BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Finally drove an X5 with Adaptive drive

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  jonnyz1245 
#1 ·
and man oh man, I am glad I ordered it.

I drove out to my dealer to meet my CA(we had done everything via/email and phone) and they happened to have a CPO'd 2011 X5D with AD on the lot. They said go a ahead and take it for an hour, so I did. I took it on back-roads, through residential areas and on the freeway. I also took it through a local PDX neighborhood that has a 35 mph zone with a series of about 20 almost 90- degree turns.

To my sensibilities, there is a night and day difference between AD and non-AD equipped X5's. I used both sport mode and regular. There was absolutely no body roll taking those corners. The truck felt like a car riding on rails IMO.

Now, is it necessary? Probably not. The X5 drives fine w/out it .Does it transform how this 5000+ pound SAV drives? Yes, it does. It turns the truck into a sports car! :thumbup:

#2 ·
I agree. I test drove them back-to-back when shopping for mine and felt the same way.
In fact I "settled" for a 4.8i sport because after months of searching I couldn't find a 35d that had AD optioned along with the other goodies I wanted.

#3 ·
Yep, when you get your x5. Download the the BMW ultimate drive app and take your suv for a spin on some curve road around your area.

Remember to take it after your break in period to get the tire and brake proper wear for better traction and braking power.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Bimmer App

#7 ·
Nice to hear.

Ive characterized it as 'makes the car drive like it is 1000 lbs lighter'. Which is something you feel at any speed, and 'aggression level'.

I do agree that it isnt 'needed'- as with so many features on cars, it is a personal decision that really must be driven by what the owner values. Not the CA.

:)

A

#11 ·
If you do a search, you will find a ton of information on AD. Basically, think of it as a sophisticated sway bar system which constantly works to make sure that the vehicle is level, even when taking sharp turns. Best option in my opinion for the money for a heavy SUV with center of gravity relatively high, such as the X5.

The difference between a non-AD and an AD equipped X5 is significant, but only you can decide it is worth spending $3,500 on it. Personally I would choose AD over, say a Premium Pkg (same price), any day. After all, I bought the X5 for it's performance and handling characteristics over the competing brands. YMMV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.