BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Good E9x Hardtop Convertibles

12K views 81 replies 27 participants last post by  bri335is 
#1 ·
Hello All. My first post here. About 3 weeks ago my (paid for) E46 330 Ci Convertible was totaled and my wife wants another Convertible. However, I've read herein some horror stories about stuck and/or leaking E9x Hardtop Convertibles. I even saw the U-Tube video of the guy in SC showing his 335 leaking (badly) in a carwash.

So here's my question. How many of you have GOOD (properly articulating and nonleaking) Hardtop Convertible BMW 335's??

Generally, those that exhibit problems on internet are the tails of the distribution (statistically speaking) and so its hard to determine the real extent of a problem (again statistically).

What I'd really like to know is how many experience NO PROBLEM.

A leaking, non-atriculating roof to me is a show-stopper. I had a Z3 before the 330 and both were ragtops....and neither ever leaked for failed. If the problem with the E9x is really extensive....I'll look for another E46 (maybe a M3).

Thanks!

#2 ·
No problems with mine. Bought it with 29k on the odo. At 33k, it had trouble coming out of the trunk, dealer adjusted it and its been problem free for the past 7k miles.

It is not recommended to take the convertible through a high pressure car wash. I do it and haven't had any issues (unless the guy drying the car gets it before I see it). Its not supposed to leak during rain.

Coming from a soft top, I prefer this hard top as it isolates road/wind noise from the cabin better than that of the soft top.

#3 ·
No problems with mine. Bought it with 29k on the odo. At 33k, it had trouble coming out of the trunk, dealer adjusted it and its been problem free for the past 7k miles.

It is not recommended to take the convertible through a high pressure car wash. I do it and haven't had any issues (unless the guy drying the car gets it before I see it). Its not supposed to leak during rain.

Coming from a soft top, I prefer this hard top as it isolates road/wind noise from the cabin better than that of the soft top.
Short of driving the car in a driving rainstorm at 70 mph, a high pressure car wash is the only way to test the seal integrity. The LCI E93 cars (4/2010+ build date?) had revised seals fitted to the top, so BMW even acknowledged the problem. :yikes:

#5 ·
Sticking roof situations are rarely due to run down batteries. I would not take my car into that dealership if they are resorting to fairy tales even before you bought a car.

#6 ·
I'm an Engineer....and I sorta felt that already.

So you see my question. I've read horror stories about these roofs. I need to buy a car in the next few weeks.

Is the confidence in them so low that I should just go back to the rag top E46's....

Also...any knowledge abou the new Z4 Hardtop / Convertibles...does the problem extend to them as well?

The Z4 seems to be an order of magnitude less complex in its mechanical actuation than the 335 roofs.

#7 ·
i own 2009 convertible hardtop ! never leaked ever ! u will never regret it i love it till this day .. only problem now i have is my engine just lightened up 2hrs ago .. and I'm worried to death wondering whats the dealer gonna say -_- its doesn't drive more than 60 I'm so worried

#17 ·
I have the 2nd Euro Delivery E93 335i March 2 2007. I have had a failed glove box solenoid. End of story. I am also an engineer and after MB had great success with the SLK I was comfortable getting out of the soft top verts and buying this one.
This is a forum where most people who have problems come to look for answers and the rest of us are pure enthusists and enjoy learning and discussing our favorite rides. Clearly the reports are heavily skewed toward way more problems than actually exist.
I don't operate my top everyday and in fact I don't operate my top more than 15 times a year while many on here operate theirs 15 times a month of more. Operational use has a lot to do with what might fail but many users, heavy ueser like Kat have proven this top to be extremely reliable...

#19 ·
Thanks. My work is heavy in statistics and your point above regarding people airing problems on boards such as this is precisely why I'm soliciting opinions of those who've not had problems.

My recently totaled 330CiC was a joy with very few problems. And once one has owned a Bimmer....it's hard to drive anything else.

#18 ·
I have only had the car for 6 months (2012 model year). Other than a few drops of water from where the top panel and the A-pillar mates when washing the car, no problem with the top at all. None in the rain. Treating the seals with Krytox definitely helps.

The hard top makes for a quieter and more comfortable car. I would say go for it. Good luck!

#20 ·
Hi DJ,

Mine isn't a 335i, but I don't think the engine variant affects top integrity. That being said, as Fun2Drive mentioned I am a heavy user of my top. (had it up and down at least 5 times this last week of November).

I have a little teen-einsy drip that happens every once in a while if I hit the car just right at the passenger side a-pillar while washing the car. Other than that, no leaks.

