BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Another delay on the 2011 X5. You will not recieving it anytime soon!

66K views 565 replies 101 participants last post by  cvec 
#1 ·
Please see attached below that my dealer emailed me. Due to a seat module the 2011 X5's produced in week 15 and 16 are going to be delayed another approximately 2 weeks until they get the seat module. My car was done as of 2 weeks ago, and is awaiting to be released to the shipper. I have been waiting since December 2009 for my car. I originally ordered a 2010 4.8i and the production of that car did not even begin until the end of March, last month. I would not have recieved it until maybe now or in a couple of weeks. Therefore, I cancelled it ordered the 2011 50i X5 thinking I would get it only about a few weeks later. Now this stupid campaign. I turned in my leased Audi Q7 6 weeks ago, and have been borrowing a small car awaiting for my X5. Now a longer wait. I am sooo disappointed in BMW. And all of these other models, ie 1, 3 series, etc cars are being held up for a dumb seat module also. Amazing!

Attachments

#42 ·
I'm headed out there now to take care of some details. However, I do not expect that they are lying or jerking me around. Could be but I doubt it. This is the second car I have bought from the same guy. Not sure he has a reason to jerk me around. I was not expecting the car for another couple of weeks anyway.

#44 ·
OK to add all the information and be clear, what they said is "it's on the truck and we believe it will be here tomorrow. You can come out and get it". Turns out that for whatever reason, the car did not get there. Went to the dealer today and saw the pertinent details in the system. I'll have it on Monday.

#45 · (Edited)
Misinformation from BMW

I am continually entertained by the misinformation being provided by BMW. I ordered my 2011 BMW X5 35i premium mid March and was told that it would be available late April to early May. Based on what I am reading and that my vehicle is still in the "on order" phase on the BMW USA website I don't expect to see it until June. I have a friend who ordered hers at the begining of March and was told it was "in transit" three weeks ago only to find out that it wasn't. She has heard a bevy of reasons so far and has no firm date about delivery.

I was told this morning that I should extend the lease on my Volvo XC90 for a month (Volvo won't extend at all). I will take that as an indication that we will not be seeing the X5 for at least that long. I was told that the car's engine is awaiting EPA approval. I am not sure how that is given the fact that it hasn't been built yet and that the approvals happend on April 26. I would be much happier being told the truth. It's pretty simple. Dear Buyer, we are having serious production issues and have no idea at this point when we can get you the car. At least then I can make an informed decision.

#46 ·
I am continually entertained by the misinformation being provided by BMW. I ordered my 2011 BMW X5 3.5 premium mid March and was told that it would be available late April to early May. Based on what I am reading and that my vehicle is still in the "on order" phase on the BMW USA website I don't expect to see it until June. I have a friend who ordered hers at the begining of March and was told it was "in transit" three weeks ago only to find out that it wasn't. She has heard a bevy of reasons so far and has no firm date about delivery.

I was told this morning that I should extend the lease on my Volvo XC90 for a month (Volvo won't extend at all). I will take that as an indication that we will not be seeing the X5 for at least that long. I was told that the car's engine is awaiting EPA approval. I am not sure how that is given the fact that it hasn't been built yet and that the approvals happend on April 26. I would be much happier being told the truth. It's pretty simple. Dear Buyer, we are having serious production issues and have no idea at this point when we can get you the car. At least then I can make an informed decision.
You ordered a 35Diesel? That is not yet CARB certified. The 4/26 listing is for the 30 gas motor.

(They don't approve YOUR motor- they approve a model for the entire year. so your motor can get built before or after the approval comes...)

I agree the truth is nice, but as an organization they are pretty incompetent- they are simply clueless, combined with the typical salesman tendency to make stuff up.

#50 ·
Well, my car has been done for 3 weeks as of today, and has just been sitting waiting for the seat module! 3 weeks! And no one at BMW can tell me when the seat module will be in and my car will be done. On this site and xoutpost I have seen pictures of other 2011 X5's that were produced 2 weeks after mine, and the owners already have their cars! This is beyond unbelievable, and beyond ridiculous already. I have been waiting since December and have had delays on my original order for a 2010, and now this one. What an absolute joke! I am soooo pissed, and I am not able to do a damn thing! I know, I can buy another car, but this is the car I want. Just venting, sorry.

