BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Top View Camera

28K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  X3forlife 
#1 ·
I understand the X3 will have a top view camera. How the hell can they do that?

I don't get it. Can anyone explain? Does a camera take pictures than recreate a simulation or is it some satellite thing? I don't get it.

Has anyone had any experience with one of these?

Thanks.

#10 ·
Sorry. Wasn't commenting on it's usefulness. I've driven for enough years without much of the "necessary" technology in cars these days, but that still doesn't mean the implementation isn't well done. It is. And if you've ever seen the bumpers of cars in a major city, clearly you'd know that some people can use this kind of thing. Just like the rest of us can use those useless seat belts to help us when we are unfortunate enough to encounter those people on the road. :rolleyes:

#9 ·
There are two small cameras mounted on the underside of the outside rearview mirrors. When the mirrors are in the normal position and PDC front is activated, there is a display on the iDrive screen. It is effective at getting your vehicle within the white lines. Not that it should be that hard in the first place.

Honestly, PDC sensors are sufficient for me, and I could even do without those.

#11 ·
Again, thanks.

You are one of the most informed posters. You still never answered my question about Rear Entertainment that I was hoping you would answer under the accessories thread. I saw something that said the Rear users could surf the internet if the Rear Entertainment system was ordered. I doubt they would have that in the US since the RES is a dealer option.

#12 ·
BMW hasn't developed a Rear Entertainment System for the new X3 yet. I don't see it as an option in the Configurator nor in the German Accessory catalogue.

#13 ·
BMW hasn't developed a Rear Entertainment System for the new X3 yet. I don't see it as an option in the Configurator nor in the German Accessory catalogue.
Oh wow...you have the accessory catalog? Is there anything cool in there? I assumed the RES would be in the accessory catalog. I like the one they originally had (that I have) which was in the head rest. It doesn't take up any rear legroom or obstruct your sight.

In the accessories thread I have posted a quote which has BMW talking about internet for rear passengers in cars that have the RES. I assumed the technology would be passed on. Have you seen rear internet for any other type of BMW through the RES?

Maybe they're saving that for 2012...gotta have something new...lol

#14 ·
They missed the boat on this one as a nice screen with a swivel mount could have easily been incorporated into the drop down armrest with a small SSD hard drive to reduce shock and give instant access to hundreds if not thousands of videos.

#18 ·
Does anyone have any knowledge of thoughts on the difference between option 3AG - Rear View Camera and 3AH - Rear View Camera with Top View (which is part of the ZTP Technology Package)

3AG - Rear View Camera is $400 and listed as a separate option and does not indicate it's included in an package options.

So, is it the better/different/same as 3AH - Rear View Camera with Top View?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.