BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Coupe vs sedan

3K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  -=Hot|Ice=- 
#1 ·
Do you guys think there's a noticeable fun factor difference in driving the coupe vs the sedan? I have trouble telling in a short test drive but thought maybe someone has more insight.

Also, any former E46 M3 owners on here? I am wondering any thoughts you guys have about the E92 vs the E46 version - is the newer just better or anything about the older model that is "missing" in the newer?

Background: I'm going to buy a used M3, the question is just whether I get the E90 for more practicality, E92 for more fun/speed, or E46 to save some money (and potentially have the more "raw"/no-frills driving experience). Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

#2 ·
I'm biased towards the E90 because I have one, even so I just prefer the sedan look and the added practicality of it. You gotta go with what suits you. For me, the E90s go for less money and you get more car. Only downside is there are more E92/E93s to choose from, and with the E90 you're limited to picking an 08-11.

#5 ·
There is a clear difference in driving a coupe vs. sedan. It is, of course, a matter of those extra two doors. My current ride, a porsche 911 cabriolet, has those two great jump seats. My granddaughters love riding back there. But everytime I have the opportunity to use my car including both of them, I have to go through what I call the "coupe 2 step". Move everything just so they can climb back there. My wife's bmw sedan (an F10), you just open the back doors and they tumble in.
I'm looking forward to driving my E90 and also having the simple pleasure of just opening up the back doors so they can tumble in - far less hassle.

That said, even with an older large American car - the coupe always felt a bit more "sporty" than the equivalent sedan.

So you pays your money and you takes your chances. Whatever you need is best.

#8 ·
The sedans have greater structural rigidity.

Here are some older numbers from the E46 to show the difference:

BMW E46 Sedan (w/o folding seats) 18,000 Nm/deg
BMW E46 Sedan (w/folding seats) 13,000 Nm/deg
BMW E46 Wagon (w/folding seats) 14,000 Nm/deg
BMW E46 Coupe (w/folding seats) 12,500 Nm/deg
BMW E46 Convertible 10,500 Nm/deg

From a practical standpoint, sedans and coupes are a wash if they both have folding seats. A sedan w/o folding seats will be significantly more rigid. Take the roof off, and you can see the E46 convertible doesn't fare nearly as well.

Most of this is academic though. Willing to bet you can't tell the difference unless you drive the cars back to back at the limit.

#9 ·
For me - definitely e90. Mostly because of the "sleeper factor". E90 looks civilized, is invisible to the police, but drives exactly as e92.

Mine is supercharged, 600 hp, with zero visual modifications - only exhaust note is little louder with my Corsa mufflers. But I am 55 year old man, I don't want my car look like it was own by high school kid. I think it is pathetic when "midlife crisis man" pretends to be what he clearly is not. E90 M3 has everything- power, good looks and practicality, and that is why I have one in my garage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.