BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Acclerator Pedal smoothness

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  GoHawks63 
#1 ·
We've had our 2011 CPO X5 Premium for about two months now. Generally I'm pretty impressed with the car. This is our first X5, actually it's our first BMW ever.

Most of the things that we are adjusting to are just design differences like putting the power door lock button on the center of the dash as opposed to on the door like God intended. :p

I am impressed with the performance and ride. I forget I'm driving an SUV.

One thing though on the driveability that has annoyed my wife and me. The accelerator "tip-in" which is probably associated with the spring in the pedal. We noticed it on the test drive and we figured we would eventually get used to how we would put our foot on the accelerator and start off smoothly. After two months it still feels like we have to pay too much attention when pulling away from a light to prevent everyone from feeling like we're doing jack rabbit starts.

Is this a BMW thing? An X5 thing? or is there maybe something up with our vehicle.

We have owned many cars over the years. Actually between my wife and I, about 15 over the last 24 years so it's not like I haven't driven my share of cars.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
The non-linear throttle response does occur on many BMW models... I believe it is due to programming of this feature in car's ECU, since similar things have been fixed on other models (such as new 5-series) with a software updates. If it bothers you much - maybe try complaining to a dealer, ask him to check if the car's ECU software is the latest version, it may need an update which may (or may not) change the throttle response...

#8 ·
I think the current X5 is pretty good in that regard, especially compared with the first-gen throttle drive by wire models. I had two of those, an E46 330i and an E53 X5 3.0i. Throttle tip-in was really touchy on those, almost as if the sensor would go sleep and take a second to wake up, and god help you if you weren't easing gently into the throttle while waiting for it to wake up.

Anyway, the X5 starts off in 2nd gear in normal mode, so I find the current throttle tip-in to be pretty gentle. Or maybe I'm just used to being really measured with that first 1/2" of throttle travel now.

#10 ·
Many threads on this. X5 with turbo 6 and 8 spd trans has hesitation upon initial acceleration. Trade it in for a diesel if you want immediate response

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.