BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Got it!!!! First impressions

5K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  HotRodW 
#1 · (Edited)
Picked up my X1 yesterday afternoon! First off, PROPS to my salesman Ryan (Sewickley BMW, Pittsburgh)!! For a new to U.S. vehicle, he knew everything about it and spent about 45 mintues with me going over the features. He was great to deal with, so please see him if in the Pittsburgh area looking for a BMW.

Recap on my order: Placed order on 7/9, delivered on 8/15. X1 xDrive 28i, Midnight Blue/Coral Red, Sport Line, Cold Weather Pkg, Ultimate Pkg (Premium, Driver's Assist, Technology), Satellite Radio.

Pulling up to the dealership I was looking in the lot for my X1 but didn't see it. Then walking into the showroom, there it was, front and center (doors locked so nobody could sit in it and play around, which I appreciated). Immediately caught my eye.

Exterior: I was surprised at how much larger it was than I anticipated. I saw one in St. Martin in May, and another in Toronto in June, but just in passing. After reading so many posts on how 'tiny' they are, no bigger than a Golf, tall hatchback, stationwagon, etc., I did not get that impression at all. It has a powerful yet sporty presence and I think with the satin black lower rocker, black chrome exhaust tips, and roof rails (Sport Line features), gives it a perception of being higher than it is.
The 18" wheels on the Sport Line are great looking and almost have a smokey tint to them, again working well with the satin black accents. I was a bit concerned after I ordered with my color combo choice as the BMW build site makes the Midnight Blue look almost Teal, but in person it is a deep unique blue that plays with the sunlight. The v-shaped crease lines on the hood moving from grill to windshield are a striking design feature.

Interior: The Coral Red interior is amazing! The Sport Line has red stitching on the stearing wheel, shifter, and floor mats, so that works great with the seats/door panels in red. I opted for the shiny black interior trim in place of aluminum, again keeping with the outside trim pieces, which ties it all together.
I HIGHLY recommend the navigation/technology package as it takes the little storage cubby in the dash and replaces it with the nav screen and also the controler in the center console. Makes the interior very upscale looking. Have not yet mastered it, but a few more days playing around should be all I need. Keyless Comfort Access is a great feature.
Shifter is more of a joy stick than an actual movable piece as I was used to. More of a tap down, up, function, pretty neat.
Panoramic moonroof really brightens up the cabin and love the power shade.
I'm 6' and head and leg room were ample. The power Sport seats are proably the best I've ever sat in and can be adjusted to hug your body from every angle. Center console storage is small but plenty of room for what I'll use it for.
The second cup holder, which stores in the console and attaches to the passenger side to the right of the shift lever, did not impose on leg room as some have mentioned. My passenger is 6'3" and never once bumped into it with his legs. I'll always store it in the console when not in use though. Have not yet sat in the reat seats but leg room was more than my Audi A4. The 40/20/40 split seats either fold independently or ajust to absolute verticle for great trunk storage. The trunk itself was not as large as my A4, but would definitely hold larger items with all the configurations and hatch. The storage under the rear floor is, as others have said, pretty much useless. But then I thought, perfect for an umbrella, snow scraper, blanket, first aid kit, etc., keeping them out of the rear storage main area.
Visability was great from all angles and the rear camera and parking sensors are cool. My only suggestion would be for the tinted privacy glass on the reaward windows. I may have this added.

Driving: Please take note that I've only put on 40 miles, but I'll give what I can on early driving impressions. W O W! Past 10 years I've been driving cars in the 200 - 211 hp range. The 240hp in the X1 is a noticed increase. Power is immediate and strong.
The ride exceedes my A4 and C230 Mercedes. I have not felt vibrations or a bumpy ride so far. The cabin is quiet when roof/windows are closed. What will take getting used to is the engine stop/start function when the vehicle comes to a halt. Returning from the dealer, it was traffic time, so that was happening a lot and at first was a strange feeling. It does not 'jerk' when starting back up but is something you do notice. I believe there is a button somewhere where you can turn this function off. Pulling into the parking lot this morning for work and stopping to pay the attendant, the engine shut off, then after paying started up again. I could see the attendant look strangly probably thinking "why in the hell did he shut his car off to pay me"!!
I'm sure I'll get it out on the road this weekend for more spirited driving and will give another upate.

Well folks, that's my X1. Hope this very early, and very long, first impressions helps. Will be happy to answer any specific questions and will post pictures once I find 5 minutes.

See less See more
#5 ·
It's good to hear about a positive experience - I think the forum can tend to be a sounding board for those who have had problems - we have an '08 MT X3 and love it - thinking about the X1 to replace a Volvo sedan - had a VW GLI with 4 cyl for a brief time and it was very peppy - for us that would be a big selling point for the X1.

thanks for the positive post !!!!

