BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Steering Rack serviceable

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mgarciah 
#1 ·
I have an E90 2006, I have some weird knocking sounds from the front axle, my mechanic told me that there is some thing wrong with the Steering rack but it is not serviceable so it must be replaced...:cry: price here...US$3000.00:rofl::rofl: is there any way to fix it??

I saw some used on ebay but just want to know experiences from others.

#5 ·
Well I have no further info than.... ".. it is damaged and must be replaced..." I will pick up my car on monday and I will check it myself, just want to confirm if there is nothing to do with it if its damaged, the symptom... the knocking sound comes from the left side and it more noticiable in reverse, in forward you hear a knock in reverse is like something loose.

#8 ·
Get a 2nd opinion from another respected BMW shop.
Yes your rack is rebuildable but it has to be removed and sent to a shop like
http://shop.rackdoctor.net/category.sc?categoryId=6

They rebuild racks for a lot of makes and do a quality rebuild.
How expensive is it to ship it there and back I don't know.

I just had them ship me a rebuild and I sent the core back.
I would suggest you call them and talk to them if the 2nd shop provides the same analysis.
I have never heard of the sounds you mention related to a rack. Typically a bad rack is hard to turn when the car is cold and moans and then when warms goes away.
Yours sound more like a suspension piece is broken...

#9 ·
Thanks for your answers, mine sounds when you "force" the turn, I mean on highways there is no sound but if you try to turn at slow speed it will sound but not always, I already changed ball joints and other suspension pieces but the sound remains, when you go in reverse it is easier to hear it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.