BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Expansion replaced - How quickly should I replace Water Pump?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  noego 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
I recently had a leak in my expansion tank which was replaced. I understand normally T-stat/hoses/water pump should all be changed out together but I did not have the funds to get this done. I had no prior problems with the Water pump and car did not overheat so how much longer could I go with out changing out the water pump?
Also should I change it out or wait until it shows signs of failure first?

Not sure what to do - so all advice/feedback is appreciated.

Thank You.

#2 ·
Since your car is a 2007 (like mine), then you have the electric water pump which is much more expensive to buy and replace than the old belt-driven pump. Since you make no mention of mileage on your car, it's difficult to know when the right time to replace should be. My experience with this pump on the N52 engine is that they have gone out around 80k miles but YMMV. The problem is that you don't get much notice that it's going out. No weeping of coolant or other signs you used to get from the belt-driven pumps. When you finally get the funds lined up, you definitely want to replace the thermostat at the same time. I was able to get one for about $65 and you need to remove the t-stat to get to the pump anyways. Good luck.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply! Mileage is at 84k right now.
Indy wanted $940 to replace Water pump and t-stat. Expansion tank was replaced ( I regret not doing all 3 but they wanted $1200 for it )

I will get the water pump and t-stat changed in the next few weeks.

Any idea on what is a good price for those two plus labor? I don't have the time to do this by my self now and am afraid I might screw something up.

Thanks

#5 ·
Expansion tank cracked. Got it replaced today at local shop. Does 300 sound about right?
My California indie shop quoted $450 for a pro-active expansion tank change on my 2007, so you're getting off easy in VA. Still thinking about it. They want $1,000 to do the water pump, I said I'll wait on that.

I'm curious how many people have actually had expansion tank problems. My shop said it's the same part # as on the E46 which has given people lots of trouble. Yet I get the impression there's a lower failure rate on the X3 (or maybe only softer voices among X3 owners).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.