BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Hood wont OPEN!

56K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  Joooo 
#1 ·
Another Problem! My hood will not open. I think the cable has broke or has came off. There is no tension on the pully to open the hood inside the car. I tried and tried to get it open but no luck. I kno it has a latch on each side of the hood but have no idea how to get it open. Any advice will help!

Tks in Advance

#3 ·
My hood opens fine from the inside of the car....but the lever inside the grill is kind of strange...point in different directions all the time... and the hood doesnt stand up...falls back down....

#5 ·
You will need to have your Gas filled stuts replaced for the Engine hood.

#6 ·
Another Problem! My hood will not open. I think the cable has broke or has came off. There is no tension on the pully to open the hood inside the car. I tried and tried to get it open but no luck. I kno it has a latch on each side of the hood but have no idea how to get it open. Any advice will help!

Tks in Advance
Same thing happened to mine. I learned there were three cables to open the hood mine turned out to be the one inside the car attached to the lever. I had to have that cable and the lever replaced.

#7 ·
Unfortunately it isn't my inside cable. I already took the stuff inside the car apart and it looks good. My problem is under the hood, but guess what???....I can't get the hood to pop. I can not access the locks like on Keifs post because the post is for 745. They added more things and it is not accessable on 750's. I hope there is another way. The dealer told me that tghey would have to cut the cables and it would cost $775.

#24 ·
hood release/ indy shop scam!

Just had this happen. My shop installed a tranny in 2004. Great job by the way and only cost me 850. I had to track down the tranny. Anyway, first thing the shop says when i pick up is we could not get your hood open. Odd, why are you needing under the hood??? And, it worked fine before. He of course offers to fix it. I decline. I followed the awesome dyi here but was having a hell of a time with the cable and it was a bitch to get to. I have big forearms and it is tight in there. I took off the wheel well, windshield wiper fluid container bracket and made a tool. Worked so perfect.

Take a weed puller gardening tool. Looks like a 2 pronged fork about 12 inches long with wood handle. Put it in the vice and bend to 90. Stick it up to the latch and tug. 1st try it worked. My latch was pretty snug and I had no help so getting it with my fingers was impossible. This worked perfect.

Anyway on to the scam. On the driver side rail where the cable harness is there is a 4 inch plastic container with the diameter of a penny. I unlatched it and bam! there is the fn cable unhooked. No damage just lifted from the bracket. I snap it back in and everything works great. What a scumbag! There is no doubt after snapping it back in the Indy was trying to jam me. He pops the cable out of the bracket, offers to fix for 4-500, probably says it was broken and needed replaced. He pop that thing back in 10 secs and invoices.

Anyway PM me if you would like a pic of the tool I made.

#10 ·
Once again, Keif's instuctions work PEREFECTLY for 745's. It also worked for taking apart the inside under the dash by the handle. I have a 750 and it is too obstucted to get in there. There are bars, resevoirs, and metal plates in the way.

#11 ·
If anyone in Houston has a 750 that I can look at, please let me know.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer App

#13 ·

Tks in Advance
Had same problem and took me 5 mins, got car on ramps and removed engine cover under car and located latch with torch and got long piece metal to push latch where cable come out

#15 ·
Hood Won't Open

I have a 2006 750li with a hood I can't open. I think the cable may have stretched. The opening lever was always almost to the end before it opened, now you feel pleasure but it won't open. I've pulled the release lever all the way and pushed down on the hood to help it release. I've removed the internal lever and pulled directly on the cable. I've seen the posts for the 745, but after I removed the window washer reservoir per instructions, there are still to many things in the way to reach or even see the latch. My assumption is I must manually release the two latches from the front. I'm really at a loss, but before I start cutting into the sheet metal from the back, or something else really radical, I'd like to hear how others have solved the problem.

#22 ·
Thanks, Eric! I've taken apart the release handle as well as removed the kick panel to expose the cable and tugged on it pretty good, with and without someone applying pressure to the hood latch positions. I've put it in the air and removed both front wheels and the inner fender wells, with the washer resevoir removed and still was unable to access the cables. I also removed the bumper cover as much as possible without being able to remove the top bolts under the hood. The only thing I have yet to try is to remove the front grill which I havent had anyone confirm so I held off to avoid busting the clips on the grill. Sorry for the book, I wanted to cover the steps i've taken so far in hopes that someone can shed some light on what i'm missing. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

#23 ·
:drive:Seems to me, if the difference between these models is some extra plates and air box, Keif's outstanding write up with pics shows the rest. My hood wouldn't open on my 02 e65 and once I removed the inner wheel liner, I could just barely reach the hood latch from below. So I took a thin long straight bar that wouldn't bend ( it was the bar on a 3' carpenters clamp) and slid it up from below against the latch where the cable connects (you can see the cable from below thru the slot). I pushed hard out towards the fenderand it popped open.

So on my 02, tonight I just replaced the inside rear cable, bracket and handle (didn't fix it), then the the middle cable that has the housing built into the end of it to connect to the rear cable. That housing was shot.. The housing containing the middle cable connects between the hood latch at the front and the inner cable. I bought a new hood latch as well. Manual says to pull the headlight out, but don't do it. That section is an easy swap with just 2 torque screws and the hood bracket and the cable w/housing come out together.

works slick now. At 208K miles, I have to open the hood more :drive:

#26 ·
I am drilling out spot welds on the wheel well, hopefully can pull the sheet metal a little bit.

But I am not sure whether I can see the cable and latch after his.

If this is not working, the only way will be cut the bumper and headlight, which is completely wrong.

Is there any successfully story can be shared recently?

#27 ·
This happened to me today- could not open the hood using the inside lever, even though there was resistance. After finding this thread and ready how labor intensive and invasive some of the proposed solutions were, I decided to take the approach of pulling the cable with pliers.

After removing the lever, kick panel and OBD plug, I proceeded to remove the mounting bracket. The top screw has some access issues but you can reach it without removing anything else under the dash.

Next, using a small flat head screwdriver, I released the cable stop from the rotating base that the lever attaches to. Then, using locking pliers - I pulled the cable until the hood popped open. Both the left and right latches under the hood definitely needed lubrication, which likely led to the hood being stuck after prolonged non-use.

Likely, my cable stretched during this process, but I do have a fix in mind that I should be able to update in the next day or so.

This was the main thread that popped up when I was frantically searching so I hope this post helps someone else dealing with this issue that remarkably has never plagued my 27 year old Acura Legend ***x1f914;

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.