BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Z3 clunks, whines, and jerks....

Z3 Roadster (E36/7) 
2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Blacklane 
#1 ·
First of all Thank god for a site like this, that lets car owners do more the just complain about cars, but actually do something about it.

I got a 5 speed 99 2.3 Roadster with over 140k on the dial. Car runs great! I had it inspected at a local European auto shop that specializes on BMWs. everything checked out!

my issue with the car is the clunks is makes when coming to a stop from low rpms, a whine that is always there at start up coming from the rear, and last but not lease the jerks the car give out when I'm driving slow.

all the mounts check out okay, I even decided to get the transmission oil change while I was at the shop. Spend a cool 110$ since they ended up having to get the oil from the dealership.

I also installed the street UUC Transmission mounts with cups, which may or may not have helped.

There is got to be some slack somewhere in the drive train that is giving me all that jerks, but I dont know where to start! everything check out good! the flex disc looks new, even the tranny mounts I plulled out where in great shape!

thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Check the diff mount and more importantly the unibody strut that the diff mount attaches to. This could be a serious failure and one that is not uncommon on these cars.
I'm not sure I understand the whine at start-up. Do you mean the whine is always present when the engine is on? Is it tied to speed?
I also don't understand the jerk when driving slow. Does it jerk like the clutch is grabbing? Is the jerking rhythmic at all? Is it tied to speed?
You could have a bad drive shaft and/or center support bearing. You could have a bad dual-mass flywheel. You could have a bad axle shaft. I wonder what the dealer looked at.

#3 ·
there is a steady whine comeing from the back of the car that eventually goes away. It does get louder with speed but not by much.

I was the the diff mount was in good shape and I checked this myself when I installed the tranny mounts. But Ill take another look my next day off.

the jerks happen right after letting go of the clutch from a complete stop. It seems like I just have to rev more then I normally would to avoid it. Someone told me the clutch maybe on its way out. altho I havent expierince any slipping.

#4 ·
You might have a bad dual-mass flywheel. There are some good YouTube videos that show what it looks like. You might also have the dreaded clutch delay valve in the clutch hydraulics. It can be removed, although it's also a good time to install a stainless steel clutch line.
The whine could be just about anything that spins back there: Center support bearing, differential, wheel bearings, CV joints, brakes, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.