BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E46 323ci Fluid coming out of transmission breather, Steptronic question, HELP pleas!

14K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  riverjamie 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 323ci 153k with an steptronic automatic Transmission GM built. I'm having a couple of issues with my tranny. First off, I live in Minnesota and it has been cold here and averaging 15 degree's out side. I'm not sure if the issues are because of cold. First Problem, when the car is cold and hadn't been started when I try to move the car the engine revs like its trying to move with the e-brake on, barely moves in forward or reverse, with that being said, the second issue happens, If you try moving it, fluid starts to come out of the breather hole on the top of the tranny. It leaves a decent puddle if you try to move it. Now if you start it up and let it warm for 10-15 Minutes without shifting it, it drives and shifts beautifully. I have done tranny fluid change about a year before this happened. I have done a fluid change after this happened and it drove fine twice and the problem is back again. It also started when it was below 25-30 degrees out. Has anyone had this problem or know whats wrong with it?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Control valves are probably getting stuck. Now that you have leaked fluid, I would start with dropping the pan and replacing filter and fluid, especially since you are probably a little low on fluid now.

That vent/breather hole is to allow for expansion/contraction of the air when fluid heats up and cools down...I find it odd fluid is blowing out at all, especially when the tranny is cold.

#3 ·
I have talked to a couple of my friend that are mechanics and they too think that it is odd that the fluid is coming out of the breather. Since it started I have done a pan drop and fluid change. It drove fine for two trips (about 50 miles total), shifts super smooth. Then it started again with not wanting to move and fluid coming out of the breather. Next time I do a pan drop, filter and fluid change should I try a tranny additive like Trans Tune or something like that to clean the valves and internals? Do you think that its a good idea?

#5 ·
Sorry, I missed your first post stating you just did fluid and filter....noted the first one done about a year ago.

At this point, I would be taking it to Global Transmission...the shop that rebuilt my 323s tranny about 80k ago when I lost reverse. I would recommend you find an honest tranny shop (I know, it is tough to do so ask around) and let them test it as it probably needs a rebuilt valve body.

#7 ·
Update: on the transmission

Hi Guys,

Here is an update on my transmission. Last week on Wednesday I warmed up my transmission so I could move it. I decided to try Trans Tune, made by seafoam since I figured at this point it couldn't hurt a already messed up trans. Here is what I did. Warmed it up for about 20 minutes, jacked up and opened the fill hole, since the fluid was up to operating temp it had expanded and so I was able to let out about a half quart of fluid out. Letting the car cool over night and the next morning I started it and added about a half quart of trans tune to the fluid. According to the can it cleans valves, screens etc. I proceeded to drive the car about 20 or so miles, came home, jacked it up and drained the fluid. It seemed to be a bit darker in color from the day before. I then did a new filter and pan gasket and filled it up with valvoline max life semi syn fluid and a 1/4 quart of Trans tune. Topped it off while running the engine. I have driven the car 3 times since and moves when it is cold and it shifts perfectly. It seems like it may have had a clogged solenoid screen or something in the valves. Hope it keeps up like this.

#8 ·
Thanks for posting an update on this. I agree you wouldn't lose anything by trying something like that at this point. I would think that it is still a bit early to declare a victory but it is a good sign that it is working as usual so far. Drive a few weeks and see what will happen.
Remember to update us:)

#9 ·
So far my transmission still works and its almost 2 weeks and 500 Miles

Here is what worked for me on my GM 5L40E Steptronic Transmission, It has been almost 2 weeks since I did this on my transmission and now it is working great and maybe better than it use to when I purchased it a year and a half ago.

1.) I did a fluid drain and fill, Follow the fill instruction for BMW transmissions, warmed up the transmission for about 10-15 Minutes, drove the car for 15-20 Miles. Let the car cool over night and put it on jack stands.
2.) Next day, with the engine cold. Removed the fill plug and drained out about ½ quart of fluid and put the fill plug back in. Take a bottle of Trans Tune made by Sea Foam and a pump. Trans tune is designed to clean valves & screens, and the inner workings of the transmission as well as it takes moisture out of the fluid. Start the car and unscrew the fill plug, fill up the transmission with as much Trans Tune you can put in, screw in the plug, slowly run through the gears. Warm up the car again for 10-15 minutes and drive it around for 20 miles or so.
3.) Put the car up on jack stands, you may want to wait for it to cool a little so you don't burn your hands, drain the transmission fluid, remove the pan and pull the filter, Make sure you clean off the magnet in the pan. After pulling the filter down check to see if there are any rubber gaskets stuck in the hole. If so remove them. Install the pan and gasket. Fill the transmission and add a ¼ bottle of Trans Tune while you are filling it up. Start the car and fill up the remaining amount with transmission fluid.

