BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

iPhone 4 & smartphone integration cradle

60K views 77 replies 38 participants last post by  06Black550i 
#1 ·
So the new iPhone 4 does not fit on the 3g/3GS cradle on my 2010 750.
How long before BMW comes out with a new cradle? (I know the new iPhones just started arriving yesterday).

I look at the cradle and I am considering using a file tool to modify the front so that the iPhone 4 fits - May work.

As a temporary workaround I am using an iPhone dock extension cable. Sold at Amazon for $19.70 USD.
Here is the link if anyone needs this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002X9GR76/ref=oss_product

At least the iOS 4 syncs as before via Blue Tooth

#51 ·
I've reviewed the bulliten and I do believe this new part that is available now for the iPhone 4 will not play media.

See below which I have lifted from the bulliten.

Parts Information:
Description
Snap***8208;in Adapter
Type Part Number
Apple
Apple® iTouch Music 84 21 2 162 534
Apple® iPhone Phone 84 10 9 182 792
Apple® iPhone Music 84 10 9 164 213
Apple® iPhone 3G/3GS Phone 84 21 2 158 682
Apple® iPhone 3G/3GS Music 84 21 2 158 683
Apple® iPhone 3G/3GS Media 84 21 9 229 004
Apple® iPhone 4 *NEW* Phone 84 21 2 199 389
Apple® iPhone 4 Music COMING SOON
Apple® iPhone 4 Media COMING SOON

#52 ·
Ok-- So far, I have ordered smartphone integration for $150 and an iPhone 4 cradle which I picked up today, PN 84.21-2 199 389-01 for $160... That is BY FAR the MOST expensive phone charger EVER!!! BMW SUCKS ON THIS!!! Almost a year later after the iPhone 4 is out...:mad::tsk::thumbdwn:

Why even put the cradle for sale if it does not work?? Are they morons???

#53 ·
I've been using the cradle for a few weeks now, and correct, no media access, which I don't care about because I dedicate a 160gb iPod in the car via the USB port.

But the signal strength is definitely improved. When I connect it in less than ideal signal areas, the signal strength increases. Disconnect it, and it decreases. So somehow, the sharfin is in use.

So from this perspective, I'm pleased.

#54 ·
Apple removed the extension from the 30 pin connector, so the increased reception is not true. Please see other posts and Apple discussions for complete documentation.

#58 ·
No, it was foreseen for middle of may, but again technical issues with the supplier prohibit the release of the cradle..
to be honest, I think this is insane, what is so difficult in creating the cradle ? Since the Y cable (or the standard delivered iphone white apple cable) works perfectly ! Even album covers are shown on screen. So it must be the use of the external antenne which causes problems ?

frustrating ....

#59 · (Edited)
I gave up on the cradles. I bought the one for the 3g and while the reception was better, it was a pain having to take off the case everytime. I have been using the Y-Cable since I got my iphone 4 and it works just fine. Even if the cradle does come out soon, I think I will pass. It's not worth buying it and then Apple releasing a new phone, like they have been doing every year.

#60 · (Edited)
A search on ebay for any current 2009-2011 phone ( choose your style) may include products such as screen protectors, power cables and plastic cradle with suction cup.
You can purchase the specific plastic cradle for your phone, remove the plastic holder from suction cup assembly (usually clips into each other) then simply Crazy Glue the adaptor into the BMW removable base.
Since the center console phone install by BMW automatically detects and through induction amplifies the signal and blu tooth is automatic detect, an update to any phone and phone cradle is easy.

ebay link for cradle holder http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Mount-Air-V...233668?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item4aab57bc44
When item arrives your only interested in the plastic cradle not the entire assembly with suction cup. As shown the cradle is a slim mount with thumb release. Phone orientation forward facing up with USB, 180 degrees to photo in ebay listing.
The item shown is slim mount with thumb release. Thumb release side of cradle should be mounted/oriented to side of BMW USB port not side wall of center console.
The item shown probably is attached with four tabs probably slide together easy to seperate from extension arm. Item should easily attach to flat surface of iPHONE mounting plate with a few drops of adhslive crazy glue or 3M tape, crayze glue is preferable.
There maybe different iPHONE bases for your type of iPHONE.
Any good car stereo installer should be able to mate the cardle holder to your BMW iPHONE plate if you choose otherwise not to install yourself.

