BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

anyone here have a viper??

9K views 72 replies 19 participants last post by  Suri [TBR] 
#1 ·
As we all know were all sick in the head, my relentless persuit of cars has led me to a 04 and up viper. I was thinking of selling my corvette and getting a super low mileage viper prob an 05-06, and sell my 20k mile 02 vette. In hopes its a better car to hold onto. anyone have one that can offer some pros or cons?:thumbup:

#2 ·
If it were me I would keep the Vette over the Viper any day. Specially with only 20k on the dash:D. What the hell do you drive everyday, all your cars have extremely low miles? I'm jealous:bigpimp:. If you are really considering a viper there was a member on here selling one a few months back, I'm sure he can offers some great pros an cons.

#4 ·
:rofl: I work from home and deal pretty locally as well. I also dont keep anything when the miles get up there. My 750 just turned 40k and if i dont do the viper i will prob get a new body 7

pros of a viper??? its a viper,v10 monster,headturner

cons??? mileage(mpg)

corvette is just a corvette in my opinion

here is few links of vipers on sale locally

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/cto/3226240306.html

http://cfl.craigslist.org/cto/3203487691.html

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/cto/3234511876.html

me myself is looking to buy a 87 up 911 carrera with 3.2l,g50 5spd
Kinda my thinking too, I dont really drive the vette and figure if Im going to hold onto it may be worth some good $$ in the future.(the viper)

#5 ·
Bro fantastic links btw!! all super nice cars.:thumbup: I would prob go see that 1st one if it was closer.

#6 ·
they are rattle traps.
they leak water on the convertibles.
all in all, they are still a dodge. expect the quality of a dodge (good or bad-however you want to look at it :D)
they get hot as hell to drive during the summer from the exhaust.
turning radius is so-so.
still slow IMO.

#7 ·
slow?? really?? 11 sec 1/4's

#9 · (Edited)
yes. my little ole' turbo M3 literally walks away from them like a corvette would against a 323. they arent fast.
my buddies hennesy had no chance against my car. from a 40 roll i pulled 15+ car lengths on him...... i dont know if i have the video still or not, but the passenger in the viper is saying "are you going?!"..... and chris yells "YES!"...... all you can see is the m3 just yanking car lengths away..lol

Viper's are a lot more of a "look @ me" car than ANY vette but they are simply not very reliable. Had a friend who owned one and it ALWAYS had SOMETHING wrong with it. Rattles, VERY expensive tires, almost too loud to talk while driving it, etc. There is a REASON you can pick them up cheaply. If it were me, I'd shoot for something a bit nicer and more exclusive like a Maserati Grand Turismo. THAT is a car you can show up to ANY event with and get noticed. You can also drop the lady in it and go to the opera (if that's your thing) or you can have a conversation with the passenger WHILE driving it up the windy mountain roads. Granted, service ain't cheap but you CAN buy an '08 for around the $60K mark used these days (Manhiem) which is pretty darned good price for a $130K car.
yes and no on your statement.
hennesy viper i drove was so loud your ears rang afterwards. ear plugs were practically a requirement.

i have done a LOT of work to a friends Gran turismo..... it is the poor mans ferarri lol....

cold air induction, programming, headers, full exhaust, coil over springs and lowered it, sway bars and some other crap i cant remember.....

the exhaust it has *THE* sweetest most aggressive hiss-snarly-pop-burble music i have ever heard out of the tail pipes with the valves open. i was in love with the exhaust.

forget the rest of the car though. rattled, maintenance was a fortune, tires cost a ton.... it wasnt a daily driver at all (if thats what your wanting) and IMO its tail end isnt very appealing.

#8 · (Edited)
Viper's are a lot more of a "look @ me" car than ANY vette but they are simply not very reliable. Had a friend who owned one and it ALWAYS had SOMETHING wrong with it. Rattles, VERY expensive tires, almost too loud to talk while driving it, etc. There is a REASON you can pick them up cheaply. If it were me, I'd shoot for something a bit nicer and more exclusive like a Maserati Grand Turismo. THAT is a car you can show up to ANY event with and get noticed. You can also drop the lady in it and go to the opera (if that's your thing) or you can have a conversation with the passenger WHILE driving it up the windy mountain roads. Granted, service ain't cheap but you CAN buy an '08 for around the $60K mark used these days (Manhiem) which is pretty darned good price for a $130K car.

#12 ·
Im not looking for something that in 3 yrs will be worth 1/2, Im contemplating holding onto sort of as investment/toy. I havent taken a bath on the vette like I did with the 7's, and Im thinking the viper may hold its value.
oil changes and whatnot- the engine needs love, it leaks oil, its tempermental about running and the type of fuel you use... always something to tinker on....

you gonna DIY or dealer maintain it?
that makes the difference.
Anything relatively easy i can myself, oil changes arent a problem. have you known anyone that had one>?

