BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

DIY: F10 Wheel spacer install

29K views 47 replies 15 participants last post by  LMK 
#1 · (Edited)
This mod is as easy as changing a tire. For those that may be a bit apprehensive, I took a few pics and made some notes for the install.

I installed 15mm Turner Motorsports spacers on the rear of my 2011 535i (F10). She is wearing the factory 19" sport wheels with 275/35/19 rubber on the rear.

I am very happy with this mod as I feel that it gives the vehicle a more muscular look. There is no change in ride quality and no vibrations (I had someone sit in the rear and took her up to triple digits to check).

Before starting, make sure to apply the parking brakes! Also remember to recheck the torque on the lugs after 2 weeks of driving. BMW recommends 90 ft-lb of torque.

Materials I used for the install:
- jack
- anti-seize cream (found only in auto parts store)
- wire brush
- torque wrench

Here is the link to the pics and notes for the install: DIY WHEEL SPACER INSTALL

Before - After

AFTER...........................................................

See less See more
#37 ·
I thought that was them. I like those a lot. They are a bit pricy so I had they dealership powder coat the rims in gloss black before I would buy the car so I would have a similar look. They didnt charge me so for the money I am satisfied. Though, I will be upgrading to those rims soon. Let us know how you like the spacers!!

#39 · (Edited)
do you think the black spacers would look good too? Im curious because my rims are completly gloss black

#43 ·
UPDATE:

I lowered my vehicle with ACS springs (modest drop) and the rear spaced wheels have lost its wide look. Of course the wheels will camber in a bit when the car is lowered (even after an alignment).

I decided to add 10mm front wheel spacers as it was more obvious they sat in (again, after the spring install). So far I have to say that I am not a big fan of using the 10mm spacers on the front. I feel like I have a slight vibration from my wheels at interstate speed (yes, I checked the torque on the lugs), and I don't like how it makes the rear spacing look square. Before the rear looked to sit wider and meaner. I think I may buy some 18mm spacers for the rear now. I was even debating about 20mm, but that may be a bit much. Thoughts?

Here is the link of the pics of the front wheels before and after:

https://plus.google.com/photos/1107...ms/5979264436431921969?authkey=CLPawO6T_fzhUQ

#44 · (Edited)
UPDATE:
I lowered my vehicle with ACS springs (modest drop) and the rear spaced wheels have lost its wide look. Of course the wheels will camber in a bit when the car is lowered (even after an alignment).
Looking nice :thumbup: When did you change your exhaust?

#46 ·
As much as I like a wider stance of any car, especially the muscular F10 - as a mechanical engineer I've always been wondering what is the long-term influence of excessive spacers like 20 mm on the wheel hubs, bearings etc. What has been said by BigDeep1 about front applies to the rear axle as well, just to a lesser degree.

I've replaced my 18" summer 350M+Conti RFTs with the 19" 351Ms with Michelin PSSs, and am very much tempted to add some 15mm spacers to the rear wheels, but for the reason mentioned cannot make up my mind. Of course, cars are supposed to be over-engineered and changing the bending moment marginally shouldn't exceed the strength margins, but... Are BMWs of today over-engineered the way they used to? With the overwhelming trend to generate savings and more profit, I don't think so..

A wider wheel-tire, going more inside just by as much as it does outside - now that'a another story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.