BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
42K views 97 replies 61 participants last post by  dexterp652 
#1 · (Edited)
BMW 4 series coupe

The latest generation of the BMW 3 Series Coupe and Convertible leads the way worldwide in the premium mid-range coupe and convertible market. Indeed few, if any, rivals have made such a defining impact on this segment in terms of design, dynamics and efficiency.

Now, with the unveiling of the BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe, BMW is looking ahead to the fourth generation of its sporty mid-range coupe ***8211; and reasserting its global leadership credentials in the process.

BMW 4 series coupe rear

The "4" ***8211; a sign of greater exclusivity and presence
The BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe adds a new dimension to the qualities of the BMW 3 Series Coupe in terms of aesthetics, dynamics and elegance.
The "4" doesn't just mark the start of a new cycle, it represents the zenith of a development curve. BMW has given the new model its own individual character and a standalone design ***8211; and, in so doing, has turned "4" into segment shorthand for aesthetic and dynamic appeal. The latest addition to a nomenclature that sees BMW building on the fine tradition of its large BMW 6 Series and BMW 8 Series Coupes, the "4" stands for greater sportiness, greater exclusivity and even clearer differentiation from the BMW 3 Series range.

The design: a development curve reaches its zenith
The BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe allows the driver to experience the essence of this new, sporting and elegant generation of car in the lap of contemporary luxury. An array of high-quality details provide an exclusive showcase for the car's perfectly balanced coupe proportions. Inside, the expertise of BMW Individual, skilled hand craftsmanship and carefully selected materials combine to create a supreme interior. The role of BMW Individual in the BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe's development clearly underlines the brand's commitment to challenging itself constantly in pursuit of perfection.

BMW 4 series coupe concept

Lower and wider stance sharpens dynamics before a wheel is turned
The dimensions of the BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe imbue the car with a dynamic presence even when it is standing still. The wheelbase (2,810 mm) is 50 millimeters longer than that of the existing 3 Series Coupe, while 45 mm has been added to the front track (1,545 mm) and 80 mm to the rear track (1,593 mm). At 1,826 mm wide, the BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe is 44 mm broader than its predecessor, its roof line is 16 mm lower (1,362 mm) and it is also longer (4,641 mm) ***8211; all of which makes for exceptionally dynamic proportions.

Perfection in proportions
A BMW Coupe is surrounded by a halo of fascination, and one glance tells the observer all he needs to know about the driving experience on offer. The elegant lines and athletic surface interplay of the BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe embody the qualities and expertise of BMW design and shine out through its sporting silhouette. The car's proportions also fit the familiar BMW template: its long wheelbase, long sweeping bonnet, set-back passenger compartment and short overhangs propel the BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe forwards even before its engine stirs into life. At the same time, its stretched proportions exude a very athletic elegance ***8211; the rear wheel arches mark the widest point of the car, emphasizing the point ***8211; and taut lines and surfaces etch emotion and precision into the body. The Coupe's sophisticated detailing also captures the imagination on closer inspection. Functional elements such as air intakes and vents, door openers and exterior mirrors are given a stylistic lift by classy satin-finish aluminum accents. The exceptional dedication of the designers in achieving the right look for each particular function is evident in every one of these details.

BMW 4 series interior

Precision and sportiness in the front seats
Precise contours and multifaceted surfaces define the striking face of the BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe. The hallmark BMW front-end features, notably the kidney grille and twin circular headlights, have a slim, sporty design and ensure the BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe is immediately recognizable as a BMW. The front-end design displays a clear link with the BMW 3 Series family, but its sporting take on the theme accentuates the dynamic leanings of the BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe.

The new concept car lavishes both front-end design icons with meticulous detail and three-dimensional depth. The kidney grille is closed off in the interests of optimizing aerodynamics and keeping fuel consumption low, and the areas between the elaborately designed, satin-finish grille slats are blanked off by dark surfaces.

The full-LED headlights are a hexagonal, extremely technical-looking take on the customary BMW twin circular design. The dynamically chiseled, slimmer interpretation of this iconic design cue integrates seamlessly into the front end. The design of the headlights adopts the link between the lights and kidney grille familiar from the BMW 3 Series and takes it to the next level, rendering this connection visible in darkness as well. An optical fiber leads out from the inner headlight tube and forms a visual link between the inner headlight and the kidney grille. In so doing, it gives the front end of the Coupe an even broader look.