Mine is a July 2009 (pre-LCI) build, took delivery Aug 2009.

I did have a sticky front hinge mechanism that was replaced under warranty and with an SIB in March 2011. Also, had the headliner tensioning cords replaced under warranty in August 2011. The frayed cords have been addressed by 2010 and newer cars getting the more robust cords (also what they used in my replacement issue).

I've never heard of the top sticking due to a failing battery - that's just crazy. It is true that actuating the top repetitively, without the engine running is a huge draw on the battery, but as long as your battery is in good health, I wouldn't sweat it. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending upon perspective, I live fairly close to my workplace so my car suffers from short hop driving. That has been its biggest issue. I just had my battery replaced under warranty and have acquired a battery tender to keep it properly charged.

I am a firm believer in keeping the rubber seals between the panels well lubricated and moisturized and as a result my top is creak free, and the car is very quiet (no wind noise) at highway speeds) - in fact it's quieter than the Honda Civic coupe I previously owned.

If you do decide to go this route - and I personally think it's a good route, make sure your local preferred dealership have service people that have gone to the cabrio maintenance school. The shop foreman at my dealership (large - high volume in Houston) explained to me that there is a special class techs have to certify in to work on the retractable top.

Good luck with your decision. I love my cabrio and the pleasure it gives far outweighs the effort of the extra maintenance required.

#21 ·
My wife has an 09, 335i vert. The car now has 22k on it. The roof has always worked perfect. I usually take care of the wash duties and have had no issues with leakage. My wife has taken it to the car wash, usually when I'm too busy taking care of my car, and no reports of water problems from running it through.
:thumbup:

Wife-09-335i vert-Plat. Bronze metallic-Nav/comfort access/prem. pkg/cold weather pkg./Sirius
Mine-2009 750Li-Sapphire Black/Black Napa-ZSP,ZLS,ZPS,ZCV,ZDA,610,ZCE,4U1,655,6NF,4CA

#22 ·
40,000 miles on an 07 335i. Not top issues, no leaks and the car is rattle free which is remarkable considering the beating it has taken on NYC roads.

CA

#26 ·
No leaks or problems with my '11 convertible top.

#28 ·
2007 with 47,000 miles on it, bought it CPO 16 months ago with 32,000 miles. 04/07 build.

Not a single problem with the top, no leaks, noise, nothing. Periodically lube the mechanisms and treat the seals. Top gets cycled up/down at least daily 9 months of the year.

#29 ·
Great News Guys!

Your responses are precisely what I was looking for. A straw poll to be clear....and attribute at that....but still great to hear that BMW has not gone to hades with the cabriolet.

I have friends and colleagues that work at the Spartanburg, SC plant and I've guest lectured to one of their LSS Black Belt classes (I'm a Master BB). I know a few of their MBBs as well. So, its good to know that this issue is not as chronic as some might suggest.

I think that the acid test will be to take it through a car wash....although the only time that I do that is after we've had a snow event and there has been salt on our roads. I do live in the mountains and we do get some winter impact...nothing like the northeast or midwest...but it does happen. So if I drive after a snow event, I like to get the undercarriage clean and that requires the auto car wash.

You input is as I thought it would be....some probs....but the lion's share happy.

I also suspect that keeping the gaskets well moisturized is a key.

I'm a little concerned about the relays....but relays do go bad.

And BTW...your photos of your Cabs are gorgeous. You're helping me to get off the dime (or tens of thousands as it were) on my purchase decision.

#31 ·
BTW...your photos of your Cabs are gorgeous. You're helping me to get off the dime (or tens of thousands as it were) on my purchase decision.
Let's mention cargo capacity.

E93's top consumes a major part of truck space, leaving little....what remains is not real easy to access.

So, we flip the rear seatback down - it's carpeted in back. Rear seat's now a spacious parcel & luggage shelf. Top down it's much more convenient than truck space - if you consider yer E93 as an extended wheelbase roadster you got it - only a masochist would want rear seating in this car. OTOH, dogs love it!

#68 ·
Sounds just like a sunroof ;)
Mine too. Sometimes she will go with a ball cap and ponytail as well.
:)
yep. gotta have a couple scrunchies/hair bands in the console. I think that's convertible eitquette, right?
LOL, guys. I have scrunchies tucked away in easy to get to places, I have my BMW Ball cap tucked in the secret squirrel compartment behind the back seat center armrest. But all things being equal, in the morning on my way to work, I don't want to put my hair in a ponytail, and in the afternoons, after a long day of work I just want some fresh air. The beauty of the wind deflector is it allows for long hair to blow in the breeze in a nice way. Back away from the direction of motion. Without a wind deflector the currents are way too circular and long hair just ends up in your face. That is not good when you are trying to see while you drive. :angel:

Bottom line, with the wind deflector and windows down, I need scrunchies and baseball caps only about 5-10% of the time I drive or ride top down. Without the wind deflector that instantly goes up to 35-50% of the time.

