BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

MY14 X3, Production starts April 2013

78K views 546 replies 74 participants last post by  CKelley3 
#1 ·
Just read the posting from "Ask a Dealer", production for the MY14 X3 will begin April 13th and run through March 2014. Timing is perfect for my timeline as we were planning delivery early to mid June for my wife's order. I will be curious to see what changes are going to be rolled into the start of production.

#261 ·
Congrats Pharding - looking forward to seeing some pics!

For my vehicle, I used the BMWConfig which computes the invoice. It looks like I'm currently getting a price that is $1K above invoice, so perhaps I should try to do a little better. As for trade-ins - does anyone have much experience? It looks like they may give me the Galves value - should I be okay with that?

#265 ·
Pharding must be out having to much fun driving! :drive:

Cant wait to hear the details of the 2014. Still amazes me we are getting the details from the person who got theirs first and not BMW.

I have kept the second monitor on my desk at work to Bimmerfest in anticipation of the details :typing:

#266 ·
I received a call at 12:15 MT ('bout an hour and half ago) from my CA who gave me an update on the "iDrive & Nav, iDrive & Nav, what version of iDrive & Nav does it have" soap opera based on an actual X3 that hit the pavement...

But out of respect for pharding, I am going to hold off until after he reports back in.

#267 ·
Pharding must have gotten lost on his way back from the dealership ! :eeps:

#268 · (Edited)
I took delivery of our 2014 X3. The new updated iDrive, new Nav, and new HUD is there as we had all hoped. It is a major plus for the 2014 X3.

The car is beautiful. It is black on black with wave wood trim. The premium audio system sounds great. The Technology Package is very cool. The X3 drives great with the wonderful BMW driving dynamics. For an extra $2,000 I probably should have gotten the 3.5 engine for additional quickness, however like many purchases you have to draw the line somewhere. The car arrived so quickly that the code enabling the Nav system won't arrive until Monday or Tuesday. That is a bit annoying. All in all the 2014 X3 is spectacular and I am quite happy with it.

#274 ·
I have the same information as pharding from my CA. He was looking on the BMW order system for a '14 X3 delivery. He located on in Kentucky that rolled off the truck this morning. He called them up and got them to go inspect the car on their lot and confirm that the car had the new Nav and iDrive (I did not care about HUD, so I did not ask about that). My CA called me at 12:15pm MT today to tell me what he had learned from the dealer in Kentucky. I now need to add a bottle of fine old whiskey to the order :)

Confirmation on an actual built car via another channel, as pharding learned, that the '14 X3 does have the new iDrive & Nav (faster CPU, more memory, higher resolution display) as of start of production.

I have now re-submited my MY14 order. In fact the order sheet from my CA just hit my inbox for my final review.

pharding, bsavage and all - thank you very much for your diligent pusuit of this issue!

I hope to have an build slot soon and to take delivery in time for my wife's bday at the end of the month!

#278 ·
From an MSRP point of view the 35i is $5,100 more but it includes the lighting package ($900) and the premium package is $1000 cheaper. It also includes one of the trim options so that saves $500. So $5100 - $2400 leaves $2,700 difference on MSRP.

#279 ·
More driving impressions after driving it for 15 miles this evening. The 2014 X3 drives great. I will undoubtedly drive it in Sport Mode and wifey already decided that it is Eco Pro for her. In Sport Mode it is peppy, but the gas mileage suffers. It's her ride and I will occasionally drive it on weekends, unless I need to haul something like one of my bikes. The design and engineering of the 2014 X3 is amazing. I cannot believe how well BMW did with the X3. The cabin dimensions for the front seats and rear seats are heavenly. BMW has the dimensions dialed into perfection for a small SUV. The iDrive is spectacular. Beautiful graphics, evolutionary improved user interfaces, much quicker at everything, higher resolution. Premium sound and the xenon headlights are well worth the additional cost. The sun roof is gigantic and very cool. Wifey is extremely happy with the X3. In hindsight I should have dropped HUD and TopView and gotten the larger engine for a delta of about $1050. All things considered both wifey and I are quite happy with the 2014 X3. Having owned a number of BMW's including an LCI M-Sport E60 550i, the 2014 X3 is about 95% of an LCI so it is a fine value. The iDrive, Nav, and other minor improvements are substantial enhancements to a class leading luxury, sporty, small SUV.