BMW 4 series LED headlights

The most eye-catching feature of the car's nose beyond the familiar BMW kidney grille and twin circular headlights is the large air intake in the front apron. Its wide opening hints at the extra air required by the powerful engines and guides the eye around to the muscular flared wheel arches. The two vent surrounds on either side of the intake replicate the contours of the hexagonal headlight graphics to lend the front end an even wider and more sporting look. Three strikingly sculptured, satin-finish aluminum trim elements in the intake provide added presence. Eye-catching and extremely width-accentuating, they give the aperture a sporty three-way split. The sides of the two flanking vents are of differing thickness and lend the front end a particularly dynamic appearance. At the same time, they mark off specific areas of the intake for brake and oil cooling and for the Air Curtain. This EfficientDynamics feature channels the incoming air around the outside of the wheels, ensuring the airflow "hugs" the wheel arches and fuel consumption is noticeably reduced as a consequence.

A side order of power and elegance
Flowing, typically BMW proportions and a stretched silhouette define the athletically elegant side view of the BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe, with elongated lines and expressively contoured surfaces providing a lively interplay of light and shadow. The gently downward-sloping roofline ***8211; a classic coupe feature ***8211; creates a smooth transition into the rear, stretches the overall appearance of the car and takes the elegant route to accentuating the sporting appeal of the car's flanks. The side windows also adhere to the slim and stretched theme. The striking exterior mirrors extend organically out of the shoulder line and provide another example of the eye for detail which allows aerodynamic function to be integrated neatly and with emotional appeal into the car's form. The BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe boasts elegantly molded shoulders, and surfaces and volumes blend harmoniously as the roof slopes down into the rear. The result is a sporty C-pillar design, which merges flawlessly into the sleek silhouette.

2014 BMW 4 series coupe

Below the side windows, the "double swage line" familiar from the BMW 3 Series range lends the car a dynamic sense of forward motion. The shadowed surface above the rear wheel shrinks significantly below the swage line. This accentuates the muscular contours around the rear wheels, emphasizing the car's dynamic flair and hallmark BMW rear-wheel drive.
The Air Breather, an aerodynamically effective aperture behind the front wheels, offers another pointer to the sophisticated aerodynamics of the BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe. It draws a dynamic path between the two light surfaces of the car's flanks, replicating the prominent form of the stylistic front-end elements. The Air Breather brings together the priorities of BMW EfficientDynamics and time-honored BMW design, and works in tandem with the Air Curtain in the front apron to ensure an effective reduction in drag around the wheels. Exclusive 20-inch light-alloy wheels add the finishing touches to the car's dynamically elegant silhouette. Their sophisticated, prominently three-dimensional multi-spoke design underscores their air of sporting elegance.

Broad, sporty stance at the rear
The sporting character of the BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe continues in the low-slung design of the rear. The prominent horizontal lines and stretched tail lights positioned at the outer edges of the rear draw extra attention to the muscular wheel arches and wide track. The design of the rear window has a lowering effect on the car's tail and gives the body as a whole an even more powerful look. It also shows off the car's broad shoulders with satisfying clarity. The horizontal lines of the rear end frame a subtle three-dimensionality, while a tightly structured concave indent in the rear creates shadowed surfaces and gives the car a forward-surging energy. This contrasting interplay of light and shadow brings extra vivacity to the rear end.

The L-shaped rear lights of the BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe blend harmoniously into the car's overall design. They continue the path of the swage line to the side and are absorbed as an integral part of the exterior design. The tail lights taper in towards the center of the rear end, but flare out powerfully towards the outer edges, underlining the Coupe's broad, squat stance on the road. The inner elements of the rear lights recall a sculpture of contorted surfaces. A full-sized light element here reproduces the signature BMW "double L" in three-dimensional form and with impressive depth. While the emitting surfaces shine brightly, those at the back are rather darker, rendering the strong sense of three-dimensionality visible when the lights are hot as well.

BMW 4 series rear led lights

The most striking element of the rear end is the bumper, in which a clearly defined trim element in satin-finish aluminum provides a classy lower edge as the car drops down towards the road. The trim element adopts a similar three-way split to the front air intake, but in a width-emphasizing form. It picks up the two exhaust tailpipes in a dynamic sweep at the outer edges of the rear apron before diverting the gaze to the wheels. Small upturns next to the tailpipes lend additional dynamic flair and finesse.

Interior bathed in subtle beauty
The interior of the BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe follows the traditional BMW recipe, blending sportiness and exclusivity stylishly into a single package. The interior wraps around the driver in typically BMW, driver-focused style. The most important controls for driving the car are grouped ergonomically around the driver to ensure all functions are within the easiest possible reach. The "layering" approach ***8211; whereby volumes are arranged into layers through the clever use of lines and surfaces ***8211; underlines the dynamic feeling inside the BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe.

