BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Loaner F30 335i spoiled me :(

6K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  christianfahey 
#1 ·
Well I took my car into Classic BMW to get the software update on my F10 528i and they gave me a loaner 2012 335i sedan. Thus car completely spoiled me, the steering, ride, handling and above all the engine impressed the flip out of me. I am already looking at how to loose the least amount of money on a year old F10 lol.

Please talk me out of it I think it's just love at first drive :)

Btw the software update really makes the car better but that's for another thread.

Thanks,
-Daniel

#2 ·
I have not driven one, but here is my take on them. If you secretly wanted a four door sport car, the 335 is the way to go. But if you want a very competent sedan with good handling, but value a solid comfortable ride and nice surroundings, the 5 is the way to go.

If the 335 had been available with ventilated seats, I would have been very tempted myself. But I like the interior of the 5 probably twice as much as the 3. I was disappointed when I saw the all new 3. But from a sports car perspective I'm sure it is a hell of a lot more fun to drive.

I like sports cars (just sold a Z06 Corvette), but at the end of the day I live and drive the car in the Houston area where a sport car is something of a waste of money for a daily driver (I ride my motorcycles on the fun back roads on weekends).

#7 ·
I disagree it's a notch below.

It's just a different car for a different mission.

#9 ·
Yes, different design mission. One is a entry level sports sedan and the other is a mid size luxury sport sedan. Beside performance, the F30 is a notch below the F10 in every catagory.
No offense but it bugs me to hear the 3 Series described as an "entry level" .....

Many view it as the ultimate.

It's been on the 10 Best list for years and is the "gold standard" in handling and drivability for a sports sedan.

#28 ·
No offense but it bugs me to hear the 3 Series described as an "entry level" .....

Many view it as the ultimate.

It's been on the 10 Best list for years and is the "gold standard" in handling and drivability for a sports sedan.
I am not the only one with this opinion, here is what Edmunds have to say about the F30.

"The 3 Series sedan is all-new for 2012, but the other body styles carry over unchanged. Regardless, this BMW stalwart remains a well-rounded and highly desirable entry-level luxury car."

#4 ·
This is so odd -- I just came over here to BF to post about the 335i Sedan (E90 even!) I have for a loaner during my software upgrade, and this thread is the first thing I see!

Anyway, I forgot how fun a smaller car with a big powerplant is -- I'm having a blast driving this little car. They can take as long as they want with my boring 5... :bawling:

#5 ·
The reason is the 528i is underpowered so the 335i seems a lot more responsive and agile.

I drove the F30 335i Sport on Saturday as part of the drive for Team USA event. I liked the car a lot, but I had no desire at all to own one. Much prefer my 550i.

#10 ·
I could see that happening. I had a 328 loaner and couldn't believe how slow it was. I can only imagine a 528. Not too mention I was only able to get 3 mpg more than my 550 in my normal commute. Probably because I had to keep the throttle down a lot to keep it going...

#12 ·
I have had a lot of seat time with both. You can't even compare the two. First of all the 335i out of the box is a drivers car. When you add sport package, or Msport, or 19 inch rims or go for future M3 it takes an already capable drivers car and turns it into a track tool.
The 5 series starts as a luxury car. It's much more refined, larger,civilized, and mature. In order to make it more of a drivers car you have to order a host of expensive options, then it becomes much more suited to aggressive driving. It's still not a spots car though, it's too big and you can't defy the laws of physics. Even the M5 with all it's power will still be much harder to maneuver on the track than an M3.

It's been said before but it bears repeating the 3 is a sports car with some luxury while the 5 is a luxury car with some sport. This was done on purpose, and considering how big the 3 and 5 have become, the 1 is the new 3 and the 3 is the new 5.

#15 ·
I have had a lot of seat time with both. You can't even compare the two. First of all the 335i out of the box is a drivers car. When you add sport package, or Msport, or 19 inch rims or go for future M3 it takes an already capable drivers car and turns it into a track tool.
The 5 series starts as a luxury car. It's much more refined, larger,civilized, and mature. In order to make it more of a drivers car you have to order a host of expensive options, then it becomes much more suited to aggressive driving. It's still not a spots car though, it's too big and you can't defy the laws of physics. Even the M5 with all it's power will still be much harder to maneuver on the track than an M3.

