BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official F10 Coding thread---Exploring Your F10

745K views 1K replies 94 participants last post by  DreamCar 
#1 · (Edited)
I hope this will be the most intriguing thread!

We will discuss all the options available and try to share as much information as possible .

Knowledge Transfer: Find the attached pdf in the below link and go through it ... It will give you the basics to start also check the attached PDF (Thanks to modular93 fox)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6823380&postcount=6 (If the link doesnt work go to post # 6 in this thread)

How to make the Enet cable (You need this cable to connect your car and you laptop), Its not hard to make your own cable.
It would cost around 10 to 15$ to make a cable.

Please use the below link to find the detailed description on how to make your cable (Thanks to IMSw1) and also check teh attached PDF for detailed schematics

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6825214&postcount=52 (If the link doesnt work go to post # 52 in this thread)

List of things that can be programed: (Thanks to All contributing Members)

Please check the Cheat Sheet for the list

Data Files Required to code your car:

F001 psdzdata covers the F01/F02/F04 7-series and F07 5-series
F010 psdzdata covers the F10 5-series and F12/F13 6-series
F020 psdzdata covers the F20 1-series and F30 3-series (There is no Z4 F-chassis yet)
F025 psdzdata covers the F25 X3-series (There is no X5 F-chassis yet).

More details in the below Link:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6827272&postcount=91

Cheat Sheet:

What Module to modify.. What Parameter and What value will be explained in the attached cheat sheet... This will have all our new discoveries going forward.

This thread is dedicated to help fellow festers! Will add more details as and when available just follow the thread for updates!

Volunteers: People who can install for others /Willing to help others with installation

1) DreamCar (NJ,MD)
2) Shawnsheridan (Houston,TX)
3) Imsw1 (Dayton, OH)
4) Svache (Oahu.HI)
5) hd750Li (DFW, TX)
6) wdimagineer (MD)

This is just the basic info... Will add more info in next two days

All the credit goes to Sean and Shawn

Disclaimer: Try it/use it/ request it at your own risk and blah blah and all that cra*P.......

Important: Please dont use "Quote" when replying... In that way it will be less cluttered and easy to browse once it is sticky... :thumbup:

Sub Threads:

SLI :http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6863231#post6863231

For the video lovers here is teh feast:
http://youtu.be/1dzvhZggafg

http://youtu.be/HdgecnfqoDg

Transfering your phone ring tone to your car.

Before

http://youtu.be/EG4MR-o1eSg

After

http://youtu.be/WuLUgAGypfw

Attachments

See less See more
#90 ·
@DreamCar; "TRY IT AT YOUR OWN RISK". I love it. We have a Disclaimer on how to remove the Disclaimers. :rofl:

#91 · (Edited)
@alex_c,

I don't doubt that your cable says it will work with the F-series cars, and it will. The bad news is you're going to have to buy an ICOM for it to work, and even then in a very limitied capacity.

All the F-series vehicles (except 123d if I remember right) use E-Sys to program and the program expects to communicate using IP addresses. The cars have a pseudo DHCP server that issues an IP address to you computer, so our computers know how communication is going to occur. Now this connection can be done one of two ways but they are both IP address dependent. Either you use the ENET cable that most of us build and your NIC card does most of the translating through E-Sys, or your ICOM is issued the IP address and it does the translation through E-Sys but using it's interface. The D-CAN cable (I can't see yours perfectly, but it looks like that's what you have) will also only diagnose the F-series vehicles through an ICOM , clone or VM ICOM using IPNA.

The truth is we all need to get used to our vehicles using IP addresses as BMW and other car manufacturers switch over to the ASAM MCD-2D standard (Open Data eXchange). BMW even spent the time to port EDIABAS over to allow it to communicate via ENET, and that was so they could talk to the CIC in the E9X.

The other strange thing is the part number they are using. If it is a true BMW part number, then the cable you have should be a CIC Connecting Wire.

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/...IC--Display-L=-850MM/1392557/61119185171.html

My advice...contact the seller and request a refund, then build an ENET cable.

Dreamcar - Here's the I-Level worksheet. It shows what chassis code lines up with which data set (psdzdata). Can you add it to the first post? Thanks.

Sean

Attachments

#92 ·
All right. 1,501 Views already. Just another 100,585, and we will be right up there with the **Consolidated RFT Failures/Issues Thread** :D

#93 · (Edited)
Shawn,

Shot you a PM about the DVD in motion coding on the spreadsheet, which by the way looks fantastic. No NETTODAT file coding necessary.

All I have to say is that is a list! Thanks for taking the time to look through all the modules. Has your family seen you lately or do you live in the garage now?