#52 · (Edited)
What would your dealer say if you were to say, cancel your order, and go to a different BMW dealer and re-order your car, same spec.

I'm surprised to hear that your car was not "repaired" before the end of April. Normally, a car manufacturer will want to clear as many cars on wheels as he can to up his sales figures out the gate, and thus improve even further, the April sales figures. Sounds to me like there is another problem. What spec did you order ? if it was just the seats, they are repalced real quick. If the seat module is in fact buried inside the IP panel, and they have to take all that out, you could be lucky to see it by June, and to be honest, if it were my car, I wouldn't want that one anymore because there will be so much potential for Squeak and Rattles, it will really p#@s you off over the years.
See if you can get your dealer to upgrade you on and engine, and switch your order for free, or take a look at his stock cars. Don't just take it lying down. They owe you for making you wait six months.
Here, when your dealer promises you something he delivers. I have no compliants on my car.

Sorry to hear of your experience !!! hope it gets rectified soon.

#51 ·
I called the Production number today, and was told my 2011 X5 35d was scheduled for production on May 10th! But then I got this email from the PCD:

Thank you for submitting your recent Performance Center Delivery reservation for Phillip Tiongson. Unfortunately, this production number (4784221) is a new production model year and we cannot offer a delivery date at this time. Please inform your customer that we will contact you with a delivery date once the vehicle is produced, the EPA and CARB approvals have been received and an ETA has been assigned. We will do everything we can to deliver the vehicle at the earliest possible date and give your client the experience that he/she is looking forward to. Should the client wish to cancel you will need to submit a cancellation form which can be found on CENTERNET.

Thank you for your patience!
SO it does look like the 35ds are being produced, but held up until CARB approval... Arrgh!

#54 ·
Marlbro, With all due respect I do not think you quite understand. I orinally attached a notice for a seat campaign from BMW. Multiple vehicles were involved in weeks 15 and 16 production. I was told by my dealer that these cars are awaiting a seat module. Nothing is being repaired, the car is being built. It has been done for over 3 weeks. BMW will not tell me when my car will be completed. Maybe the supplier had a problem who makes the seat module I dont know, but BMW should be more honest and up front about it. If I cancel and start over then I will have to wait even longer, so that is just not smart.

If you read some of my past posts you would understand my frustration with BMW, not my dealer. It is not the dealers fault, and they have no control either. They want to sell a car remember. I did file a complaint and opened a case, and have requested compensation. My dealer spoke to me about the complaint with BMW, and is pushing for me to get compensation, as they are with me. I have not heard back from BMW on the complaint yet either.

Arjuno, I agree with you, it sooo fxxxed up. The wait is the worst, not knowing when the car will be done, not given a time, NOTHING from BMW. And if I go cancel my order and get another car, that I did not pick in the first place, as soon as I see an X5 50i on the road I will be pissed.

#63 ·
I orinally attached a notice for a seat campaign from BMW. Multiple vehicles were involved in weeks 15 and 16 production. I was told by my dealer that these cars are awaiting a seat module. Nothing is being repaired, the car is being built.
BMW should be more honest and up front about it.

If you read some of my past posts you would understand my frustration with BMW, not my dealer. It is not the dealers fault, and they have no control either.

I have not heard back from BMW on the complaint yet either.

Arjuno, I agree with you, it sooo fxxxed up. The wait is the worst, not knowing when the car will be done, not given a time, NOTHING from BMW. And if I go cancel my order and get another car, that I did not pick in the first place, as soon as I see an X5 50i on the road I will be pissed.
When I said "repaired" this is the term all OEMs use once the vehicle has been down the build line, and taken off line, waiting on parts (seat module) they then take the vehicles to the "repair line" to build in the missing parts.
They all do it, believe me, I know what I'm talking about. I work for a major OEM.
We currently have 50 cars sat to one side without engines, they have been there for two weeks now.

Sounds Awful to me that BMW are prioritising putting modules to the new 5 series instead of finishing building your car..:thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

When I said buy another car, I meant another X5, just not "that one" I'm reading here of other guys that are only waiting a month.
I really feel for you being messed about by BMW like that.:dunno:
I hope it all gets sorted soon, so you can enjoy X5 ownership like the rest of us.

