BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Advise turbo charging m20b20 1983 e30

9K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  downhiller 
#1 ·
Hello there
I have e30 1983 with m20b20
I recently put a crankshaft of 23 and pistons, i still feel like more power, can anyone tell me if its possible to turbo charge it, i saw some turbo kits on ebay saying it can gives me up to 350 hp, is that possible?? What do i need to install the turbo, other than the turbo kit? Is that all?? Or the kit isnt complete it needs more parts? Can i install it by myself? Does it need a professional tunning for the turbo?
Ps my engine is l jettronik

#2 ·
to do a cheap turbo build, exhaust manifold, turbo, blowoff valve for 6-8#, intercooler, adjustable fuel regulator, bigger injectors, stronger ignition (msd box and coil). and of course the tubing to plumb the intake and exhaust. expect 30-50hp.

a good turbo build, motor change to the m42b20, total engine rebuild, standalone fuel system, boost adjustable depending on motor build, and of course alot of work done on the car to handle the added power. can have up to 500hp if tuned properly with proper components.

and if you think 500 hp isnt enough, i know a few honda guys that are pushing almost 1000hp on little civics

#3 ·
Turbo's can be reliable

In my trade I see a lot of Turbo conversions.
Most don't last the first 10 minutes of hard driving :mad:
So before you pay money ask the vendor if he can recommend customers who have done over 100 000 km's on his components :bigpimp:
We often read about the ultra-powerfull cars, forgetting that they are seldom thrashed at their limit for any length of time:eeps:
Or how long they have lasted :eek:

#4 ·
one of our older buddies had a supra that he put a single turbo on and had a company spare no expense on the build. 749hp at the wheels, 12.2 in the 1/4 at 6k ft above sea level. since he had the work done hes put alil over 40k on it. but this again was a guy who had cash. he also has a 850hp mustang that is his DD.

#5 ·
Downhiller, that is what I was referring to- building it right !
To build something right costs money, lots of it...
I recently tuned a brand new Land Cruiser that had a 1GR motor fitted to it, as an experiment.
Toyota said they spent well over 150 grand before dropping it with me.
Then there are those, who I referred to before, who think 10 grand is a lot to Turbocharge their 5'th hand Golf :(
ROE is about 9 Rand to the USD, if you want to put this into perspective :)

#6 ·
i always like those guys who junkyards find their turbo build then go to the drag track and blow their engine. most the time its fords and chevys getting a wedge piston but there are a few hondas and jappers that blow their motor in good fashion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.