What I didn't like was my experience with BMW Customer Relations. 3 times after I placed the order I called asking them to look into whether the 2014 was getting the upgraded iDrive, Nav, and HUD. I just got a bunch of obfuscation. They were not the least bit responsive or pro-active. I might as well have been talking to a call center in India. No offense to Indians. I am going to write BMW NA and complain. BMW Customer Relations was totally worthless and they certainly made a confusing, frustrating situation, worse. This was not the type of experience that one would expect in purchasing a $52,000 German car and is opposite of the great service and support that BMW typically provides for its valued clients. My other issue is that the build quality of this US built BMW is clearly inferior to my past 6 German built new BMW's. I understand manufacturing tolerances and specifications and that with all of these pieces that perfection does not exist. However, puckered, overly wavy, rippled leather seams on the top of both front seats is clearly out of specification for BMW. The perforated mesh speaker grille on the top of the driver's door should not be rippled and lumpy. These are things that I noticed when I was not even looking for manufacturing flaws. The vast majority of the fit and finish was quite well done and beautiful. BMW has been working hard at creating visually rich, well detailed interiors striving to match the impeccable fit and finish of Audi's. BMW has made great progress. However my US built X3 falls short of what one would expect of a premium German vehicle. I may send photographs to BMW NA and wait for their response.

All things considered I highly recommend the 2014 BMW X3. I will post photographs tomorrow.

#285 ·
Congrats on the new X3!!

I am really sorry that yours has some build quality issues. The 3-4 2013 X3s that I drove or examined on the dealer's lot did not have any of the issues you mention, so I don't think it is a Spartenburg/Germany thing, but more likely an issue with your particular car. I hope that Spartenburg quality has not turned downhill here in April 2013.

My 2005 X3 E83 built in Graz, Austria, and I did not notice any defects in that one.

Since I live in the Colorado mountains where it is always dusty and drive at elevations between 6000-10000 feet (driving below 6000 ft is an exception), I opted for not perpetually cleaning the HUD display and the extra boost of the 35i. But I fully undestand the agony of "option trade-offs".

When I learned that the non-included-with Nav (609) Enhanced Bluetooth (6NS) was also included in the price of 609 ($2150 MSRP), I put the money toward better sound and got the Premium Hi-Fi (677) with the money I "saved" on the 6NS.

Enjoy your new ride!!! I am hoping mine will be here by the end of April in time for my wife's birthday!

#280 ·
Sorry to hear of the disappointment in your delivery. I too am quite upset about BMW's response to getting information out about the car. I also found it quite frustrating when I called customer relations and kept being told that they handled "after the sale issues" while I had to go to the dealership for other issues.

I hope I do not find the same quality issues as you. My 6 year old 335 still has the quality, perfection, fit, and finish as a new car.... hope this one lives up to the standards.

#281 ·
Thanks so much for clarifying some of these MY14 questions that I have had for a while! One other thing I am looking for clarity on is package code 6NS - Enhanced USB and Bluetooth integration. According to BMW Config (US Spec), this is a separate option ($500 US MSRP). I thought I read somewhere that this is now part of the Tech Package and that the tech package MSRP is now different from what is showing up on BMW Config (currently $3,000 US).

Does anyone know?

thanks!
Ron

#286 ·
Thanks so much for clarifying some of these MY14 questions that I have had for a while! One other thing I am looking for clarity on is package code 6NS - Enhanced USB and Bluetooth integration. According to BMW Config (US Spec), this is a separate option ($500 US MSRP). I thought I read somewhere that this is now part of the Tech Package and that the tech package MSRP is now different from what is showing up on BMW Config (currently $3,000 US).

Does anyone know?

thanks!
Ron
This is another area where there has been confusion.