I read a post on here about a guy who flew out of state to pick up his 5,0 and how good it was as he drove home.
I personally look for an excuse to take it out of the gararge, just so I can drive it.
I'm voluntaring to pop down the store for the wife, or run the kids to their friends house, just so I can drive it.
:):)

#56 ·
It's not just your car, either - my X5 35d was ordered in March, and completed production May 1st. It's May 9th, and the vehicle is still sitting at the VPC. It is being 'held up', but no one can tell me why. All I know is I'm renting an SUV by the week from Avis and not real happy about it. My CA checks for me every day, and doesn't know what happening. Currently is shows that it has been released to a carrier for transportation, but it never leaves.

Has anyone actually taken delivery of an X5 35d? Or are just the gasoline models making it out of the VPC? Just curious...

#57 ·
It's not just your car, either - my X5 35d was ordered in March, and completed production May 1st. It's May 9th, and the vehicle is still sitting at the VPC. It is being 'held up', but no one can tell me why. All I know is I'm renting an SUV by the week from Avis and not real happy about it. My CA checks for me every day, and doesn't know what happening. Currently is shows that it has been released to a carrier for transportation, but it never leaves.

Has anyone actually taken delivery of an X5 35d? Or are just the gasoline models making it out of the VPC? Just curious...
Is it possible that the 2011 35d's haven't receive CARB approval yet?

#61 ·
So why are BMW taking orders for cars that they can not sell, as they are not yet homologated ?????
I'd be surprised if they are even building them, as that would mean they would have to stock pile them.

#66 ·
BMW wont ship any car until the CA approval is obtained, as I understand it.

Since all cars are labeled as being "50 state compliant" they need to have CA approval even if it is sold in MA, NY, SC, etc.

#64 ·
All this delay stuff is hard to take.
Ordered my 35d back on February 22 and here we are, May 10 and no idea when I'll see my new vehicle.
My car has been built for weeks now. I live an hour from the PC/plant and was planning to do the PC delivery but can't schedule anything until CARB approval and that could add a few weeks to the final delivery so I've been advised to go ahead and take "dealer delivery" which will be quicker. I can't express how much I was looking forward to PC delivery since I liver so close to the factory.
I've been driving BMW's since 1979 but always picked from dealer stock. This was my first "factory order" and most likely my last.

#67 ·
didn't they offer you the BMW 101 experience for free instead of the PCD? i have been waiting on a 35d since march as well and since the CARB approvals have not hit, they also couldn't schedule a PCD so they offered dealer delivery instead which i took. but they still are allowing me to get the same PCD experience for free with the only change being i don't get my car at the end (so i have to do a round trip airfare instead of one way), but at least i was able to schedule it (they call it a BMW 101 experience). my 101 is on thursday of this week, and this way as soon as CARB happens, my car will come to my dealer for delivery. this seemed the best of both options...

lammy

#65 ·
I think all you guys have chosen a car that seems to be so much in demand at the moment. everyone wants one. Order books here are full til the end of the year, that's why I took this ex demo 2009.
It's got options on I would not normally of ticked, but I wanted a car now.
It's black inside, I would have chosen beige with light wood.
But you know, it's growing on me, it looks good, and teh glass Panaramic sunroof is nice too !

#69 ·
Marlbro, sorry, I guess I misunderstood the "repair" term. I am currently looking for an in stock X5 50i, but I need one with a 3rd row seat. It is very difficult to find one that way, and with decent colors and options. I found one in southern california, but it is 3500.00 more than my car, and has black interior. My wife refuses black interior, does not like it, and it gets very hot where we live, 105+ for 4 months straight in summer. We feel that we have waited this long, we do not want to settle. We want what we ordered, and when you are getting a 71,000+ dollar vehicle, we are not going to settle for a color that we are not happy with, or options missing that we wanted. I am sure once we get the damn thing we will love it, but until then, we are beyond mad at this whole situation. It will be about 6 1/2 months of waiting for our car, that is if it is done by the end of the month, as we are now being told. At this point I cannot believe any promised dates from BMW though.

#72 ·
Hi folks,

New to the forum, but I thought I'd pass on some information I got from my dealer.