Hopefully it will work for you. It did for me. I had done a transmission fluid and filter change one year before and put on about 10k then this happened. Thinking back I should have done another fluid change to get all the old fluid out. Looking back at the fluid it was very dark since I don't think that it had been done for quite a while. When I changed it this go around it looked more like Tea color the first time, doing the fluid change, second time it looked better and now it looks pink.

I used Volvoline Max Life Dex/Merc, I have heard good thing about this fluid.
Its $6-7 a quart at O'Reilly auto, Autozone has a Gallon (4 Quarts) for $15.99, Better deal. Each fluid change is about 6-7 Quarts
Filter and pan gasket part #FK353 are $24.99 at O'Reilly Auto, only differences is the Gasket is all rubber compared to and original which is rubber and Metal. Just don't use gasket sealer on a rubber gasket or it will leak.

Good Luck and I hope it works for you!

#10 · (Edited)
Hi Gussers, I have a similar problem with my 2000 528i with the same trany It's been a real intermittent problem at times. What it's doing is leaking fluid from the breather like yours. The difference is I don't have any problems with shifting Fwd or Rev, and no slipping. About 6 months ago my son noticed the problem with oil in his garage. He took to his mechanic who couldn't find anything so he, did a trany service. Then my son gave me the car. Had it parked in driveway and it did it's leaking about 4 times in one week. So I found what you did, with the breather leaking. So I read alot about how to drain and fill trans. I took it back to the mechanic that did the work. He opened up the fill hole, while it was runing, and it really poured out. So I had him remove some fluid until it was a small stream like it's suppose to be. Well I had the car up on some ramps last night to bleed the coolant. Then today in the morning backed the car down and sure enough the breather leaked again. It had went 16 days without leaking (400 miles). So now trying to figure out what to do next. I like what you tried. I might do the same. So how many miles are on the trany since you did the oil change? Did you leave the Seafoam tuner in? Does it say you can? I also read somewhere about using the trans Max life, and people seem to like it. Any other thoughts.

#11 ·
So I read alot about how to drain and fill trans. I took it back to the mechanic that did the work. He opened up the fill hole and it really poured out. So I had he remove some fluid until it was a small stream like it's suppose to be.
Just a point of clarification - was the engine running when you cracked the fill plug open? If not, your issue is now compounded with an under-filled transmission.

#12 ·
Yes, I had drove the car to the mechanic about 8 miles so it should've been somewhere in the 86-122F range. We put it up right away, opened the fill plug, it really poured out, not a small stream like it's suppose to be. Then we drained it down to a small stream. It was doing find no shifting problems or leaks. Then this morning leaked out of breather. It was filled with Pentosin AFT 1. Amber in color.

Thanks for replying

#13 ·
Yes, I had drove the car to the mechanic about 8 miles so it should've been somewhere in the 86-122F range. We put it up right away, opened the fill plug, it really poured out, not a small stream like it's suppose to be. Then we drained it down to a small stream. It was doing find no shifting problems or leaks. Then this morning leaked out of breather. It was filled with Pentosin AFT 1. Amber in color.

Thanks for replying
Yes, but was it running while you opened the plug? With the motor running the torque converter will take about a third of the total fluid in there.

I've also done a few of these (7 in total) as of today. Driving it any distance will get it above the maximum suggested temperature. In all of mine I had the car sitting overnight on stands. All I had to do was start it, shift it through the gears, fill it (twice) and it was at max temperature. How much that matters I don't know.

In any case good luck. I just wanted to make sure that the mechanic was aware that the motor had to be running at the time the fill plug was opened. Making sure it's properly filled will help in your diagnosis in that other symptoms don't compound the original symptoms.