#61 ·
For those of you that did invest in the iPhone 4 cradle now that its available, are any of you experiencing extreme heating of the phone? If I leave mine in for more than 45min it gets hot enough (the phone) to fry an egg. I let BMW know and they claim to not have heard of this issue at all. Im getting over the fact that I have a 400.00 phone charging system, but heat in electronics is never a good thing unless its by design (like a heater :)).

Any insight would be most appreciated.

#69 ·
Repeat... I've noticed that the phone doesn't get hot as long as you make sure the screen is off. You'll notice that once you plug it in it lights up. If you push the button at the top of the phone and make sure the screen is blank before you close your center console the phone shouldn't heat up. At least that's my observation...

#62 · (Edited)
Apparently there is a lot of buzz on the "iPHONE 4, iPHONE 3 get very hot" issue.
Google search for your benefit with many posts: http://www.google.com/search?q=iPHO...=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&rlz=1I7PRFA_en
A safe option althought time consuming is to log a service call and document the issue with your BMW service dept. If your charging iPhone 4 causes damage to your 7, liability will be with your BMW dealer that logged your complaint and Apple.
I'll say, all is normal for the heat due to battery type and voltage/current requirements to charge the device. No manufacturer wants a product liability issue and thier attorneys will make sure of a win to protect company assets.

Many electronics operate in very warm to hot conditions all perfectly normal: automotive radar detectors on dash in the sun post parking, modern vacuum tube audio, class A amplification, plasma displays, pro audio gear,etc.

Good luck, keep posting updates with your results.

#63 ·
Thanks for the comments. That said, the iPhone actually shuts down due to heat - this to me says there are some parts within the device that are heat sensitive and actually have a failsafe measure within to protect it from damage. And, since this heating only happens in the cradle and no other charging system that I use (OEM or aftermarket), my assumption there is either a flaw in the design or a flaw in my unit itself. In fact, so far its BMW's assumption too - its in for service under these conditions and they are troubleshooting now.

Looking for anyone who has gone through this or found a resolution.

#65 ·
Disappointed with BMW iPhone 4 integration

The media cradle does not provide true iPhone integration. It's simply an overpriced charging device that causes the phone to get hot. I contacted BMW NA and complained. I suggest we all do the same. There is no good reason why BMW cannot create a cradle that integrates the digital music and the telephone features through the idrive without multiple cables!! You can voice your frustration to BMW NA at 1-800-831-1117
:mad:

#66 ·
I just got my iphone MUSIC cradle yesterday. All works ok, I can control the iphone from the i-drive, browse through folders and so on. But what surprises me, is that album cover art is NOT shown on screen. However, when I plug in the iphone via the y-cable into the USB port, the albums cover do show up...

Frustrating ! Why can't it work via the cradle ?

At a price of 144 euros, a pretty expensive piece of plastic .... that can do less than (also expensive) y-cable ...

#68 ·
Folks: the MEDIA iPhone adapter behaves differently depending on the options on your 7. I tried on mine before buying (and as a result, didn't buy it): it only charges the phone and increases reception. On others (with Combox etc) it will play media and provide album art. Frustrating as heck, but that's the deal.

#78 · (Edited)
Bought the iPhone 4 media cradle for my '12AH7L. I have BMW apps on the car. I used the media cradle over the weekend. Not for me. I don't need to Facebook or get news headlines while driving. Video playback didn't take full advantage of auto widescreen format/aspect ratio the way DVDs do in park. I keep a cigarette charger in the glove compartment just in case I run low on juice. And I didn't detect any AT&T reception improvement in our usual low signal zones. Prefer using my dedicated 80g iPod classic in center console with solo USB cable for music, audiobooks & album art in right split screen. I also stored abt twenty additional playlists in car's 12g hard drive for music back up. Plus I use iTunes cloud, so all music playback on my iPhone 4 would have to stream/download. I was particularly dismayed by inclusion of cradle tiny fan to cool the phone?! Whatever happened to an AC vent like the ones tucked within my Benzes & previous BMWs?
I returned the cradle on Monday.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.