#14 · (Edited)
Anything relatively easy i can myself, oil changes arent a problem. have you known anyone that had one>?
I do. Friend of mine had one it an 06 SRT-10 with 40K plus miles the camshaft went through the engine block.:bawling:

#16 ·
I do. Friend of mine had one it an 06 SRT-10 with 40K plus miles the camshaft went through the engine block.:bawling:
ouch, is this common??

Corvettes are a dime a dozen, go viper!
Kinda what Im thinking, hate to part with my toy, my 5k wheels and 5k stereo but letsss see!!!! Im itching to either buy another car or swap one I have...:D

#10 ·
what type of maint?? def not a daily driver, more of a garage queen.

#18 ·
Not looking for a maz, Im looking for a nice garage queen/ to drive on sunny days to replace maybe the one I have now. I see literally 20 m3s a day so something a bit more rare.

#20 ·
:rofl::rofl:

#22 ·
apparently he has a fast m3.

#23 ·
Had my friends 05 SRT-10 for a few weeks this summer, it has a Paxton supercharger and had only 16k miles. Looks and sounds AWESOME. Driving it is another experience. The whole inside is extremely hot from the exhaust and massive motor. Rattles like crazy. Very uncomfortable ride. Super fast, handles like crap. I personally hate cheaply built cars, the Viper is one of them. The whole interior is cheap, buttons from a neon. Ive had the car for almost a month, and simply didnt want to drive it. Felt that I had more fun and comfort on my motorcycle. Its a cool car to have parked in the garage, but driving it is far from pleasant. Used to own a Jeep SRT-8, and had a similar experience. If you want an exotic sports car, look no further than a 911 turbo, amazing car all around. Know many people who have one and daily drive it and love it.

#24 ·
The int hot I can understand my vette gets hot too. I really have to go drive one and see how i like it.

#25 ·
Go check one out, but I doubt it'll be to your liking. Very raw car, with insane amount of power, and not that great handling. You'll love looking at it in your garage, but Im pretty sure thats where the fun ends. I have not heard of too many problems with them, but also very few have any miles on them, as most dont get driven. If I was you and wanted a sports car, deff. give a 911 a shot. Otherwise just get a new 7 :)

#26 ·
yo man i had a 06 viper for about 6 months... i paid 50k for it it was black on black 1,302 miles when i got it 3,208 miles when i traded it in for my 750Li. I got what I paid for it on trade. Then I had the 7 for 6 months and had tons of problems so I got rid of that and got my 08 z06.

I loved the z06 compared to the viper. The viper was flashy but a PITA to drive. It gets mad hot in the cockpit cause of the side exhausts so it could be 30 degrees out and you would sweat your ass off

#28 ·
yo man i had a 06 viper for about 6 months... i paid 50k for it it was black on black 1,302 miles when i got it 3,208 miles when i traded it in for my 750Li. I got what I paid for it on trade. Then I had the 7 for 6 months and had tons of problems so I got rid of that and got my 08 z06.

I loved the z06 compared to the viper. The viper was flashy but a PITA to drive. It gets mad hot in the cockpit cause of the side exhausts so it could be 30 degrees out and you would sweat your ass off
Wayy hotter than the z06?

#27 ·
I have a vette now, its an awesome all around car. I just dont think It will be worth what a viper will if i hold onto it longer term. I like to have a 2 dr 6spd in the garage.

#30 · (Edited)
Get the Viper. Its Mopar at its finest. The newer ones are so much better then the older ones for so many reasons. It looks incredible. You never see them. They are rare. Power is insane and they handle MUCH better then everyone said on here. The older ones were more geared toward straight line racing, but the newer ones hold the V10 alot better allowing for better weight dist. I wouldnt even blink an eye. For the money there no better car. Viper all the way. Good luck.

#32 ·
Prob looking at an 05-07
I agree that the new ones are amazing but I don't think 1bad is looking at buying a brand new one just yet :D
yup 05-07 is in my price range. Prob up to 50k.
Would love a little more feedback from anyone thats owned one.
spoke to my cuz that had an 94 back in the day and seems that everyone thats had one loved it.

#31 ·
I agree that the new ones are amazing but I don't think 1bad is looking at buying a brand new one just yet :D

#33 ·
Spoke to one of my friend that ride bikes with me he has one with bolt ins and spray, he loves it and he told me he only had one problem with the trans once, but he is an animal when he drives, I like corvettes the only reason I would buy a viper is because they are different

#34 ·
my vette is pretty cool, nice stereo, wheels exhaust, but yea a bit different wouldnt hurt!!:thumbup:

#40 ·
That cayenne is pretty awesome, yea the maz is not a car to buy and hold for appreciation. I think the viper will be. Been super busy this week with work and a pipe expolding behind a wall in my house, the holes everywhere to find it and the plumbers to fix it. Got everything patched bck up. So maybe I'll have some time to persue.

#42 ·
The 87 carrera is nice, always loved a guards red 96 turbo tho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.