BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

removing resonator only??

159K views 437 replies 80 participants last post by  derekwilkinson 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I currently own a 09 650i convertible
i was thinking going to the shop tomorrow to get the resonator removed and keep the stock exhaust...
will this make the sounder louder? or should i not even bother doing so?

#4 ·
After reading that thread I plan on removing all 3 resonators first with an x-pipe and see how that sounds with stock mufflers.

#6 ·
Thank you guys!, tomorrow I'm going to the shop to get the front and rear resonator removed but leaving the x pipe in the middle and keeping the stock mufflers!

#8 ·
will do :)

#9 ·
This weekend I too am removing the all resonators and installing the x pipe. Car is way too quite .

#11 · (Edited)
The resonators do a huge amount of sound deadening. Check out the YouTube vid below where a guy replaced the stock exhausts with straight pipes and it was actually not that loud due to the resonators.

Hmmm....I think I like the sound of the exhaust delete better. Its a bit deeper. :confused:

Here are two vids of stock exhaust with no resonators, might actually be too much.

Here are two vids from the guy who just eliminated the stock exhausts:
No Exhaust 1
No Exhaust 2

#12 ·
how do you do an exhaust delete? do you replace it with aftermarket exhaust? or

#14 ·
do i go into the shop and ask for the muffler delete then??

#15 ·
Yes, they just pull the exhausts and install a custom straight pipe with tips. Should cost $100 to $200 max.

#18 ·
I thought it was posted in the other thread that deleting the third resonator and replacing it with an Xpipe lets the engine breath better.
Deleting the Catbacks, although sounds better, does nothing to unrestrict the engine, apparently it will still bottleneck where the Xpipe should go.

I am thinking to just delete the third resonator, install the Xpipe first and see how that sounds then go from there.

#19 ·
decisions decisions.....now I too do not knwo which way to go? Would going NO muffler be a loss of torque though for not having enough back presure or would the resonators provide enough? I do not want to make any mods that will loose power or set off my check engine lights but man she needs some more sound

#20 ·
Actually another big problem with the OEM system is the fact that BMW changes the pipe diameter from 60mm down to 55mm after the second "joining" resonator, which restricts flow by ~ 20%.

I am not 100% sure what I want to do now either. I want more volume on wide-open-throttle but I don't want to add drone at highway speeds. A performance boost would be a bonus but it's not my number one priority.

It's hard to make a decision on two YouTube videos. It would be great if someone on the forum who's done the resonator delete could add some feedback.

#21 · (Edited)
Just left my muffler shop that does all high end cars. Ferrari, Lambo, Aston etc. The guy did my murcielago removed all cats, straight piped into aftermarket exhaust system. Now that was loud.

We put my six on the rack and low and behold I have magna flow mufflers!!! I was told the car had the BMW sports exhaust when I bought her and alot of people here questioned that so I looked for that option and could not find it for the six. Now I know why, there is NO BMW sports exhaust for the six I have magna flow mufflers. :D

Anyway I told him looking for a better sound and told him about the suggestions made hear. He said the thing to do is remove the front two resonators and place either an X pipe there or H pipe. The x pipe will give a high pitched F-1 sound and the H-pipe a more muscle car. I opted for the X pipe. Then also remove the rear (box resonator) and straight pipe from there to the muffler. 2.5 inch or 60mm all the way. $200 dollars and he said it will sound much better and no droning. The droning is caused from the x pipe placed in the rear near the muffler or just straight pripes. If the x pipe is placed up fron where the front two resonators are you shoudl have no droning. He also said no loss of torque or HP. Getting her done next Tuesday cant wait! :thumbup:

#22 ·
I'm on my way to muffler shop right now! I'll prob ask how "white drop top" option will sound like but I'll prob do both muffler delete and that too then :)

#24 ·

Resonators and mufflers!

#25 ·
I decided to get my muffler deleted and leave my stock resonator,
The guy at the shop told me that removing the resonator will sound too loud haha
Removing the muffler with straight pipe and leaving the stock tip!

He said it will take me hour-hour and an half with 140!

#26 ·
wow that stock muflfler looks like $hit! I woudl imagine real heavy too. Are you going to remove the muffler and go straight pipe instead? Not only will it be loudder but save maybe 50lbs of ass weight

#27 ·
Hahaha seriously! I'm getting a straight pipe and leaving the stock tip!:)

#28 ·
I think my car is like 1000 pounds lighter LOL

#30 ·

One side done!:)

#32 ·

Final touch up! And I'll post up video when I get back home when I have my computer!

#33 ·
well how does it sound my man!!!!!!:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.