BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

328xi Engine Whine??

20K views 73 replies 27 participants last post by  ashecnc 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

I've driven a number of BMW's and have owned two (a 330Cic and 335i (e93). Today, I test drove a 328xi sedan with an automatic for the first time. While it's no turbo-charged 335 beast, I found the power to be quite acceptable (am looking at getting a sportwagon, but none in stock).

Anyway - I experienced a noticeable whine coming from the engine compartment in front of the driver side (so it seemed). It's pitch rise and fall was directly related to RPM's. At cruising speed on the highway, it pretty much disappeared, but not entirely.

Is this typical for this model? Anyone else experience this sound, or do you think it's something amiss? It almost had that power steering pump whine when it is beginning to fail. I mentioned it to the CA after the test drive and she said she couldn't comment but would have to have a tech check it out. (we didn't) I liked the car, otherwise. But if this is typical, I'm quite disappointed. I intend to ask one of the technicians about this, but was also hoping for feedback from "the real world". Thanks.

Doug

#4 ·
I have heard this same whine on my 2008 328i, it seems to be directly in sync with the transmission. I hear it most when slowing down, when the transmission is gearing down... I had all but completely forgotten about it until I read this thread.

Things like that drive me crazy too, thanks for reminding me about it...:mad::eek:uch:

#66 ·
I have heard this same whine on my 2008 328i, it seems to be directly in sync with the transmission. I hear it most when slowing down, when the transmission is gearing down... I had all but completely forgotten about it until I read this thread.

Things like that drive me crazy too, thanks for reminding me about it...:mad::eek:uch:
You know, I never really thought about the engine whine too much until reading this thread, and then I was immediately prompted to go out for a drive and pay attention to it. My 328i seems to whine when accelerating between 20-45 mph, and then anything over that I don't really hear it. I also noticed that after the engine reaches operating temp, it'll whine when I back out of a driveway. Very curious. :eeps:

#5 ·
Not sure what you mean by the "whine," but my car does make some high-pitched whistling noise. It makes that sound when my foot is off the gas pedal at around 40-50 mph. And when coming to a stop as well.

#9 ·
Tom,

Thank you for that. I have a Subaru Outback (AWD of course) and that car has a softer version of this "whine". I'm wondering if RWD versions of the 328i have this same sound or if it is somehow related to the x-drive ?

Doug

#12 ·
At least only whining.....but if your car also moaning and crabbing, you might need to give her more attention?
I have heard about this problem before and as soon as the car warms up the noise goes away...So I think it's normal...

#13 ·
Armando,

Thank you for that link. Somehow I missed that in my search. And - yes that does seem to be what I am talking about. After reading posts in that thread, and some here - it seems MOST find it an unsavory effect of the "GM transmission" in the 328i or 328xi. I find it interesting, though, that some say they don't hear this in their 328. Odd. The 335 does not do that, and I am quite certain the X3 (2.8) I drove also did not. The X3 35 clearly did not... these are different transmissions, so it makes sense that's where the noise is coming from. This is very disappointing to me as I was seriously zeroing in on getting the 328xi sportwagon. I just could not enjoy driving this thing with that sound. Man - I sure wish BMW would put the 3.5 engine in their wagons.

This makes me feel I need to reconsider the new X3. Its a really nice re-do, but more money and possibly a bigger vehicle than I really need. :banghead:

sigh.

Doug

#19 ·
Depending on whether you like the noise or not.

It is like having sex, if your partner makes a whining sound, you can consider it a good thing that he/she really enjoys your company, therefore getting excited and want to hear more, or you can get distracted and whimped out, never the same man again:)

#21 ·
Not all the time.
I normally make fake wild noises just to help boost "his" ego and speed things up!!!
:)

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

#23 ·
+1. The Getrag MT in the 328i is a gem.

#28 ·
Did you listen to the video in the link in my post on the previous page (reply #10)?

I agree with the "tolerable but a bit loud to be acceptable" description you gave. It really is pretty loud, I noticed it more today. It kind of blends in with the engine sound but not 100%, it goes above it.

#31 ·
Regarding the NA engine whine, my 2011 328i had what I thought sounded like a whiney little engine. The car was very quiet and all that I heard in normal driving was the whiney engine. I drove it for about a month and then installed BMW performance exhaust and intake. I can still hear the engine whine if I drive very easy, but once the revs are over 1,500 rpm's then I don't hear any engine whine. The combo exhaust and intake is probably not necessary to get the car a little louder. The exhaust was done first on my car and was an excellent sound. For some reason, when the intake was added, the exhaust got a lot louder. It may be a little boderline loud on such a nice car, but I am okay with it for now. I had a G37 before on which the exhaust note was quite loud. My 328i is quieter than the G37 when driving slowly or normally, but it is at least as loud or louder when driving fast. Not a bad tradeoff, IMO. This is one person's way to get over the engine whine. I really did the exhaust and intake mods to get a very little bit more performance and also to drown out the whine. The exhaust mod is so easy to accomplish and can be reversed if so desired. Obviously, the intake can easily be reversed also.