#14 ·
Thanks again for getting back. It's a weird problem. I've had a very difficult time finding anyone that has had the same problem with ATF coming out of the breather. So hoping the Gusser1 will give me some feedback where he's at. I did do a search on Google just for the 5L40E trans with this problem but could not come up with much. One said a E46 had the problem an it was a torque converter seal and front pump. Something about the torque converter fills up then spills out the vent, so not sure if that's the top Breather like mine or not? I've even talked to a few trans shops but them do seem to really know either? It's always probably have to rebuild. Know I was thinking that maybe some of the soleniods screens might be clogged up a little which might effect pressure or maybe their not actuating all the way? Which might put pressure where it does belong?

#15 ·
River jamie, I would suggest you do a transmission pan drop and new filter. It sounds like your filter maybe clogged. Some have a felt style filter inside the the metal filter housing. They have a higher ability to filter out things thus getting dirty faster. Some of the cheap filters only have a very thin mesh style filter. I would stick with a decent quality filter.

Recently I saw this on an older 92 fox body Mustang that had not had the automatic transmission fluid changed in about 7-8 years. Similar problem to you. It had a Wix filter that is on the higher end of the options. Fluid was still fairly clean. I had bought two filters, one was the store brand which looked similar to what looked like the original ford. The wix looked much better. Anyway, did a pan drop and cheap filter, filled and warmed up and drove. Parked it cooled down and did the same with the wix, new fluid again.

No leaks and shifts properly now.

#16 ·
Hi Gusser1

You got back to me a while ago, and said that the BMW has went 2600 miles since you did the Sea Foam Trans Tune treatment. Well tomorrow I'm going to the trans shop and have them add the Sea Foam. Just wanted to ask one more time. Is it still doing fine no problems with the breather leaking ATF? How many miles has it been now.

I took the car to a real nice clean German Car only Transmission shop and they said that it will probably have to be rebuilt to solve the problem. But he also said to go ahead and try the Sea Foam because it won't heard the rebuilding if it should need it,

#17 ·
Hi Gusser1

You got back to me a while ago, and said that the BMW has went 2600 miles since you did the Sea Foam Trans Tune treatment. Well tomorrow I'm going to the trans shop and have them add the Sea Foam. Just wanted to ask one more time. Is it still doing fine no problems with the breather leaking ATF? How many miles has it been now.

I took the car to a real nice clean German Car only Transmission shop and they said that it will probably have to be rebuilt to solve the problem. But he also said to go ahead and try the Sea Foam because it won't heard the rebuilding if it should need it,
SeaFoam is snake oil....don`t expect anything positive to come out of it....

#19 ·
Well today added the SeaFoam Trans Tune 8oz. at 117302. I did notice that the Pentosin ATF1 looked very dark only after 4K. I don't know what it looked like when it was change at 113K? So can only take the mechanic's word the it was changed? I called Pentosin they said that the ATF1 should be Amber and translucent. Well it look like neither. So going to run the SeaFoam then do a purge, install new fluid (Valvoline MaxLife and filter. I watched a good Youtube video by some German guys on how to purge the system by disconnecting the return cooler line and pumping the fluid out through it, then refilling the trany, after about three times the fluid looked pretty good. So hope that will work for me? Also has anyone used the Pentosin ATF1 product? Do you know if it turns to a dark brown in a short time, like 4K?

#20 ·
When you do a drain & refill, you`re only getting maybe 60% of the old ATF out (a bunch stays in the torque converter), which is why it`s recommended to do it 2 or 3 times in close succession in order to ensure replacing as much of the old fluid as possible.

#24 ·
Update on GM 5L40e trany leaking out of breather on 2000 e39 528i

Well I still have the problem. It does not seem to do it if when cold I start it in neutral, drive, neutral, then reverse. But can't be sure if it's doing it while driving?

After 2000 miles it's lost about 6 ounces. I jacked up the car yesterday, warmed it up to correct temp 98 and opened fill plug, no stream, it didn't need much but still 6 ounces? So not to comfortable with that. I was thinking about installing a extension tube, if I can, to the top of the breather and running it up under the hood to a tank. But not sure if the fluid will just go back down into the trany if when the pressure drops or not? I just can't see taking in a good working trany and having the whole thing rebuilt for this.

Any thoughts, has anyone else had this problem? What about the pressure solenoid?