#71 ·
LOL, guys. I have scrunchies tucked away in easy to get to places, I have my BMW Ball cap tucked in the secret squirrel compartment behind the back seat center armrest. But all things being equal, in the morning on my way to work, I don't want to put my hair in a ponytail, and in the afternoons, after a long day of work I just want some fresh air. The beauty of the wind deflector is it allows for long hair to blow in the breeze in a nice way. Back away from the direction of motion. Without a wind deflector the currents are way too circular and long hair just ends up in your face. That is not good when you are trying to see while you drive. :angel:

Bottom line, with the wind deflector and windows down, I need scrunchies and baseball caps only about 5-10% of the time I drive or ride top down. Without the wind deflector that instantly goes up to 35-50% of the time.
Kat - I'll give you (or anyone else with long hair) a pass, as I realize it can be a PIA when you hair blows forward over your face. Guys (or gals) with short hair have no excuse ;)

Just to illustrate how calm the E93 is, if you (or my wife/anyone with long hair) ride or drive my MGB, cap or scrunchy is mandatory 100% of the time due to the wind.

#34 ·
#46 ·
well first off hope no one got hurt in the wreck!
I just got my first BMW, and its a 2007 335i, HTC, with 42,000 miles, before I purchased the car I had the dealer actuate the top with me standing in the back listening to the unit so in case there were issues of noise I would hear them. so far the top has worked perfect. no leaks but then I was the car in the drive way and blow dry it with the leaf blower. I read thru Kats thread on top maintenance, purchased the rubber care products, and the HHK grease she recommended. I have lubed everything on the top, and greased the seals every saturday so far. It appears the previous owner neglected the seals, but they still look fine. the tension cords are frayed but will get replaced this monday, the only issue I had was the radio head unit was replaced and the car was not reprogramed so the Aux and SAT,USB didnt exist on the radio. However Carmax made good on their claim that within the first 30 days they will fix anything, so to the dealer last friday, they reprogramed the radio, fixed any codes stored in the cars memory and Carmax paid the bill, now everything is back to OEM specs. Now maybe Carmax will pay for the tension cords, not that I expect that, but if they do I will be a Happy, first time,(used) BMW owner! But just check the car out that you plan to buy, get one from carmax if possible, that was one of the best interactions I have every had purchasing a car, from a car dealer.

Hondo

#47 ·
Thanks. No one hurt. But you answered another question. CARMAX. They say they will repair in the first 30 days...but technically the tensioned aren't broken if just frayed...so they say they will pay for those too?

CARMAX appears TOB's one of my best used Bimmer options since they will deliver a remote car to the local store. The last thing I want to do is to turn the search into a physical trek.

well first off hope no one got hurt in the wreck!

But just check the car out that you plan to buy, get one from carmax if possible, that was one of the best interactions I have every had purchasing a car, from a car dealer.

Hondo

#48 ·
technically no they didnt say they would replace the tension cords. The BMW place has a good relationship with the local carmax, I think BMW thinks they will take care of it, but like I said, I didnt expect them to cover it but if they do, I will let them. If not I will pay for it.

also car max has an extended warranty, so I got one, 6 years or 75,000 miles with a 50 dollar deductable, does not cover maintenance items, but if its major I am covered

Hondo

#49 ·
Great point about the filter effect, Kat. I routinely now include the wind screen when I clean the car, and it is surprising how much black dust comes off of it.

Also with you on the windows up - my earlier comment may have been misleading. I only go top down / windows up when 1) it's really cold, like below 50, 2) I'm on the highway, extended time at speed above 60, 3) on the phone I'll sometimes roll them
Up to reduce traffic noise.

#50 ·
The wind deflector is a must! Keeps the breeze flowing past you instead of swirling in behind you. The wife says it also keeps the excess shopping bags in check after the trunk is full. :cry:

Wife-09-335i vert-Plat. Bronze metallic-Nav/comfort access/prem. pkg/cold weather pkg./Sirius
Mine-2009 750Li-Sapphire Black/Black Napa-ZSP,ZLS,ZPS,ZCV,ZDA,610,ZCE,4U1,655,6NF,4CA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.