BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

In transit!!

18K views 66 replies 16 participants last post by  Wluhawks 
#1 · (Edited)
Just confirmed that my X1 is now in transit as of 7/29. Was ordered on 7/9, finished production on 7/18 and released to the Carrier on 7/19. From what I understand it is a 12-day trip to the port in Baltimore. Hopefully be driving it by Aug 16th-ish. :fruit:

#2 ·
It's more likely to be held at BMW NA until the official release in September, but maybe someone will let it slip by. I hope so for your sake!

#4 ·
Looking forward to your driving experiences. What options & model configuration did you get?

#5 ·
very nice. track it

#6 · (Edited)
confirmation from my salesman that they will be held in US port, but only until August 17. Since mine is a 'sold order' it will be released before the others, and his BMW rep assured him I would have the vehicle before the end of August. Only a few days longer than I was expecting to wait any way.
Model/Configuration is X1 xdrive, Sport Line, Midnight Blue/Coral Red, Cold Weather pkg, Ultimate pkg, Sirus radio.

#7 ·
I'm very close to ordering an X1 myself, but holding out to test drive it before I make a final decision, especially regarding engine choice. Can you tell us which engine you chose and why?

#8 ·
Do you know which ship/shipping line your car is on? I tracked my to a 7/20 completion date. It was confirmed to have reached the port of exit on 7/25, but it has yet to board a vessel as far as we can tell.

Is you CA making an assumption about whether it boarded a ship? Your CA should be able to tell you which ship it is aboard, without that there's no objective evidence that it's crossing the Atlantic yet.

#19 · (Edited)
My X1 has also been waiting at the port of exit since 7/25. And I am also in California, SoCal. From what I've been reading most of the people who already have knowledge of their cars being in transit have a East Coast Port of Entry. I haven't come across anyone on the West Coast who's X1 is in transit. I checked the Wallenius & Wilhelmsen ships (which seems to be the carrier used for BMWs heading to the US) that have left Bremerhaven over the last week and they were all heading for East Coast ports. I did find a few that were continuing on to Port Hueneme (California) via Panama Canal, and I thought that my car might be on one of those, but they left port with no update to my tracking status. There is the Toscana leaving Bremerhaven tonight and only stopping in Baltimore, once it leaves Europe and then heading to Port Hueneme and arriving on 09/01. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is on that ship. If not, the next ship heading to Port Hueneme leaves Bremerhaven on 08/10, the Oberon, which after leaving Europe goes directly to Port Heuneme, arriving on 09/04. And the Tristan, leaving on 08/25, also heading directly to Port Heuneme after Europe with no stops in between, and arriving on 09/19. I think because of the large allocation they will be delivering to the West Coast, it will be a ship with no stops on the East Coast, which could be the Oberon and Tristan, which arrive in Port Hueneme on 09/04 and 09/19.

#9 ·
I've been using the BMW tracking toll-free number (800.831.1117) as well as the BMW website to track the status. 800# tells me my vehicle is 'In Transit' and prior to that it said it was at the port waiting for transport. The website was updated a day later to reflect this, and my dealer confirmed also. He sent me the screen shot that they use to track showing it had indeed left port. However, I did not get the name of the ship it is on.

I chose the 2.0 Twin Turbo because the power difference between that and the 6 was not much different. Currently drive an Audi A4 2.0 turbo with 211 hp and that has plenty of power for my needs. With 241 in the BMW, it will certainly be enough for me. Plus the price difference didn't justify the slight bump. Everything I've researched pointed to the 2.0 being the better all-around choice. I chose the Sport Line specifically because I wanted the Coral Red and that was the only way to get it.

#11 ·
For mine, the online site lists each package I ordered, Sport Line, Cold Weather and Ultimate, then also lists the packages included under the Ultimate (Premium, Driver's Assistance, Technology), along with my color choices for exterior and interior. The only other option I ordered was Satellite Radio, which is also listed.
Not sure where you are in the ordering process, but if I recall, my list did not include all of the packages until a few days into the 'Production Begins' step. It was not showing complete while still under the 'Order Documented' phase.

#21 ·
My X1 is due in Baltimore on Aug 11. And, being that they are no longer being held at port, I should be driving it within that next week. Not sure how long it takes to get loaded on the transport truck, but it's less than 250 miles from Baltimore to Pittsburgh. I'll give an update on my first impressions and try to get some photos loaded too.

#27 ·
he just sent me an email, didn't go into the details on exact model. Not pre-sold because he said it was sitting in the showroom and just suggested if I wanted to see the color in person to stop by. If I understand correctly, the only other model available with Midnight Blue is the X6. Mine is due in Baltimore on Saturday. Doubt I can make it in there before the weekend, and with any luck, I'll be seeing mine anyway a few days after that.

#29 · (Edited)
Finally!

I finally got my vehicle shipping information from my CA, and despite the fact that both the tracking information on-line and the BMWNA 800 number status still have my vehicle "at the port of exit awaiting a shipping vessel" (since 7/27), my vehicle is actually in transit. :roundel: It left Bremerhaven on 8/03 aboard the ASTERIA LEADER, which belongs to carrier NYK Line, and not on a WW ship as I had originally expected. It should arrive in Port Hueneme on 8/28, according to the screen print of the vehicle inquiry provided to me by my CA. In order to see what stops are in between, you need a login for NYK Line's website, so I can only estimate when it will be going through the Panama Canal, to try to catch it on the webcam. Based on other ships that have passed through the Panama Canal, and have gone on to Port Hueneme, I estimate it will pass through the Canal on the 19th or 20th. But for now it can be tracked here.

#32 ·
I finally got my vehicle shipping information from my CA, and despite the fact that both the tracking information on-line and the BMWNA 800 number status still have my vehicle "at the port of exit awaiting a shipping vessel" (since 7/27), my vehicle is actually in transit. :roundel: It left Bremerhaven on 8/03 aboard the ASTERIA LEADER, which belongs to carrier NYK Line, and not on a WW ship as I had originally expected. It should arrive in Port Hueneme on 8/28, according to the screen print of the vehicle inquiry provided to me by my CA. In order to see what stops are in between, you need a login for NYK Line's website, so I can only estimate when it will be going through the Panama Canal, to try to catch it on the webcam. Based on other ships that have passed through the Panama Canal, and have gone on to Port Hueneme, I estimate it will pass through the Canal on the 19th or 20th. But for now it can be tracked here.
As confirmed by my CA today, my car is the on the Asteria Leader as well. The website indicates that it is at port awaiting transport and the 800 number indicates that it is "in transit", so I guess the dealers have the most up-to-date info. Thanks for the tip! Hopefully I'll have my car in the first week of Sept.

#34 ·
Confirmed today with my dealer that our X1 is also on the Asteria Leader! That's awesome because both the BMW hotline and the website indicated it was sitting in port up until yesterday (the 9th), even though the ship left port on the 3rd. Arrival 8/28, CA says car should be at the lot within 5 days! wooooo! :bigpimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.