BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

*** ALL BMW OWNERS *** Look at this - Car Key compromised for THEFT of car !!!

45K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  Jitsu 
#1 · (Edited)
#7 · (Edited)
To all only people with Comfort Acces (Keyless Entry)should watch for this,talked about this with my dealer a few weeks ago i also posted a thread about this.Dealer told me beacause Comfort Acces keys constantly transmitting a signal so someone with bad intentions could pick up the signal just by walking past you with the right equipment and steal youre car LOL:)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631111&highlight=

#9 ·
No in fact it's a Dutch Company who provides the chip that BMW is using in THE keys and they warned BMW about this but due to costs BMW decide to use THE technology anyway.BMW 1 series E60 5 series and 7 series with Keyless Entry can be hacked.Also VW,AUDI and a few Asian Cars also people with a E65/E66 without CA (Keyless Entry) no stress.
This is what several dealers told me.:)

#11 · (Edited)
BMW Customer Services UK have just told me that this security problem (where a key can be programmed using a cheap OBD programmer in seconds) only affects cars built after March 2007 and before September 2012

However, didn't Ace recently reprogram his fob using a cheap ebay programmer for his new C/A retrofit...

We need to know if this is BMW limiting the recall to newer cars (saving themselves money) or if cars made between those times above are truly excluded from this threat...

@TechFreak
I'm talking about the cheap OBD device that can program any key to start your car, not some master key for £6k

Looks like their are two ways of doing this then... :(

#17 ·
THIS IS WHAT THAY ARE USING
http://www.vag-info.com/BMW Group products.htm

IT IS EXPENSES 8000 EURO:mad:
LOOK AT THE VIDEO
If I was nicking BMWs, I'd use the interface in my video..[unless, see below]

It's quicker and doesn't make stupid fruit machine noises, which at 2am might just get you caught lol

I don't what the difference is, but as a computer programmer, I would say the one shown in my post does away with all the 'procedure' and just programmes a blank to the car, whereas the one in your post is more professional and *may* allow many types of cars to be stolen..

I don't know if the programmer in my post works with more than one type of key/car but, whatever the problem, I wish we could get a real answer on whether pre March '07 cars are affected as I just find it hard to believe...

...or perhaps it's just easier to believe BMW would B$ their customers with older vehicles to reduce the recall cost lol..

#22 ·
Hello everybody, just talked to rep from BMW NA. He was saying that to quote him, "the BMW system is unbreakable according to the latest bulletin that we have". .... Yeah... Right :) At the same time he refused to send me a letter to confirm this. Looks like they still have no idea what to do :( Oh, by the way, just joined your board as I bought my 08 750 last week. My other BMW's are 98 328 and 00 M5. Cheers!

#24 ·
Why is everyone shocked? BMW, microsoft, IBM or any company comes out with technology and there will always be a genius somewhere just as smart as the developer to hack or counter the technology. I have always known if the thief wants it bad enough he will get it, by damage, technology etc...... The key is to make your property more of a hassle to steal than the one down the block. Not to mention I am sure all the indys we go to can do it with their knowledge. Just like a locksmith can get in your house if you get locked out.

#26 ·
I rang BMW UK , they told me that even though my car has the FOB and PUSH BUTTON START , it will not be affected because it's not between 2007 and 2011, i have asked for written confirmation of this , they did agree to send me written confirmation but as yet i haven't received it. I will call them again if i don't get it.

#30 ·
If they are working on the letter, they are choosing there verbiage carefully. The truth is that a good hacker (think intelligent criminal not slim-jim holding car thief) can take over anything on your car that is fly-by-wire. (Hows that full electric power steering or electronic throttle body sounding now? :) ). They can backdoor into the ECU in a few different ways, but the most common if the car is in motion is the TPMS sensors via RF. if they can accomplish that while you are sitting in the driver's seat, they can definitely start up the car and drive off when you're not around.

It was said very well in the post a few up, if anyone wants what you have badly enough, they can get it. There will inevitably be a lady/gent looking to hack/break in that possesses equal or greater intelligence/resources than the individual assigned to keeping him/her out. You just want to ensure that your things are more of a pain to get than the person's next to you.

Lets not forget about the speed of technology. We're talking about vehicles which were designed & built one to eight years ago. Think of how far technology has come in that brief period of time. Heck, the iPhone didnt exist in 2007 and "tablet computing" was barely even a phrase in any mainstream sense until 2009/2010. Today, i personally know the parents of at least a dozen three year olds who are more proficient with iPads than many adults.

#27 ·
Hi All

Just like to say thanks to who ever it was who posted the video on how to reprogram your key fob. I have got a 2004 X3 with only one key which didn't work, I was told i would need a new one by the garage i bought the X3 from. Just seen the video and been out to try it and bingo job done.
Cheers all great site.

#35 ·
Mentioned this to the JMK BMW dealer and was told I was the first person to ever mentioned to them. After checking with the service supervisor, I was informed that this did not affect the US cars and was only confine to UK vehicles. Anybody heard or know of anything different?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.