It's been said before but it bears repeating the 3 is a sports car with some luxury while the 5 is a luxury car with some sport. This was done on purpose, and considering how big the 3 and 5 have become, the 1 is the new 3 and the 3 is the new 5.
+1 Nice summary/analysis.

#13 ·
Personally I always felt my old E39 was just the right size for a performance and luxury sedan. When the E60 ariived I thought WTF? Look how much larger this thing is! But I ended up surrendering to the E60 in 2008. Now I own a F10 and the new 3 has my attention with it's larger size and solid performance. The new F30 is about the same size as the E39 with more rear seat room. The only thing that may stop me going with the F30 is I'll be 14 years older since owning the ole E39. BRAVO BMW!!!

#17 ·
Yes, the 550 xi M-sport is a little boring

It's a great car...but it's not like my 2008 650i sport, which is gone. the 500xi is too big, too heavy, and not nimble enough. I'm not not blaming BMW: this is a small "7" and not the 5 of old. I think I need an M3 or a 911 next. Then again, I still have the Ducati MTS 1200 and the more boring 1200RT.

#18 ·
Anyone surprised why the OP preferred a lighter car with a stronger engine than a heavier car with a weaker powerplant? Duh...

If OP were coming from a 535 or 550 and got into a 335 loaner his experience would not be as exciting.

#19 ·
Even 535i and 550i driving experience is still below F30 335i. See my rant of F10 here after driving 335i.

F10 has 4 weak areas compared to F30:
  1. Steering: The software update does make the F10 steering better. It's about 80% of F30 now.
  2. Handling: stock vs stock, F10 handling is not even closed. Let's see after I switch the springs to ACS and change the tires to Michelin PSS.
  3. Sound: Hopefully BMW M performance exhaust can remedy this.
  4. Transmission: No solution so far. Our shift change is so much slower compared to F30's

F10 strong areas:
  1. Higher quality interior
  2. More space in term of width, not much in term of interior length
  3. Better exterior design (this maybe subjective)

#20 ·
Yes but the F30 can't hold a candle to the handling of the 135iS. It's just too heavy! I don't understand why you wouldn't just get a 1 series.

BTW BMW invented a genius 4 wheel steering that offsets the weight effect while cornering and gives you more cornering speed, but no body buys that option and then complains about the steering.

I honestly don't see anyone driving my car, and then saying they prefer a 335.

#23 ·
Have you sat in a 335? I'm 6'1", and a huge complaint I have about the 5 is the very short front door. The pillar between front and back is very far forward, so it took me a while to adjust my "vehicle entry procedure." :)

I actually believe the 3 has more legroom than the 5, although the 5 is a bit wider.

Fortunately I appreciate the former more than the latter. :)

#24 ·
Wow, I'm not getting either of these complaints about the F30 or F10.

I don't find the front doors of the F10 to be short at all. I have no problems getting in. I'm 6'2" and sit pretty far rearward too (head even with the pillar.

Also, I have no issues with the F30, find it to have similar front legroom but narrower, as noted. But still comfortable.

#25 ·
6' 4" here and plenty of room for me in both models ...... not so much for the back seat passenger behind me ....

#31 ·
I was smitten the first time I drove a 335i but I understand and appreciate the difference between the 3 and the 5. I have always been given the 328 when I take my 335 in and while I am glad to get it back I can still appreciate the 328 for its handling and ride qualities without the extra hp of the 335. I even still enjoy driving my e36 from time to time. I guess what I am saying is that I have yet to drive a bimmer that I didn't like. I keep waiting for them to give me a M3 loaner but not holding my breath.

#33 ·
Well I took my car into Classic BMW to get the software update on my F10 528i and they gave me a loaner 2012 335i sedan. Thus car completely spoiled me, the steering, ride, handling and above all the engine impressed the flip out of me.
-Daniel
I'm considering a 5 series, and I felt that this was the BMW model I wanted. Then the Team Drive event came up and I got to test the 3 series. Now its hard for me to decide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.