BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What feature of your F10 surprised you the most?

11K views 87 replies 46 participants last post by  lindros2 
#1 ·
I tried searching the forums to see if this had already been covered, but couldn't find anything that stuck out.

I've had my F10 back from the VDC for two weeks now and I am completely enamored with it.

Two features have really stuck out to me, not because they are fantastic but because they completely took me by surprise. One is positive; one is negative.

Positive - soft close doors. I love this feature. Always thought it was silly before, but now that I've grown accustomed to it the feature is really great.

Negative - the kick to open trunk. Maybe I'm doing it wrong and need to RTFM, but 50% of the time I try to use it, the thing doesn't work and I find myself pulling my keys out of my pocket (woah is me, right).

What features overwhelmed or underwhelmed y'all?

#38 ·
I guess for me, being my first BMW, discovering what a joy this car is to drive. I am primarily on the interstate with it making a 50 mile round trip work commute generally at or above 75MPH. I was impressed the other day on my way home when I had the chance to pass some traffic doing around 80MPH & the car just very smoothly & quickly accelerated to around 105 MPH without even breathing hard. I'm amazed how this turbo 4 can just sip fuel on the highway & still have so much power left over, & that was in Comfort Mode! Of course the car just feels like its on rails & in its element at that speed:)

#40 · (Edited)
Ok so I got one that made me feel giddy as a school kid with candy in his lunchbox.

So I've been trying to find ways to keep my car in Sport/Sport + mode WHILE being able to control the RPM's as I would be in that mode every day for the sportier steering, use of 1st gear and snappier throttle response, but I just don't like how it unnecessarily keeps the revs up even when it's not needed. So I tried using the Paddles to control it, but I find that if I don't click the paddles enough, it just reverts back to "D" on its own, negating my "RPM controlling".

So, today I tried putting it in DS mode WHILE having it in Sport +, and noticed that on the I/C display it had a more serious "S", then "M" mode when I engaged the paddles. I quickly learned that THIS WAY the car knows you want to actually drive with paddles, and not only doesn't get in your way nor second guess you, it actually helps you in a good way, i.e will downshift to the right gear if you press down once. So I can get my Sport Steering, Sport Throttle Response, and be able to control my RPM's (would be nice if the Auto mode could do it on its own though, i.e give me all "Sport" benefits but the unnecessary high RPM's).

I LOVE this car! :D Learning new things every day. BMW really knows how to make a soft and cuddly luxury car still interesting to drive.

#45 ·
1. Goes to "Park" automatically when engine is switched off
2. Google "send to car"
3. Door handle lights - classy
4. built in HD for storing music
5. real time traffic
6. scroll wheel on steering brings up recent call list
7. cruise control increases the speed to the nearest multiple of 5mph.

#46 · (Edited)
I'd like someone to clarify what features require the extra cost plan. I cannot find the weather on mine, so I'm thinking extra cost. Also, the google download feature - is that extra cost?

BTW, I know I could spend the next three hours reading the manual (between warnings), but A) I don't feel like taking the time B) I actually read a lot of the manual when I got the car and I found it's description of many features to be very hard to comprehend.

#52 ·
#50 ·
Keep up the good work guys; lot of technology on these cars which we are finding by accident. Can't wait to get and play with mine; just signed the ED PO. OK; I know I am a few months away from getting my hands on mine.

#51 ·
Or simply read the manual and you'll know it all pretty quickly :). I downloaded the owners manual and read it through at least 2x while waiting for my car to be built and delivered.

#55 ·
Is the caption "war" significant in any way? Like maybe that's a pick of your X? LOL

#56 ·
:rofl: No. Inside joke. Any time my wife says the phrase "what is it good for", I always yell back "Absolutely Nothing", so I wanted WAR to play with her pick. I change it all the time. Now her pic is on that old Jimmy Castor song "Troglodyte"

http://youtu.be/JNS42Na2mpc

"Gotta find a woman gotta find a woman gotta find a woman gotta find a woman"

#57 ·
I was surprised that as I back up slowly in reverse if I open the door while moving the car will put itself in "park" stopping the car rather abruptly.