Thanks

#25 ·
Wanted to jump in here and say that I've been having the same problem. It only occurs when it is cold out and I has done it a couple times this year and a couple times during winter last year.

Always the same thing...start the car and proceed to back up and there is barely any power delivery to the wheels even as I further apply the pedal. But it's not really like the transmission is slipping or anything and there are no odd noises whatsoever. The engine sounds fine but it's just straining to deliver power to the wheels. I move like 25 feet and stop. There is a pool of transmission fluid that gushed out which is approximately 1/2 a quart. I put it in park, turn it off, wait 10 seconds, start the car. It now engages just fine in both drive and reverse. Power delivery is perfectly fine and I continue on a 2 hour drive with no problems at all. The transmission shifts fine, no noises and the tranny seems to be working just as good as it did when I bought the car 14 years and 150,000 miles ago (it now has 178,000). This exact same thing has happened about 3 or 4 times over the past 2 years. By the way...I've actually got a 1999 e46 but it has the GM tranny and sure sounds like the same problem as the above posts.

Speculation -- is there is perhaps some sort of valve or actuator in the valve body that sticks when it is cold out? Maybe it causes the fluid pressure to build up in a place where it is not supposed to. The transmission has a blow hole near the top and the pressure is relieved through that hole releasing the fluid all over the ground. Restarting the car seems to dislodge the sticking valve or maybe the slightly warmed up fluid helps unstick it.

Thoughts anyone? Would it be wise to consider a valve body replacement, perhaps? I've heard rebuilt ones are only $400+ bucks and not real difficult to DIY.

#26 ·
Wanted to jump in here and say that I've been having the same problem. It only occurs when it is cold out and I has done it a couple times this year and a couple times during winter last year.

Always the same thing...start the car and proceed to back up and there is barely any power delivery to the wheels even as I further apply the pedal. But it's not really like the transmission is slipping or anything and there are no odd noises whatsoever. The engine sounds fine but it's just straining to deliver power to the wheels. I move like 25 feet and stop. There is a pool of transmission fluid that gushed out which is approximately 1/2 a quart. I put it in park, turn it off, wait 10 seconds, start the car. It now engages just fine in both drive and reverse. Power delivery is perfectly fine and I continue on a 2 hour drive with no problems at all. The transmission shifts fine, no noises and the tranny seems to be working just as good as it did when I bought the car 14 years and 150,000 miles ago (it now has 178,000). This exact same thing has happened about 3 or 4 times over the past 2 years. By the way...I've actually got a 1999 e46 but it has the GM tranny and sure sounds like the same problem as the above posts.

Speculation -- is there is perhaps some sort of valve or actuator in the valve body that sticks when it is cold out? Maybe it causes the fluid pressure to build up in a place where it is not supposed to. The transmission has a blow hole near the top and the pressure is relieved through that hole releasing the fluid all over the ground. Restarting the car seems to dislodge the sticking valve or maybe the slightly warmed up fluid helps unstick it.

Thoughts anyone? Would it be wise to consider a valve body replacement, perhaps? I've heard rebuilt ones are only $400+ bucks and not real difficult to DIY.
We have an ongoing Sticky Thread dedicated specifically to Auto Trans problems....you might find that educational....:thumbup:

#27 ·
5/19/2014 Hi Guys just got the car back from the Trany shop. They replaced the forward pump boost pressure and regulator valves and a few seals that go with it. I also had them replace the Torque Converter and Rear Main seal. I was able to watch them do the dino test. So hopefully no more ATF blowing out breather. Thanks for all the feedback on this problem.

Update 1/8/2015 trany has 2k on it now and no leaks, if your thinking about doing this remember I did not have the whole transmission overhauled because planing on getting rid of car in a few years.

#28 · (Edited)
EWeis I never had a power problem and no slipping, just the leaking out of the breather mainly when cold and in reverse. Not sure on the valve body? Can you really get a rebuilt on or new for $400. If so let me know, in case down the road I need one. I just updated my trany's status, still okay but on has 2k on it.

I just bought a 2000 323i and guess what I think this car also just leaked out of the breather. Can't believe it. These cars just don't like me. Or maybe it's just GM 5l40e trany. I really think this thing about not changing atf (lifetime is a bunch of crap). I think if the trany's are serviced every 40-50k they would last longer. We change our engine oil at 3-7k?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.