BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

From Bad 2 WORSE

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  SPDSKTR 
#1 ·
Hi all,
in my previous post I was looking for indy mech. in Tallahassee area. Be careful what you ask for! here's what's left of my car.

Short version:
indy. mechanic had my car for repairs at his shop over weekend
car caught on fire Monday morning in his warehouse bay (in storage facility)

he claims he wasn't working on car at the time
Car is ruined as you can see
5,500 in damages to car 2,500 in damages to warehouse bay
Found out yesterday he had no insurance at all
I didn't keep comp. insurance on the car once it hit 10th year

local salvage place offered $117.00. I'm filing small claims lawsuit but I'm looking for some much needed advice on what to do with the car now.

See less See more
#2 ·
Jesus, dude. I've never been in any situations like this, but cars don't spontaneously combust. The way I see it, the mechanic was responsible for the car's well being (although not responsible for "lost" or "stolen" articles... we know how that goes), so he should have to pay out of pocket for any damages.

Just my opinion and I am not a lawyer. Do not use this as legal advice.

#3 ·
Hi all,
in my previous post I was looking for indy mech. in Tallahassee area. Be careful what you ask for! here's what's left of my car.

local salvage place offered $117.00. I'm filing small claims lawsuit but I'm looking for some much needed advice on what to do with the car now.
OUCH ! That is SO sad....:cry:

Good luck trying to collect anything from that dirtbag....if he didn`t have even basic insurance, it`s likely he doesn`t have the proverbial pot to piss in....

#7 ·
Terrible - sorry for your loss. That's his shop? It looks like a run down personal garage. Lessons to be learned - always ask to see a copy of the business insurance of an indy mechanic (and you can also call the ins company to verify coverage is in force) and even if a car is older - carry comprehensive (fire, theft, vandalism, animal, hail, flood) - on my 04 330i this coverage costs less than $100 per year. Drop the collision if you want to save money.

#9 ·
If the company that he has didn't have insurance in the first place, why is he even fixing cars? The douche bag gave you a burned up bimmer and thinks its okay? Send that ASS to court. No games dude. Of course legal action could be taken place that was simply irresponsible of the mechanic to have your car in labor and to give it back to you in ashes. aw man, I would of got heated. I'm so sorry for your loss man. That mechanic could just :violent:-Sigh-

#11 ·
If the company that he has didn't have insurance in the first place, why is he even fixing cars?
Most guys fixing cars on the side for cash don't carry business insurance. If they did, they'd have to charge so much they'd price themselves out of existence.

#10 ·
He represented himself as an Independant Mechanic? He took possession of your car, it caught fire and he says, "Oops"?

I would call the Police ASAP, file a report, get a lawyer and pursue legal action. I hope that you received some type paperwork with an estimate for the work, email or voice message pertaining to the car.

#14 ·
Yes, I had insurance rep there already have incident report from fire dept.

Kicking myself for letting guard down on this one. Got distracted with mom's health & Alabama football.......lol..I admit I have an addiction to the TIDE.

Backup car is a mercury cougar......can you say reality check......

#17 ·
Yes, I had insurance rep there already have incident report from fire dept.

Kicking myself for letting guard down on this one. Got distracted with mom's health & Alabama football.......lol..I admit I have an addiction to the TIDE.

Backup car is a mercury cougar......can you say reality check......
:tsk:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.