BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

USB for Music - All you need to know thread...

11K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  Sonicendeavor 
#1 ·
Can anyone describe their experience with a portable USB drive/stick and the iDrive controller?

1. Does the system read files in a root directory or can they be in folders (a la iTunes) as well?
2. Are there limitations on bitrate or quality?:dunno:
3. Are there limitations on media size? I have a 1TB portable HDD - would this work?
4. Artwork through USB? Possible? Worth adding the images on the HDD or not?
5. Are there brands of media (PNY, Kingston, WD) that have been problematic?

My experiences:

Keeping files in the parent directory works best - there are times when I try to "dive in" to folders and things just slow down/fail to access

My 1TB HDD works but it's noticeably slower than my 128GB patriot "pen" flash drive

Artwork never works but I've not tried extensively - only used JPG format

PNY works well. My WD HDD (small book style) gives me problems and frequently goes to sleep ? a power requirement that it can't draw from the USB....

LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR THOUGHTS....

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm new here so I have no experience yet. My thought is to just plug my iPhone into the dock in the center console and manage the music that way. I'm assuming the complete file structure/playlists etc. will be available through iTunes. My iPhone gets to charge at the same time as well. :)

#3 ·
1. Folders work fine
2. No limitations on bitrate that I've found. I've tested all the way up to high resolution flac 24/192 including flac encoded dts 5.1.
3. Don't know
4. Artwork displays - no problem
5. I'm using a cheap Sandisk Cruzer i had hanging around and it works flawlessly. I'll probably get something sturdier, but for my initial testing it works fine.

#7 ·
Has anyone had issues with certain folders not being recognized in the car? I copied the artist folders from my iTunes onto a USB key and, for the most part, the albums folders and songs inside those folders are being recognized by the iDrive system, but not 100%. The best example I have is that I copied my Beatles folder from my computer onto the USB key, which folder includes every album they have done. Unfortunately, when I go to Beatles as the artist in the iDrive menu and then select albums, it only shows 3 of the albums. When I look at the memory key on my computer, all of the other albums have been copied to he memory key, they just don't show up in the iDrive menu. The missing albums also don't show up if I try to find them by searching songs. It's as if they just won't be recognized. However, they do show up when I connect my iPhone to the car, so it can't be a problem in the files themselves or the information contained in those files. Any help would be most appreciated!

#9 ·
iDrive reads the tags in the song files, so you need to be sure the tags in the files are correct. To test this, in iTunes, right-click on a song from an album that is not showing in iDrive, click 'get info', click the 'Info' tab and make sure that the Name, Artist, Album Artist, Album and Genre fields have the correct information. Make sure the Artist field is identical in all songs by that artist (e.g. 'Beatles' and 'The Beatles' will appear as two different artists in iDrive).

#11 ·
The tags in the songs are all correct which is why it works perfectly when my iPhone is the audio source. It just isn't recognizing the identically tagged songs hen transferred to USB key. Any other ideas?

#12 ·
The tags in the songs are all correct which is why it works perfectly when my iPhone is the audio source. It just isn't recognizing the identically tagged songs hen transferred to USB key. Any other ideas?
MP3's and MP4's have two different sets of tags in each file - ID3v1 and ID3v2. You could have a conflict between the tags. You'd need to use tagging software to see both tags, as iTunes only displays ID3v2.
If that's not the problem, then possibly reformat the USB drive (make sure the format is FAT32) then copy your music again.
That's all I can think of. I don't have any issues with folders or missing songs/artists on my USB drive, except when the tags are missing.

#16 ·
I dont know but I can reformat it and test it

#18 ·
I sometimes also get a "file cannot be played" message. Is this the AAC format? I didn't realize there were limitations on format/file type.

I'm also curious if your platform makes a difference. I use a Mac OS (Mavericks) and it sees the files/directory structure OK but I get the occ. hitch with playback or the graphics/tag read outs...

#19 · (Edited)
AAC is supported as long as it's not DRM protected.
iDrive supports MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC
Platform shouldn't matter, but the format of the USB drive *might* be an issue if it's not FAT32. I haven't tested any other formats but some have reported issues.

#21 ·
iDrive interfaces with iOS. It doesn't read the iPod hard drive directly so the iPod drive format doesn't matter.

#22 ·
I realize this is an older thread (sorry, been away from the forum for a bit), but I had done extensive Album Art research last year, and posted the results in this thread. You may find it helpful:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664982

Summaries, based on using a 32GB USB drive, FAT32, in the center console. I have around 8,000 MP3s on it.

1) I have an extensive folder/sub-folder/more sub-folder setup. Works like a charm. Instant response, whether searching or browsing. Instant.
2) All MP3s, but bitrate varies from ughh to very high. All play.
4) Artwork absolutely works, and one has extensive control over what appears. Read the thread for more info.

Again, sorry for the thread bump, and hope this helps.

#30 ·
AIFF and Art

I have searched everywhere and can't seem to find an answer to this question.

First, I want to use the USB for music, not for convenience, but for fidelity. Bluetooth fidelity, over any device, is crap. I have the Harmon Kardin in my f10, which is absolutely wasted on Bluetooth. Playing only MP3 files via the USB is also a waste, since the fidelity is no better than Bluetooth.

The difference between AIFF files via USB and those other methods might not bother some, but it drives me nuts. There IS a huge difference.

My problem is this--there does not seem to be a way to include album art with AIFF files over USB with a flash or hard drive. Has anyone found a solution to this issue?

#32 ·
I have searched everywhere and can't seem to find an answer to this question.

First, I want to use the USB for music, not for convenience, but for fidelity. Bluetooth fidelity, over any device, is crap. I have the Harmon Kardin in my f10, which is absolutely wasted on Bluetooth. Playing only MP3 files via the USB is also a waste, since the fidelity is no better than Bluetooth.

The difference between AIFF files via USB and those other methods might not bother some, but it drives me nuts. There IS a huge difference.

My problem is this--there does not seem to be a way to include album art with AIFF files over USB with a flash or hard drive. Has anyone found a solution to this issue?
IDrive doesn't seem to support embedded artwork in the AIFF container like it does with flac, but if you store the artwork in a file named folder.jpg in the same folder as the album, IDrive will display the artwork with your aiff file (at least it does in my 2014).

Also, just for fun, use the ABX comparator in Foobar2k to perform a blind comparison between a 320k MP3 and an AIFF at the same 89db reference level. Some of the best recording engineers and self-proclaimed audiophiles have changed their tune on supposedly being able to hear the difference, even as low as 192k mp3's. On a barely average audio system like the HK system in the F10, forget it. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.