BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Former Coding thread - Closed

734K views 3K replies 702 participants last post by  Almaretto 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#6 ·
Try to pick only one cafd which has a little green icon on left, right click on it and see what options you get. If you have installed the psdz data correctly, you should see Read Coding data or the button on the right will be enabled. Focus on the issue, dont skip and proceed further unless this issue is resolved.

Which car are you coding and what did you pick up targetSelector as? Investigate properly, no need to hurry up. You will definitely succeed, have patience.

#52 ·
I am new to coding and following the information in this forum I have successfully managed to connect to the car and read the coding data :).
I am now looking forward to programming.
Thank you everyone for your valued contribution and knowledge.
Hello,

I dont know anything about coding but i lijke what Iam reading. Where can I get this equipment and...do you know if there is anyone in the Atlanta area that will code it. 2011 528i

#11 ·
I have my cable, i have read most of the threads but I am still unsure about specifically what and how to download the appropriate files. Can someone point me specifically what I need to download and from where. thank you!

#2,018 ·
Hi April. How does this software compare to NCSExpert and INPA? How does the K+DCAN USB Enet cable I am using with this software for my 2005 BMW 530I compare? I am still trying to figure out why I cannot get my car to communicate with this NCSExpert/INPA software....I don't know if it is the Windows 7 (64 bit) I am using (have heard on forums that 32 bit , xp is needed) or something else, but I cannot get the two radio buttons for the ignitions and battery to highlight in black or fill in with black for that matter, confirming there is communication.

Is this software an alternate to NCS Expert? If so, do you recommend I use it instead? What is the benefit over NCS Expert?

Thank you all.:dunno:

#16 ·
Success!! A Big "Thank You" to April1

A Big "Thank You" to April1 for all the work he did and I benefited! :)

Exactly one week ago today, I PM April1 asking about cable and software for coding. On Monday, he shipped the package via USPS Priority Mail and I got it on Wednesday.

The package was professionally done, with labels on the flash drive and cable. Very nice!!

I followed this thread and others about coding, and finally decided that it was time, but links to the software was no where to be found. Fortunately April1 was the one-stop-shop for all my coding needs.

Last Sunday after April1 confirmed he had everything I need, I started preparing my Windows XP laptop computer and read up on the instructions.

Wednesday night I copied Apirl1's flash drive onto my hard drive, installed the software, studied the instructions, made some notes to get ready for Thursday night's connection to my 2013 X3.

Thursday night came, I was careful to disable anti-virus software and Windows firewall, and turned off my laptop's WiFi and Bluetooth. I also made sure I turned of all lights (automatic headlights, daylight running lights, and dome lights) in the car to conserve power. I followed the instructions to connect to my car. I was able to read the CAF file from my car and did a backup.

I had originally planned on doing just that on Thursday night. However, the process was so easy that I went on to code.

I successfully:
  1. disabled iDrive legal disclaimer during iDrive startup
  2. disbaled camera legal disclaimer
  3. added pressure and temperature readings to the TPMS screen
  4. enabled DVD in motion
I tried but wasn't able to enable turn signal on HUD.

April1's cable and software bundle, detailed instructions and screen shots in the "E-Sys - Getting Started Coding" PDF files paved the way to my quick success.

I greatly appreciate the contribution of all who went before me and so generously shared their knowledge! :thumbup:

#21 ·
With the availabity of psdzdata 47.4 and no reporting of any serious issue, I have updated my first post on step by step instructions.

You can use the batch files if you have the psdz data files. Three batch files are included 1. New installation 2. Update the previous installation by replacing the data files and 3. Totally cleanup the current installation including E-Sys.

Best Wishes

April1

#24 ·
I'd like to contribute at finding new neat features to activate or modify through coding. But frankly, I don't quite know where to start looking.

And I can't read or speak German, so I've been using Google Translate to somehow understand the sub-sections of the modules. Not always obvious !

I also notice that some mods require changes to one or more sections... And I'm a little insecure (but not too much) about screwing up the car to a point that it will no longer start. And then hear the classical "I told you so..." from my wife :)

Any insights or tricks will be appreciated, thanks !

#26 · (Edited)
Partial success on my first programming attempt! Cable finally came from Hong Kong (was stuck in US Customs for over a week) but it appears to be well-made, works just fine, and only cost $29.

Since I'm taking the car to the dealership this week for its annual maintenance and possibly some software updates (hesitation issue, slight pull to right, etc.) I didn't want to go nuts today given that I've read that software updates by the dealer will wipe out my altered settings. So I'll do more next weekend, after I get the car back.

What I did do successfully was program it in module CAS so the key fob will allow me to close the windows & moon roof -- functionality, I might add, that my 2007 328xi had standard. Interestingly, it doesn't seem to fold my mirrors, though. Now I did not notice that I should have also changed the related item in the FRM module, so maybe that's why the mirrors didn't fold ***8230;.. just a guess .. and something I can honestly live without, anyway. I rarely fold them in except when parked long term at the airport, anyway. I also changed the TPMS settings in the HU_CIC module, though it did not add tire pressure and temperature to my display. Big disappointment, as that was the one change I really wanted ... and I'm pretty sure I have the TPMS since I have metal valve stems, not rubber. Oh well, maybe someone can figure that out since the "cheat sheet" says that change works for some people but obviously not all. Darn. Finally, I also changed the Speed Limit Info settings in HU_CIC but didn't change the related setting in KOMBI, so that's not working yet (and I have the rear-view mirror cam, as I have Lane Departure and Automatic High Beams) but should be when I fix that.

Two questions from today's experience, though. I ran the batch file that is posted elsewhere on this site to back up my CAF files after reading them in E-sys. After I was done making my changes above, I went to look for the original files, and though I found a folder My_CAF_Files with a sub-folder date & time-stamped properly, that folder was empty. What might have gone wrong? I'm not too upset that I don't now have an original unaltered set of files, but I'd like to make sure it works going forward. Second question is that I didn't even see the HKFM module so I could code the inside button and key fob to close the trunk when pressed. Is that because I only had the v45.1 psdzdata files to work with? Should that module appear if I upgrade to the v46.6 files I see on here now?

Anyway,. I wanted to share my experience today so that other newbies might not feel so intimidated by the process of programming the car. It's really not too bad if you follow the step-by-step instructions given in the Getting Started document. Really!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.