BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Does the exact same footwell module need coding?

45K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  dowrt9fc 
#1 ·
My reverse lights went out and I found the broken ground wire in the trunk. After fixing that my reverse lights wont go on so I took it down to the dealer and they told me the Footwell Module needs to be replaced for $925. I don't want to pay nearly a grand to the dealer so I ask if I take out the old one and replace it with the exact same serial number ie 6135 6961133 -02 will I still need to get it coded? I have read many posts and there seems to be a bit of confusion out there. Does anyone know yes or no for certain?

Thanks.

#4 · (Edited)
I had a headlight "bulb out" issue. The Footwell Module cut off power to the circuit due to a short circuit in the wiring. I replaced my headlights, but the lights would still not turn on. I took it to my Indy who plugged in his Autologic. Ten screen taps and 20 seconds later, the lights worked.

Total price...........$0.00, so I bought him lunch and a six pack.

The Footwell Module can be reset. Don't let a dealer tell you otherwise. $250.00 for 20 seconds of work is rape. $400.00 for a part you don't need is torture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.