#59 ·
I hate that. I've done it more times than I care to recall. I really hope it isn't bad for the tranny. At least in the Bimmer even the abrupt stop is relatively controlled and refined. My E-Class when doing the same thing would stop with a loud THUD and the whole car would rock back and forth like a cruise ship in scary waters. Seems BMW even refines their missteps better than M-B, lol.

#60 ·
Can this be coded? I coded my car for lots of thing but I'm not sure about this one.:dunno:

#61 ·
I have to say I was most surprised at the hidden features that can be enabled through coding. I didn't know about these prior to purchasing my car. I absolutely love what coding can do. Now I will always code my cars! Thanks to this forum and the knowledge of Shawn my cars will always be better than when I purchased them.

#76 ·
All of this talk of guns is getting me itchin' for a handgun. I don't think my Remington 870 or SKS will fit in that compartment.

#78 ·
So in addition to the standard features I listed earlier here are my newly favorite coded features. For anyone who needs efficient professional coding done in Northern New Jersey / New york city area seek out octopump.. I highly recommend his services.

I really feel like I have a new car all over again after his codings... See below

• Auto/Start remembers last setting
  • Electronics off when engine is shut down and driver's door opened
  • Close mirrors + windows + sunroof through Comfort Access - closing works by holding finger on groves area on handle
  • Close/ open mirrors + windows + sunroof through Key Fob* - hold down open or close key
  • Tilt passenger mirror further down when engaging the reverse gear
  • Remove window interrupt front / rear window
  • Fog lights on with high beams
  • Fog lights on when car is unlocked (default is just angel eyes)
  • Close trunk from driver side button + FOB
  • Add a new Menu item (Stored trips) in your nav for stored/ imported trips (to use in conjunction with Google Maps).
  • Video in Motion
  • PSI/ Temp readings
  • Removed start up iDrive legal*disclaimer
  • Digital speed in instrument cluster

#81 ·
Could you obtain what codes those are for us, please?

#80 ·
Well the coding didnt change the car slamming into park while the door is open. If you have the sea tbelt fastened you can reverse with the door open

#82 ·
On the trunk thing. I found that I just needed to be a little patient. I was kicking like mad, but discovered that I just need to give a single kick and then wait a second or two. Opens every time but after a brief delay.

I think I should be able to display that neat weather stuff with my nav. but can't find the setting. Can someone send the directions?

#85 ·
Zoom out

#87 ·
Cool sunroof trick

Just found a new one yesterday. I always pop the sunroof up when it's nice out to keep the car cool and help with outgassing of the interior. I would manually slide the roof liner back a few inches so the sun wouldn't heat up the car too much. Well, yesterday, rather than slide the liner back first, then pop the roof, I just popped the roof. What do you know. The liner slid back automatically, but only ~3 inches, when I popped the roof. And when I got back in the car at the end of the day, I closed the roof, and the liner automatically slid closed. So cool!

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I think you have to push the button all the way in, past the detent, in order to get the automatic open of the roof and the liner. Same with closing.

#88 ·
Just found a new one yesterday. I always pop the sunroof up when it's nice out to keep the car cool and help with outgassing of the interior. I would manually slide the roof liner back a few inches so the sun wouldn't heat up the car too much. Well, yesterday, rather than slide the liner back first, then pop the roof, I just popped the roof. What do you know. The liner slid back automatically, but only ~3 inches, when I popped the roof. And when I got back in the car at the end of the day, I closed the roof, and the liner automatically slid closed. So cool!

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I think you have to push the button all the way in, past the detent, in order to get the automatic open of the roof and the liner. Same with closing.
The way this work changed between 2011 and 2013 MY's:

2011 = push up all the way. Liner gose back, then roof goes up
To close >> push up again
2013 = same open procedure
To close >> press close direction (forward)

This is especially different when the liner is all the way back (already). If you push up, it opens. Pushing up on the 2011 closes everything. On the 2013 it's different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.