Basically, I ordered an X5 35d in March (basically I ordered it on the first day you could order a 2011 model). About 3 weeks ago, it entered the "at the production center stage". About a week ago, I called my dealer to find out what's going on and he gave me the "CARB and EPA need to approve it" line.

Then, last Friday (5/7), my rep at the dealer called and told me "it's on a truck" and I should have it in 7-10 days.

Oh, and I live in California.

So.. until it actually shows up, I don't know what the exact story is, but that's what I've been told so far. I'm curious to know if anyone else has gotten that message.

Counting down the days :)

#76 ·
Then, last Friday (5/7), my rep at the dealer called and told me "it's on a truck" and I should have it in 7-10 days.

Oh, and I live in California.
1. I think the dealer is lying. It cannot be 'on a truck' and still take "7-10 days" if you live in California....

2. Cars go from Spartanburg, CA to the Oxnard VPC in southern CA via train- this is all "within BMW" transport. This is considered "still in BMW control" and these cars do not need CARB certs.

3. Once it is released from Oxnard VPC it is considered "in the dealers hands". it must be CARB/Certed... It is put on a truck to the dealership. It takes 2-3 days MAX anywhere in California!

4. As the dealer to page print the "Dealerspeed.net" status page showing your car "released to carrier" as "green".

Then I'd believe it.

A

#73 ·
I spoke to my CA, who did some digging and in fact confirmed there is in fact an EPA issue.

I'm equally as frustrated as the rest of you, so I did a lot of homework, and eventually got in touch with someone at BMW's executive offices, NOT the useless idiots at BMW's toll free customer service number. She is looking into this for me, and promised me a call tomorrow with actual, real information - which of course, I will post the very minute I get it!

Part of me wants to go buy an X5 5.0 or whatever the gas one is. I will regret it, though, once everyone else is driving there 35d's and I'm dumping gas into my gasoline X5!

#81 ·
several of us on this forum and on xoutpost.com have spoken to bill at carb, who 'sits next to the guy' doing the approval for the X5's. bill's standard line is that he can not release any info related to this , but he is very nice about it. he has been saying this since i spoke to him mid april.

the good news is that since then the X5's have been passing certification one at a time. first was the M, then the 50i, then the 35i and next has to be the 35d, so fingers crossed that they will have the approval hopefully this week so i can get my 35d that has been ready since 4/20 (i know... how awesome is it that my diesel completed production on 4/20. how fitting.. LOL )

Lammy

#85 ·
Okay, okay, just teasing you guys. I was actually told that they expect CARB certification by tomorrow, and that cars would likely start shipping Thursday. This could be off by a day, but that's the official 'unofficial' word.

On a lighter note, I drove a 2011 X5 5.0i today and good lord was it F A S T. I mean downright frightening when the boost is up. There was ONE available the way I wanted (every single option except active drive and heads up display is now I equipped my 35d), EXCEPT that it had a beige leather interior. That was a deal breaker. But it was in NH, and I could have had it TODAY. My CA was going to drive me up in a 2010 X5 M (which he offered to sell me more than once at a substantial discount - tempting!) and get it with me.

In the end, though, it would have been a compromise. I had to remember why I (and so many of you) ordered one in the first place - $4500 Eco Credit, fantastic fuel economy, tons of useable torque and an unbeatable resale value. I think the X5 50i would have just landed me in a lot of trouble, and used LOTS of fuel doing it.

So, I shall wait with the rest of my oil burning friends :)

Don't you just wish we could all meet up in SC at the impound lot and get our cars together? That would be fun...

#86 ·
I was actually told that they expect CARB certification by tomorrow, and that cars would likely start shipping Thursday .
Since that's coming from BMW NA...I'll believe it when I see it.

.... My CA was going to drive me up in a 2010 X5 M (which he offered to sell me more than once at a substantial discount - tempting!) .....
how substantial?

#87 ·
Yeah, I know, I know. But this was a person that is involved in the certification, and I told this person it would be okay if it were three weeks, just let me know and I will stop asking - the answer was still the same. So, I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt. But we'll see!

On the X5 M, he offered me $75k, but I honestly think he would go to $70k. That's just my gut feeling. It is that beautiful bright M car blue, a sparkling metallic, and still had the sticker in the window. But it had an Oyster leather interior, too light for me with my 9 year old daughter and her best friend (who is with us constantly). But it was very tempting...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.