BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BSW Sound Upgrade

6K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  tssalgado 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Has anyone installed the BSW Sound Upgrade? it looks like it could be a great solution for people that did not go with the HK system. http://http://www.bavsound.com/category/174/0/BMW-Speaker-Packages/
Sir,

There are two issues with your post:
1.). The link you posted doesn't work. There are too many "http" and not enough ":". Lol.
Try this one: http://www.bavsound.com/product/709/174/BSW-Stage-I-Audio-Upgrade-for-BMW-X1-10-E84/

2.) If you click that link, you'll notice that the product is still not available. It's shown as "in development."
It does appear that this speaker replacement package is available for other BMW models. But you posted this message to the X1 forum...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#3 ·
Good point on the not available yet. I did not see it. I know many people on here have owned BMW's before the X1 so I was wondering if anyone has used them before.

#5 · (Edited)
0w40:
Do you have the upgraded HK system? I don't want to sound like an expert here but MOST stock car audio systems are NOT of high quality. I believe the only cars that MIGHT have a REAL DECENT car audio system from OEM are the ones who have "Meridian" or "Wilson" electronics in them. I heard that some of the upper end British cars were supposed to or, have even B&W speakers in them. The stock OEM system in my X1 is very "bass" heavy, and to ME does not sound good at all. Focal is making an upgrade kit for our cars and BSW is still developing their kit for the X1. What makes these speakers so good for the X1 is the EASE of installation following their video's and the immediate bump in sound quality over OEM.

Just my .02.

#6 ·
^ Yes, I have the stock OEM system (not the upgrade) which you call bass heavy and is true, and usually takes an amplifier to get that way.

I called it good which means it's the best OEM music system I've ever had.

I thought I had the bass up too high on some trance tunes, but I rechecked and it was still on -5 bass.

If I thought it wAs bad I'd turn bass down to -10.

#7 ·
What we hear from our systems is a two part process, the speakers and the electronics. If you feel the OEM sounds good to you then it doesn't matter what ANYONE says, your hearing is all that counts and matters. A GREAT car stereo to ME should be set flat, maybe a little bump here or there, not much. To ME, what I hear coming thru those speakers is what's important to me. I feel the best speakers one can afford is where good sound starts at. The speakers I had in my 2010 SAAB 9-3 were made by Pioneer for SAAB, they were the biggest pieces of **** I have EVER seen in modern cars of today. I was able to find some old school MB Quart speakers that I replaced those old SAAB speakers with and the difference was night and day.
I'm going to wait a little bit before I swap out the speakers in my X1, but I can definitely see me swapping them out sooner or later.

#8 ·
I know nothing of car stereos. If I'm totally wrong about my next statement, let met know.

I looked under the rear hatch storage compartment yesterday, and I'm pretty sure there was an amp back there. I was busy, so I didn't look at too closely.
But, if that IS an amp, couldn't that be switched out and replaced with a larger one with relative ease? That would seem like the simpler solution than changing out the speakers, which would involve removing the door inserts at minimum.

...Unless it really is the speakers that are holding the system back (assuming you feel like there is a deficiency at all).

#9 ·
I know nothing of car stereos. If I'm totally wrong about my next statement, let met know.

I looked under the rear hatch storage compartment yesterday, and I'm pretty sure there was an amp back there. I was busy, so I didn't look at too closely.
But, if that IS an amp, couldn't that be switched out and replaced with a larger one with relative ease? That would seem like the simpler solution than changing out the speakers, which would involve removing the door inserts at minimum.

...Unless it really is the speakers that are holding the system back (assuming you feel like there is a deficiency at all).

Remember my statement of two parts? If you remove the stock amp, will the new replacement amp be matched to the current OEM speakers? If anything, a better amp is going to allow you to hear how crappy the stock speakers are. The OEM stuff is made to play together, again, whenever I have done anything to my cars, ME, I have always started with the removal of the stock speakers and take it from there. What makes it difficult in our cars is how well made and tight the interiors are put together. Do a You Tube search for Focal speakers for the X1 or just look at the BSW videos, removing panels to these cars are tricky, but CAN be done as long as the proper tools are used.

#12 ·
In the spirit of changing the subject while simultaneously serving my own (more important mind you) selfish desires:

I did approximately 12 seconds of googling about the Focal speaker system and found some people claiming that without a better head unit or amp they won't make a significant difference.

I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to speakers, but I do consider myself a lover of good sounding music (if not an audiophile), so I don't know when to call bull****.

This brings me to my question - are they worth the $700 or so if I listen primarily to HD Radio? Or would they require additional help (head/amp) to really make a difference?

#13 ·
Again, I'll speak about me here and say, YES, I feel that adding speakers of worth other than the OEM speakers is going to get you much better sound. Is it going to be audiophile quality without adding an amp or a processor? Probably not. But I still say, you will be getting better sound than stock. BSW has put out videos of installs and their equipment in most BMW's except for our X1's. Maybe you could ask them? I have had the pleasure of talking with some guys at a shop in Pennsylvania called Mobile Edge. They actually recommend leaving the head unit in place and upgrading the other components. They use high end products from Audison and Hertz. I would reccomend picking their brains, I have. The owners name is Mitch.

#15 ·
I'm so old (61), I remember getting excited when my brother earned $69. to buy a 4 track cassette player for our families 66 Impala station wagon.

That seemed to have incredible sound, and now we can make earthquakes, so my expectations are much lower than yours.

It's good to see people push the limit on things they like, so I should let you have fun improving your car.

I'll stick to threads I know about. :thumbup:

#17 ·
I did the BSW speaker upgrade in my 530Xit, really worth it. Not that difficult to install either. Sound was tighter and bass was cleaner. Am awaiting amp- that is a plug and play change, the current amp rates 10% distortion, the replacement is less than 1%, that will tighten up bass and make car sound nicer.

#25 · (Edited)
I ordered the BSW Stage One today for my X1. Am excited to hear my improved sound system. I will provide a review after it is installed. Found out a couple other interesting tidbits to share. First call in your order and ask for the sound insulation or tool kit be added to your order at no extra cost. I think you might find them agreeable to your request. I also learned that BSW expects to release their Ghost Subwoofer system for the X1 in January.

#26 ·
I ordered the BSW Stage One today for my X1. Am excited to hear my improved sound system. I will provide a review after it is installed. Found out a couple other interesting tidbits to share. First call in your order and ask for the sound insulation or tool kit be added to your order at no extra cost. I think you might find them agreeable to your request. I also learned that BSW expects to release their Ghost Subwoofer system for the X11 in January.
Thanks for the tip, aside from their anniversary sale of 45% off, I've got the $29 off for buying the tool kit and sound insulator...you just need to call to place your order.

#31 · (Edited)
I didn't know about the video. With the paper instructions it was a good chunk long afternoon for the e46. But that included the dampening material which you have to treat with the hairdryer and doesn't go as far as you could.

I also made a trip to the dealer to get a couple plastic pins. Ideally it would be great to have a "runner" that could do that while you do the rest of the work.

Also pro tip: get a whole bunch of different tools to remove the trim. The trip pin removers made from plastic don't go under the trim cleanly. I used various soft material spatulas from the kitchen department. Not every piece of trim is the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.