This dynamic use of lines continues into the door design. All the lines streak backwards towards the rear of the car, thus pulling the focus of the interior clearly towards the front. At the same time, clearly defined surfaces around the window sills and door trim panels converge via the B-pillar into the rear in a tightly structured horizontal movement and connect the front and rear compartments. The arrangement of volumes around the doors, side walls and window sills forms a kind of cocoon around the passengers and generates a sporty and secure sense of space. Added to which, the strong contouring of the rear seats makes them appear like two individual seats joined together, emphasizing once again the sporting instincts of the BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe.

BMW 4 series mirrors

Craftsmanship, sustainability and technical refinement
Developed by BMW Individual, the color and materials design of the BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe is tailored precisely to the geometry of the interior. The two-tone Black and Schiaparelli Brown trim provides a particularly effective showcase for the interplay of forms in the front cabin, and light contrast stitching adds a fresh touch to the leather-covered surfaces. This exclusive trim consists of sustainably tanned leather, which makes a convincing case for itself with its natural feel and soft texture, as well as the environment-friendly tanning process used to produce it.

The fine detailing of the BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe exterior is continued inside the car, numerous elements of which reflect the exceptional attention to detail with which the BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe has been put together. As well as discreetly embossed "BMW Individual" lettering on the seats and door sill strips, the seats are also home to very special hand-braided leather trim elements, which run vertically down the seats and enhance the interior's feeling of class. The likewise leather-covered cup holders also adopt the braiding theme, as do the floor mats.

A Natural Chestnut fine wood trim strip adds the finishing touch to the exclusive interior. The combination of carefully selected, high-grade materials, sophisticated details and the extensive use of hand craftsmanship fills the BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe with an ambiance defined by contemporary luxury. The Liquid Metal Silver exterior color developed exclusively for the concept car shows off its expressive exterior design to excellent effect and injects an extra dose of energy into the interplay of contours and surfaces.

Latest Updates on BMW F32 4 series

See less See more
#48 ·
I like it

Overall I think it looks great. I suspect the interior will get toned down when it goes from concept to the actual car. I like that they made it pretty substantially different in terms of styling so we have more choices. I am looking forward to seeing the grancoupe 4 door if it really comes about

#53 ·
I have been waiting for these pics. I happen to think the F30 is just plain ugly. Can't stand to look at it actually. So I had major concerns about giving up my lease in Feb 2014. No worries now. 4 series looks awesome. It's amazing how much different a coupe versus 4 door can change the look on a similar design. Then again, I have always been partial to the look of a coupe.

#55 ·
Not digging the exhaust, those square covers are hideous. Why do car manufacturers feel they have to hide the exhaust pipe, it never looks right. Makes it look like an Acura, yech! rest of it looks good.

#56 ·
As a side note, I'm concerned for BMW's financial health. They must've hired an undergrad marketing major to write-up this description. The following are a few word counts:

1. Dynamic - Used 17 times (23 times if you count aerodynamic and efficientdynamic)
2. Design - used 22 times - in one part it was used in 7 out of 10 sentences in a row.
2. Exclusive/Exclusivity - 10 times - you know you are in brand snobbery country when the marketing materials can't even make something feel exclusive without using the word exclusive 10 times
3. Proportion - 6 times

You get the point. I actually enjoy well written, artistic marketing pieces. It truly is an art to make **** up out of thin air to create appeal or highlight what you want highlighted.

By marketing piece standards, this PR piece wasn't even that long....but I had to stop reading it because it was so obnoxiously written.

#57 ·
-front bumper
-rear bumper
-side vents
-large hood (looks pregnant)

+new LED DRLs, really like that look
+rear LED tails, long and sleek. I also like the new Audi A5 tails, this is something similar

interior is nothing special, just a F30

Exhaust I can live with, similar to a Lexus

And we all know the production car will not look like this. Just look at the leaked photos. Side mirrors and door handles are different.

#58 ·
Ok one last thing: I actually find the interior very well done by BMW individual. It's obviously an individual job, but the video at least presents it very artfully and nicely differentiated from the current 3. Something about the dash design looks much more upscale in terms of materials choice. Can't put my finger on it.