Hot Toddy

#32 · (Edited)
Regarding the NA engine whine, my 2011 328i had what I thought sounded like a whiney little engine. The car was very quiet and all that I heard in normal driving was the whiney engine. I drove it for about a month and then installed BMW performance exhaust and intake. I can still hear the engine whine if I drive very easy, but once the revs are over 1,500 rpm's then I don't hear any engine whine. The combo exhaust and intake is probably not necessary to get the car a little louder. The exhaust was done first on my car and was an excellent sound. For some reason, when the intake was added, the exhaust got a lot louder. It may be a little boderline loud on such a nice car, but I am okay with it for now. I had a G37 before on which the exhaust note was quite loud. My 328i is quieter than the G37 when driving slowly or normally, but it is at least as loud or louder when driving fast. Not a bad tradeoff, IMO. This is one person's way to get over the engine whine. I really did the exhaust and intake mods to get a very little bit more performance and also to drown out the whine. The exhaust mod is so easy to accomplish and can be reversed if so desired. Obviously, the intake can easily be reversed also.

Hot Toddy
I like your mods but they are quite costly to just drown out the whine. I also agree with you the G37 had much more noise from the drive train, tires and cabin. So all things are relative. It is funny the above poster specifically pointed out how his wife was oblivious to her 328i's whine, reminded me how I learned to be oblivious to my wife's whine, not during sex of course.

BTW, I listened to the video again, it did have more whine than mine. Also since such whine is present even in neutral, it cannot be from the GM tranny. I think people have unfairly blamed too many things on the GM tranny, when in fact a lot of the throttle issues are software related. People who got their ECU tuned no longer have such throttle response issues.

#33 ·
I would rather that the whine not be from the transmission. I agree that my mods were a bit much to get rid of the whine, but hey, I am getting 3 to 6 more horsepower out of the engine now. About the same as removing a 12 pack out of the trunk. My engine whine used to be very pronounced while driving down the road until you got to highway speeds. It may be coming from the stock intake system and I think that I can still hear it even now. I have the whine overpowered now.

Hot Toddy

#38 ·
I wasn't making fun of your BMW PI and PE mods, yes they are more expensive but they are BMW. Some people don't care for the louder sound so this would not have been the cure for the engine whine even if it were not expensive. Might as well turn up the speakers.

BTW, the secondary ram air intake mod (similar to the $400+ Dinan ram air intake kit except without the removal of the bumper and only $22 material cost) with an aFe drop in high flow filter ($70) will make the car come alive and add intake sound too, similar to the euro airbox mod except again at much less cost.

For $400+ I would just get the BMW PI, or go full DIY route. What is the lowest BMW PE cost? Can one DIY it or does this have to be done in a shop?

#37 ·
Had a 328xi loaner yesterday, and noticed a whine that sounded like a failing power steering pump. Even my "non-car-guy" coworker asked why the car was making so much noise.

#41 ·
I was given a 328i (RWD+auto) for a loaner last week when I brought my car in for the HPFP recall. I noticed a relatively pronounced whine that seemed to be transmission related. When I got back in my car the ZF box was much quieter. I've noticed this whine in a few other 328i's I've driven, I've had 5 different ones for loaners. They all have the whine, Xdrive or not.

#45 ·
What makes you think it's transmission related? I didn't think mine was since the whine goes up with engine rpm when in park or neutral....maybe I'm missing something?
It sounds like gear/differential whine in 1st/2nd/3rd gears - thought it seemed less noticeable in 3rd and couldn't hear it much at all in 4th/5th/6th. It got quieter when lifting off the trottle to the neutral point (modulating between acceleration/deceleration). This observation is admittedly wholistically unscientific however, didn't want to spend too much time tracing perceived faults in loaner cars :).

I was pretty impressed with the 328 though. I sometimes wish I'd gone with a manual 328 as opposed to an auto 335.

#43 ·
I have a manual transmission and I notice a slight whine.

I never thought it was something to worry about and I still don't..

I used to have a civic that on occasion whistled or had a high pitch whine, and I traced the noise to the air intake (well, I stopped when I got to that point). Had the problem for years. I ended up selling the car at 190k miles and the new owner didn't have any problems with it.

I don't think I would worry about it.. But if you want to search for the noise, check the air intake, as it could be channeled through it, and would explain the variable pitch increasing with engine RPM's, as it sucks more air into the engine..

#44 ·
...But if you want to search for the noise, check the air intake, as it could be channeled through it, and would explain the variable pitch increasing with engine RPM's, as it sucks more air into the engine..
Good point, people who replaced their stock intakes with the aFe open intakes don't complain about engine whine, of course they put those aftermarket intakes in to get more sound, not less:)

#46 ·
So, as the OP, I thought I'd chime in again. Yesterday I test drove a different brand-new 328xi sedan. Guess what - almost no whine. It was there - but much less pronounced, and it was something that I could easily live with. Now I'm concerned that if I order the sportwagon XDrive, I might get a real whiner... so to speak. This is unnerving, and makes me feel like I shouldn't take the chance but get the more expensive and larger X3. I guess I should go check out the new Acura sportwagon while I'm at it, huh? :(

Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.