#8 ·
Picked up my X1 yesterday afternoon! First off, PROPS to my salesman Ryan (Sewickley BMW, Pittsburgh)!! For a new to U.S. vehicle, he knew everything about it and spent about 45 mintues with me going over the features. He was great to deal with, so please see him if in the Pittsburgh area looking for a BMW.
Recap on my order: Placed order on 7/9, delivered on 8/15. X1 xDrive 28i, Midnight Blue/Coral Red, Sport Line, Cold Weather Pkg, Ultimate Pkg (Premium, Driver's Assist, Technology), Satellite Radio.
Pulling up to the dealership I was looking in the lot for my X1 but didn't see it. Then walking into the showroom, there it was, front and center (doors locked so nobody could sit in it and play around, which I appreciated). Immediately caught my eye.
Exterior: I was surprised at how much larger it was than I anticipated. I saw one in St. Martin in May, and another in Toronto in June, but just in passing. After reading so many posts on how 'tiny' they are, no bigger than a Golf, tall hatchback, stationwagon, etc., I did not get that impression at all. It has a powerful yet sporty presence and I think with the satin black lower rocker, black chrome exhaust tips, and roof rails (Sport Line features), gives it a perception of being higher than it is. The 18" wheels on the Sport Line are great looking and almost have a smokey tint to them, again working well with the satin black accents. I was a bit concerned after I ordered with my color combo choice as the BMW build site makes the Midnight Blue look almost Teal, but in person it is a deep unique blue that plays with the sunlight. The v-shaped crease lines on the hood moving from grill to windshield are a striking design feature.
Interior: The Coral Red interior is amazing! The Sport Line has red stitching on the stearing wheel, shifter, and floor mats, so that works great with the seats/door panels in red. I opted for the shiny black interior trim in place of aluminum, again keeping with the outside trim pieces, which ties it all together. I HIGHLY recommend the navigation/technology package as it takes the little storage cubby in the dash and replaces it with the nav screen and also the controler in the center console. Makes the interior very upscale looking. Have not yet mastered it, but a few more days playing around should be all I need. Keyless Comfort Access is a great feature. Shifter is more of a joy stick than an actual movable piece as I was used to. More of a tap down, up, function, pretty neat. Panoramic moonroof really brightens up the cabin and love the power shade. I'm 6' and head and leg room were ample. The power Sport seats are proably the best I've ever sat in and can be adjusted to hug your body from every angle. Center console storage is small but plenty of room for what I'll use it for. The second cup holder, which stores in the console and attaches to the passenger side to the right of the shift lever, did not impose on leg room as some have mentioned. My passenger is 6'3" and never once bumped into it with his legs. I'll always store it in the console when not in use though. Have not yet sat in the reat seats but leg room was more than my Audi A4. The 40/20/40 split seats either fold independently or ajust to absolute verticle for great trunk storage. The trunk itself was not as large as my A4, but would definitely hold larger items with all the configurations and hatch. The storage under the rear floor is, as others have said, pretty much useless. But then I thought, perfect for an umbrella, snow scraper, blanket, first aid kit, etc., keeping them out of the rear storage main area. Visability was great from all angles and the rear camera and parking sensors are cool. My only suggestion would be for the tinted privacy glass on the reaward windows. I may have this added.
Driving: Please take note that I've only put on 40 miles, but I'll give what I can on early driving impressions. W O W! Past 10 years I've been driving cars in the 200 - 211 hp range. The 240hp in the X1 is a noticed increase. Power is immediate and strong. The ride exceedes my A4 and C230 Mercedes. I have not felt vibrations or a bumpy ride so far. The cabin is quiet when roof/windows are closed. What will take getting used to is the engine stop/start function when the vehicle comes to a halt. Returning from the dealer, it was traffic time, so that was happening a lot and at first was a strange feeling. It does not 'jerk' when starting back up but is something you do notice. I believe there is a button somewhere where you can turn this function off. Pulling into the parking lot this morning for work and stopping to pay the attendant, the engine shut off, then after paying started up again. I could see the attendant look strangly probably thinking "why in the hell did he shut his car off to pay me"!! I'm sure I'll get it out on the road this weekend for more spirited driving and will give another upate.
Well folks, that's my X1. Hope this very early, and very long, first impressions helps. Will be happy to answer any specific questions and will post pictures once I find 5 minutes.
How about some spacing/paragraphs between thoughts? This is a tough read

#9 ·
So you have officially taken delivery! Congrats! Right now it is a super rare care on US roads. Not for long I think!

#12 ·
Exterior: I was surprised at how much larger it was than I anticipated. I saw one in St. Martin in May, and another in Toronto in June, but just in passing. After reading so many posts on how 'tiny' they are, no bigger than a Golf, tall hatchback, stationwagon, etc., I did not get that impression at all.
I just got back from my honeymoon in Milan and saw many X1's while over there and you are spot on with the size. I was expecting something much smaller until I realized what it was I was looking at. Great looking car and exceptional stylings, congrats!

#16 · (Edited)
Not sure what Cinturo is???? Did not know the wheels would be in this finish, which I really prefer. BMW build site makes them look a little more aluminum in color when in reality they are sort of smokey.

Ride seems to be very good so far. I posted a bunch of other pics interior/exterior on my other thread 'Now for some pics'

#21 ·
What is driving in EcoPro mode like? does it change throttle response?

for models that don't have Tech Pkg, how is the TPMS and the MPG displayed?
I took a test drive on s sDrive28i yesterday. The EcoPro will agressively upshift early and thus making the car seem underwhelmingly irresponsive. Just don't turn it on if you don't like it. However, it is a great feature during mindless commuting I would think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.