reads out the wireless transmitter data. They are kinda pricey to buy yourself, and to be honest why would anyone bother to buy that device. The shop has to unmount/remount/balance the tire to get to it so it isn't a DIY repair.

The only other issue is that the TPMS control unit could crap out, I don't think that is common at all though. Only saw one instance in what I have read.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info. Makes sense that a shop could read each sensor and tell. I'll give that a shot.

Happy Holidays. :wave:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.