Sean

#94 · (Edited)
@ImSW1; Maybe it is just me, but the Integration Level Table while informative is confusing as it relates to E-Sys, as when I look at it, one would not know that to code an F12 in E-Sys, one would use the F10 psdzdata or to code an F30, one would use the F20 psdzdata. Maybe I'm just missing something. :confused:

Here is the simple narrative version:

F001 psdzdata covers the F01/F02/F04 7-series and F07 5-series
F010 psdzdata covers the F10 5-series and F12/F13 6-series
F020 psdzdata covers the F20 1-series and F30 3-series (There is no Z4 F-chassis yet)
F025 psdzdata covers the F25 X3-series (There is no X5 F-chassis yet).

I'm still getting some family time; just not much sleep since you sent me that damn Enet cable. :p

I'm going to try and scale it back for a bit though, and catch up on some stuff, and some Z's.

#100 ·
Guys:

I saw one item in the initial thread about "always remember air circulation".

Is there any way to set the air circulation on a timer? One thing that drives me bananas about this car is that if you put the air to recirculate, it won't turn off. Or is this what that means? I assumed it was for startup.

Seriously, if there is any way to have the circulation go off after, say, 10 minutes, that would be great!!!

#101 ·
Is anyone able to display music information in the HUD, e.g. radio channels?

#103 ·
What kind of a PC is required? Can it be done with Windows 7?

#105 ·
I have an old laptop somewhere with 32bit Windows 7. Any previous coding experience required?

#106 ·
I don't think you really need coding experience.. Basically you gotta follow same flow every time/every modification... there are some good docs with step by step instructions..

If you could wait for one more week we will have more detailed instructions here! or you can start now get help from folks as you move.

#107 ·
@StealthPilot; I am running on Win7 64, and it works fine. There is an EDIABAS Enet connection utility, ZGW_SEARCH.exe, that confirms the connection between the PC and the Car that does not work well or at all in Win7 64; however, it is informative only and not a requirement for E-Sys.

As for coding experience; none is required. I never coded before, and I had no problem understanding the Getting Started tutorial. People who have coded the E-Series cars using the old tools like NCS Expert expert, etc., claim E-Sys by comparison is much simpler.

#110 ·
First off...this is awesome! I will be trying this out very soon. I love being a programmer so I can do stuff like this.

Second...anyone have ideas on if/how we can code to enable the BMW Live functionality to get features like Internet Browser, Google Street View? Some people are already able to enable it through coding like the folks at BimmerTech, so I am assuming it is possible.

#112 ·
@bmwcranium; Yes, BMW Live (Internet) can be done; but it isn't as simple other coding. The Vehicle Order (VO) needs to be changed to add SA 614 Internet, BMW Assist option SA612 has to be removed, and a "working" foreign VIN needs to be coded into the Combox to deceive the BMW Live Portal Servers into thinking the car is located in a BMW Live supported country (e.g. Europe, the U.K., etc.). Considering you loose BMW Assist and that BMW Live uses a 2G Edge Data connection (which is very slow), not to mention a lack of Flash and Java Support, I personally do not think its worth enabling.

#116 ·
@hans_gregor; It is everything (E-Sys, ISTA/P psdzdata files, Installation Instructions, and E-Sys Getting Started Coding Guide) needed to code one's car except the enet cable.

#117 ·
FYI. I did some more testing, and it turns out that the extra Efficient Dynamics Screens came from enabling EFF_DYN_SYS_CID and not EFF_DYN_SPORT_CID. On my My2011 F10, without ECO PRO, this added EfficientDynamics INFO to the Vehicle Info=> Efficient Dynamics screen (e.g. Climate and Battery animations)); however; the Consumption History still lacks the Histogram and ECO PRO Tips is greyed out. It also added "Configure ECO PRO" to the Settings=>Driving mode screen; however, since there is no actual ECO PRO Functionality, as it is not part of the MY 2011 Dynamic Driving Control, the "Configure ECO PRO" is nonfunctional.

As for EFF_DYN_SPORT_UNIT, I went back and recoded it, and still while it added "Power" and "Torque" to the Settings=>Language/Units screen for use with EFF_DYN_SPORT_CID; the Power choices between kW, and hp and Torque choices between Nm, ft lb, and Kg/m, can not be set. It's somehow locked out on mine. Mine is set to aktiv / Werte=01. If someone else has this working in hp and ft lb, please advise exactly how this is set.

Also, for those enabling the Turn Signals in the HUD, after coding both HUD_TURNSIGNAL and BLINKER_HUD_ENABLE, you must enable the "Turn indicator" Checkbox in Settings=>Heads-Up Display for it to work.

#118 ·
@DreamCar; So I take it you had no problems with the Installation Instructions or using E-Sys to code? FYI. I will be sending you an updated Excel version of the Coding lists with some corrections / clarifications some time late tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.