BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Interesting ghost comparison on Cayman vs. Z4

8K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  teagueAMX 
#1 ·
I threw this together really quickly so I could understand the driving position difference between the Cayman and all-new Z4. These are at the identical scale, with the front wheels aligned.

Note the longer front overhang on the Cayman, and how much further forward the leading edges of the doors are!

- Mike

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
cayman - mid engine - seating position moved more forward for space for engine and longer overhang infront on front wheel for better weight distribution
z4 - front engine - seating position moved aft due to long engine and less overhang in the front and more in the back for better weight distribution

:dunno:

#6 ·
Yes, but the new Z4 has the driver sitting much further rearward* than most front engine/rear drive sports cars!

* Styling took precedence over optimal driving position and outward visibility.

- Mike

#11 ·
No need to apologize. More people buy the Z4 than the Cayman!

- Mike

#12 ·
I drove a 6 speed 3.0 and a Cayman S back to back yesterday. Each car provides a TOTALLY different driving experience. The Z4 is far more refined, smooth, much quieter interior. The front forward visibility on the Cayman is much better than the Z and the seats/interior were more attractive IMO. I could go on but the only way to compare the cars is with a test drive.
And there is no convertible Cayman unless you want the Boxter. I think both cars look great but I can't emphasize enough how different the driving experience is. Yesterday was my first test drive of a Porche and I expected more. I asked to see the engine and the saleman advised that the best access is from under the car or you can take off a huge trunk lid to access some parts of the motor. This is definitely no a DIY car. The Z definitely gets my vote. :thumbup:

#15 ·
Hi new here - nice to meet you all.

. . .and the seats/interior were more attractive IMO.

I think both cars look great but I can't emphasize enough how different the driving experience is. Yesterday was my first test drive of a Porche and I expected more.

The Z definitely gets my vote. :thumbup:
badbee, it sounds like you definitely liked the Z4 better in most respects, but I have a question:

When you say you expected more, what did you expect that the Porsche didn't have that you like better about the Z4?

Hate to be too picky, but I used to be a Porsche fan, but frankly they don't do a whole lot for me anymore so I've been looking at a couple of bimmers - the Z4 and the X6.

#13 · (Edited)
I threw this together really quickly so I could understand the driving position difference between the Cayman and all-new Z4. These are at the identical scale, with the front wheels aligned.

Note the longer front overhang on the Cayman, and how much further forward the leading edges of the doors are!
This reminds me of every time I drove my C5 Corvette, how I was grimacing when the front would scrape the road when I would exit the driveway for the road.... After replacing the skids that came with the front subframe, I installed a set of rollers so that the skids would not wear out. I wonder if the Cayman has similar scraping problems?

#21 ·
Not that this would really affect many people's purchasing habits, but I like the idea of the engine being in front of me. If I ran into something, it'd be nice of the engine compartment and all its mass to take the brunt of the blow.

I guess the same could be said about being rear ended in a Cayman.

#22 ·
I don't think they have been able to prove an increased "death rate" for mid- or rear-engined vehicles due to engine location. :dunno: But, I see the logic.

Mid-engine placement is preferred for handling balance, regardless of crash safety. Take a look at the Lotus Elise, Carrera GT, McLaren F1, Bugatti Veyron... even the 70's-era BMW M1. :thumbup:

- Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.