BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

More Power!

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Vortec4800 
#1 ·
So I have spent many years adding power to my 335i and admit to not being able to leave things alone t ypically. First step on the X3 was to recode all the cool features I could (available in other threads), but I also decided I could use a little more power- not crazy stuff like the 335i, but just a little more kick in the pants.

Since there is not a lot available for the X3, I settled on the Juicebox State 1 from Burger Motorsports, I had used their JB4 at one point on my 335i, but switched to a GIAC flash eventually, but not for any other reason than the flash could do a little more in combination with my other modifications.

I received my Juicebox in 2days and the installation was pretty easy, just 2 plugs it intercepts (one is under the airbox though, so a bit of work to get to). The only issues I had with the install was that the instructions say to put it in the top of the ECU box for most models, but the X3 does not have an ECU box under the hood, so no good waterproof area to put it. I pinged Terry at Burger Motorsports and he suggested putting it in a watertight bag like a ziplock or something and then just put it somewhere out of harms way under the hood. I did not love the suggestion, but the only other option would be to buy an extension cable and move it into the passenger compartment which is a lot of work.

So I ended up wrapping it in a bag and then electrical taping it very well and finding the driest spot I could.

That being said, it works great, gives a noticeable boost in power for the money and otherwise drives just as smooth as before with just a little extra kick. Very happy with the product for the money.

Rob

See less See more
#4 ·
Am I seeing 30HP for $100 bucks? Seems like least costly is the best bang for the buck? Is that what drove your decision?

MPG effect or does it not matter to you?

Pretty cool.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Mpg was not a big consideration, but seems relatively unaffected.

I did the JB Stage 1, $379 but 50 hp/60 torque, a good deal for the additional power and quick and easy to install and remove. One other advantage is it has resale value, where an $800 flash cannot be resold.

#3 ·
:jawdrop:

:wow:
:supdude:

#6 ·
Only voids warranty if they can prove the the tune is the cause of the problem. Even if you remove JB4 before bringing into dealer they can look at logs and tell if you were tuned.

I've read in a different thread that JB4 tune will not control variable valve timing, VANOS and other critical engine components like individual cylinder ignition timing???

#7 ·
I also have the JB3 in my 35i and it's great. Easy install like you said once I tracked down the connectors. I found for the X3 only using 2 of the 3 plugs worked best. I put mine near the cabin filter on the passenger side, dremeled out a little wire hole and it sits nicely there.

What settings are you running yours at?

#9 ·
Mine is just the Stage 1, not a JB3 or JB4, so no settings and only uses 2 plugs.

i was going to try to put it near the cabin filter, but it seems a bit too short the way I had run the wires to get it there, so I ended up butting it on the drivers side tucked under the fender out of harms way as much as I could get it and well water proofed.

Rob

#8 ·
The warranty thing depends - it can only void your warranty if they can prove it caused the issue (magnuson moss act), so if the motor explodes, it could be a bit painful if they know you had it tuned. That being said, it also depends on the dealer/technician - some, like mine have no issue with it, others like to try to deny warranty work at the drop of a hat. As for detection, this is a mild tune and just basically lies to the ECU about that the boost sensors are seeing, so it acts like the car already does at high altitude by increasing boost a bit within factory specifications. Since it lies to the ECU about what the boost is really at, the logging still sees the boost at normal levels. As for things like valve timing and Vanos and timing, the car is still controlling those, those issue come in more when you are going way above what the factory maps can handle with the boost and then need to control fuel and timing. Since it is within the limits of the factory software for max boost, it does not trip the tuner or high boost codes. That being said, I also have the ability to read all the codes and shadow codes and clear them if any were ever set.

If anyone is familiar with the turbo tuner for the N54, that is basically what this is doing.

Obviously there is some amount of risk, however small that you are modifying your vehicle and BMW may be able to deny coverage or give you a really hard time if they want to, so each person has to decide if the risk is worth while or not.

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.