First, the price list inthe thread Complete Model Year 2014 Pricing Info Here Now! is not up-to-date. There were changes in March. That did the following:

Tech Package (ZTP) $3150 includes:
  • 609 Navigation System
    • 6AK BMW Online
    • 6AM Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information (ARTTI)
    • 6AP Remote Services
    • 6NR BMW Apps
    • 6NS Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration
  • 610 Head-up Display
Navigation System (609) $2150. Choosing 609 automatically adds the following options to the order at no additional charge:
  • 6AK BMW Online
  • 6AM Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information (ARTTI)
  • 6AP Remote Services
  • 6NR BMW Apps
  • 6NS Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration
For awhile (between about 6 Mar and the beginning of April), the automatic of 6NS added $500 to the order when included with Nav (609), but nothing when automatically included as part of the Tech Package (ZTP).

I asked my dealer to check if that was a pricing mistake because BMW was forcing me to get the 6NS and essentially increasing the cost of the Nav from $2150 to $2650. If they are going to force features on em, I said, then they ought to call it a Navigation Package. When I re-ordered by MY14 X3 on Friday (4/5/13), the cost of 6NS when combined with Nav was $0.

So as of now, the sole difference between the Nav System (609) @ $2150 MSRP and Tech Pkg (ZTP) @ $3150 MSRP is the HUD (610).

There is the possibility that even though my sales guy told me BMWNA made a mistake in the pricing, they are just tossing in 6NS at no charge just for me because I complained. I have not seen all this on an official BMWNA price list yet. Just what I am getting on my deal for my car this week.

Last year (2013) Option 609 was just the Nav without the added options and was $2150. Each of those other sub-options were priced extra. More value in the 2014 bundling.

Get your saleperson to show you the current price list and option bundling rules. These can and will change throughout the year.

#284 ·
#288 ·
Liverman, you are partially right as far as I know. When I ordered my NAV, it was still $2000. My dealer told me that 6NR BMW Apps 6NS Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration were automatically included for free due to BMW pricing mistakes.
I am not sure about the other 3 items
6AK BMW Online
6AM Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information (ARTTI)
6AP Remote Services
Def hope you are right about the whole thing!!! :) still waiting for my car

#307 ·
My sources:

The price list posted in this forum shows:

609 Navigation system $2,000 $2,000​
Included in package​
ZTP ZTP

609 cannot be ordered with ZTP​
x x

609 will add 6AK, 6AM, 6AP and 6NR to the order

What was new in March is that 6NS was ALSO added to the order.

I saw the March price list and the price of 609 had gone to $2150.

#289 ·
Auto Hold still available with Auto Start Stop

I ordered a '14 X3 35i M Sport. can't recall if Auto Hold is still available when the vehicle has the Auto Start stop feature. anyone know if Auto hold is still on vehicle?

#291 · (Edited)
I ordered a '14 X3 35i M Sport. can't recall if Auto Hold is still available when the vehicle has the Auto Start stop feature. anyone know if Auto hold is still on vehicle?
Yes, it is.

Auto Stop/Start works quite well. It is even more refined in the 2014 X3 compared to other 2013 BMW models. I do not understand the criticism that some have expressed about it. It is rather seamless.

#290 ·
It was overcast for most of the day so I didn't take photographs.

I read the manual and I dialed in the settings. I spent a couple of hours trying to export my profile from my 550i and import them into the X3 via a USB thumb drive. After multiple attempts using different file formats without success I just prepared the profiles manually. Using the Apple USB lightening cable I easily played music from my iPhone 5 on the X3. Album art transferred flawlessly. The music sounded great on the optional Premium Hi-Fi Audio System. The menus in the new iDrive use the same logic as prior iterations. They have been enhanced and the default cursor position on each screen is incredibly well thought out and logical. I drove the X3 for a few errands. Sport mode is fun, however it kills the fuel economy. Eco Pro is really impressive in terms of optimizing gas mileage, but not much fun.

When I retire, hopefully not for another 20 years, and we downsize to one car, the X3 would be perfect. The X3 is an incredible blend of performance, utility, design, and engineering. My 550i is a fine car with many fine qualities. In comparison, the X3 does many things really well and is a great value. IMO it is the best value proposition in the BMW line up and is peerless in its class of small to midsize SUV's. The 2014 X3 is extremely impressive and exceeded my high expectations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.