BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

iPhone and the Z4 (bluetooth & audio question)

44K views 42 replies 28 participants last post by  Triaker 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a 2005 Z4 that has BMW Assist. I believe it has bluetooth as well since the steering wheel controls are there and the radio responds. However, I can't seem to pair my iPhone with it, something I was able to do with my previous two Bimmers ('01 325i and '06 330i). The instruction booklet is just confusing as can be. Am I missing something?

Also, I don't have the iPod adapter and from what I can tell, it wouldn't work properly with the iPhone anyway. Are there other options available to me so I can listen to my podcasts? My previous car had an aux input jack.

#2 ·
My iPhone paired without a problem by using the manual.

As far as ipod integration. I have the Nav in my Z4MC and I installed the Intravee II ipod adapter. I love it!

#5 ·
Yeah you need the BlueTooth Pairing Code (should be a separate, glossy card with the owners' manual) that you should be entering when your phone prompts you for it. Also, one important thing to note about using the iPhone with the BMW BlueTooth is that the iPhone bluetooth volume works separately from the BMW bluetooth volume. Typically, after pairing your phone the first time, you'd make a phone call, turn the volume up on your iPhone to max (which sticks from then on) and then adjust the BMW bluetooth volume as needed. (Otherwise, if you leave the iPhone bluetooth volume at default, you'll be hard pressed to hear the person on the other end)

#6 ·
If you can't find the white card, try to find the bluetooth module itself. It will have the 4 digit paring code on a sticker on the outside. This is how I got it for my X3. I think the module is near the battery. IIRC, the four digit code was next to the letters PC.

#7 ·
You can add an Aux input to your radio. Search this forum.

#11 ·
I am using an iPhone 3G and had no problems pairing the phone to the car. Once you have the code for the car and the phone tells you to enter the code, you are good to go. Works great and have not had any problems with it.

#14 ·
Negatory.

I need to try my 3GS with Bluetooth, I'm hoping it might work better. My 3G was awful, I couldn't hear incoming calls (despite having the volume all the way up on the phone) and I couldn't be heard on the other side. And this was with a coupe. Sheesh.

#25 ·
I'm wondering how many times he has disassembled and reassembled it? From the looks of all the articles, at least once a year! Course he's so good at it, it probably takes him the same time to do it that it takes me to just to clean those dang wheels.

#17 ·
I have a the same problem please let me know if your able to find a solution. I just tried to pair my phone on a 2004 Z4 this morning but my Iphone does not find the car. I have the card with the blue tooth but the car never shows up. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#20 ·
BMW puts the Bluetooth buttons in all Z4s, Bluetooth equipped or not, so button does not necessarily equal Bluetooth unfortunately. The car will only be in pairing mode for the first 60-90 seconds after it is turned on, so:
Put your key in the ignition
Have your code ready
Get your phone ready to pair
Then turn the vehicle on and have your phone look for available Bluetooth

Took me two tries to have it pair correctly, but works like a charm after that.

#22 ·
Hi,

I hope someone here can shed some light on this issue for me to. :)

I have recently got a 2007 Z4M Roadster and have had no joy getting the car to show up on BT on my iPhone 3GS. We have an E92 2007 330 and that set up with no issues at all.

I've found the manual useless (the button above the storage compartment? huh?) and some of the info on the web differing. (hold talk button on steering wheel, no wait hold the button in console between the seats, erm have ignition set to 1, erm do a rain dance etc)

I'm at the stage where I might go to a dealer but really don't want to as I should be able to do this my self.

The Z4M has sat nav.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

T1b

#26 ·
Real simple:

Have Bluetooth screen on phone showing.

Press talk (face) button on steering wheel

Car will find your phone

Plug in code from card in your manual packet

Hit pair on phone

Wait a minute for the car and phone to connect. Phone list will also download.

Scroll to phone number on radio or nav screen

Press talk to call!

#28 ·
I have a Z 4, 2006 and the I phone, and after much frustration in obtaining the 4 digit code I let the dealership do it for me. The mechanic came out and looked all over the car but no visible no's he also said the earlier models each one had its own code no. the later models ones, you make up your own code. He took it into the shop and hooked it up to something and nthree minuets later came back with all functioning.He also gave me a print out with the code no on it. I never had the card with the no. just a helpfull mechanic. Some dealership want as much as $70 to pair the two. Now that it works it sure is nice.
Arnie

#29 ·
Question... I have a Z4 2005 2.5 sport
Are all US 2005 and up Bluetooth enabled? My phone finds the car and asks me to put the pin in but tells me the PK is incorrect..

Canadian dealer told me that the 2005 cars are not equipped..

I heard the PK is in the trunk but I would hate to tear it up myself and it seems that the dealer does not want to either...

#30 ·
'04 z4

I would also like to use my phone's bluetooth with my Z4 and this is what I found. My car is bluetooth enabled (TCU in trunk and BMW assist button between seats,) however, it does not have a preset PK, I used 0000. I have android phones and the steering wheel controls do not work with my phone. I can make/answer a phone call (with the phone) while bluetooth is enabled and I can hear the other party, but they cannot hear me. I know the car's microphone works because I've used it to call BMW Assist. I have not spoken to a dealer about this, but from reading other threads, I believe the TCU in the trunk needs to be upgraded with a newer unit. Anyway, I'll live without it for now.

#31 ·
No PK Code and No Owners Manual

I recently bought an 08 Z4MC from a dealer who managed to lose the Owners Manaual while prepping the car for me. I think I can find the PK for the bluetooth pairing from the helpful instructions posted on this thread. The probelm I'm having is getting the pairing process started. I navigate to Phone but there is no activation or pairing option that I can find. When I hold down the phone button on the steering wheel and try to say things like "New Phone" or "phone Activation" or "Pair Phone" the cars says "There are no phone numbers in the address book" (I'm paraphrasing) Can anyone help me get the process started?

#32 ·
Z4 Bluetooth Pairing

Hey guys,

New to this forum and have recently purchased a 2007 Z4M with Bluetooth and Satnav. I encountered the same mindboggling issues with the pairing and tried the many solutions offered on this thread - all to no avail.

Recently took the car into BMW for its Inspection 2 (expensive!) and asked them to take a look at it - and they fixed it!

They plugged the car into their computer reader and deleted all previous phones that were paired to the car. It appears that the car Bluetooth memory buffer fills up and will not accept a new phone unless it is cleared. However, when I picked the car up it still would not pair - not sure why this happened but they took my phone (iphone 4s) next door to the garage and hooked the car up to computer and paired it with no problems.

Now I have it working - if someone could tell me how to add phone numbers to the speed dial it would be very much appreciated!

Chris

#35 ·
get rid of that fisher-price "my first smart phone' trash iphone and get an adult phone... problem solved.

seriously,

the bluetooth pair code should be in your owners manual. ensure that the phone module is in the trunk. (behind the carpet on the drivers side).

#36 ·
I no nothing digging up the carpet in the trunk to find my pass key...do I need to back to the dealership (100 miles away) to have them do this? if I do, and they give me pass key, will I still be able to use the music on my iphone! it seems to recognize my phone...it will ask me for the pass key. totally in the dark about this one guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.