Wouldn't want to be sitting on braided belts though :)

#59 ·
Visually, at least from the exterior, it looks like a marriage of the 3 Series and the A5. Not bad, except I hope the front facia on production car loses those enormous Audi-inspired lower air scoops. Given the taper of the roof-line, I wonder whether the convertible version will be a soft-top with those signature flying buttresses from the 6 Series.... That would be nice!

#68 · (Edited)
I don't see any A5 there. Both the concept and the pre-production model we've seen look like much like the 6er, particularly the back half. The leather trimmed dash here shows how similar the 3er interior can look to the 6er interior.

#65 ·
Very promising, I'm getting excited about an M4. That said, they of course chose flattering photo angles and it's concept. So we'll see. That interior color mix is awful but the F30 interior with some surface upgrades and toned down mixes would be great.

#70 ·
Well, figured I'd throw down my 2c... especially considering the 4-series is on my short list when my 135i lease runs out (2 more years)

From the side, I dig it. The scoop behind the wheel is a bit like it's trying too hard to look fast... but it's not horrible. Certainly, it's in keeping with the brand identity (witness the side vents on M3's going back a ways). It also seems to fit nicely into the lines, but might have looked better if it had better followed the arch of the wheel opening. The roof line is nice, sculpted... the windshield is tall and upright... but the bulbous long hood kind of spoils it a bit. Also the trend toward a longer and longer overhang in front of the wheels seems to continue unabated. That's disappointing as well because I loved the "wheels pushed to the corners" look of my E46... this is just looking a bit generic.

The rear is a definite good progression on the E9x tail end. It's definitely got that family resemblance to the other new F-cars and has a nice, sculpted shape. I'm also digging the shapes of the tail lights. Trunk opening looks wide and practical as well. The exhaust though... not feeling that at all.

Interior's about what I'd expect (sans the individual "I want to ride around in a baseball" interior)... if you squint at it you can see an F30 interior almost note for note.

The front end though... yeah... I'm not really digging that at all. The "Kia Optima" chin is not good... I hope that doesn't make it to production. I actually don't mind the headlights reaching in to the grill, but that grill just looks wrong. Again it's like it's trying to hard to look fast. The new style halo lights are also odd looking... makes the car look like it's falling asleep to me. That's sending the wrong message; I love my 1'er from the front because it reminds me of a pit-bull or boxer looking expectantly at you as if to say "Are we going to go play now?" This "face" just has a look of someone who hasn't had enough sleep and is trying to look angry but just coming off as petulant.

Looking forward to seeing the production car... I think some of the details I'm not getting will be toned down a bit and maybe it'll be a bit more acceptable. I can't help feel that the hood looks rather tacked on... and rather long in relation to the rest of the car especially with that long front overhang. I know BMW have a history of having the driver as close to the center of the car as possible, but this is almost starting to look like the driver's being pushed a little toward the back.

It's going to be interesting to see how this shapes up in the next 2 years for me... this could be a contender for my cash when that comes, but to be honest I'm being drawn more and more toward the styling of the A5/S5 instead. I find the Audi to be a beautifully sculpted machine, but definitely doesn't have the driving dynamics of the Bimmers of the past. However, last time I drove an S5 and a Bimmer back to back I was surprised at how close it was. I was also comparing an S5 to an M3... which the M3 is definitely superior. Against the 335i it was too close to call. It'll be interesting to check the driving dynamics of this new 4-series coupe and see if they've improved things over the E92.

#72 · (Edited)
that may be true, but i think it is painfully obvious (at least, if this concept is any good indication of the final product) that it is the other way around this time. The chiseled exhaust covers in the rear absolutely scream acura integra, and the christmas light LEDs above the fogs in the front look like an audi or the new lexus hybrid. I would love to flame leslierc for saying marriage between bmw and audi but it pains me to say that she is at least somewhat correct... lets hope they change it for the final design. :jack:

#74 ·
I agree with you that this time BMW seems to have taken design cues from their competitors. Maybe it's because Audi is cleaning their clock in China sales?

I guess my previous statement was not clear as I was in the middle of paying bills at the time! :bawling:

#73 · (Edited)
and for what its worth, i called it like a year ago that the f32 would have 6 series-like tail lights. so maybe all is not lost. also just took a closer look at the recent 6 series and it too has the acura TL rear exhaust and the christmas light LEDs above the fogs. so this is actually looking a lot like a baby 6. but that does not excuse it IMO.

acura tl exhaust:

christmas light LEDs:

#75 ·
I agree with most folks here, looks good... but even discounting the low vents being toned down in production, they did not fix the general design issues the F30 has when viewed from the front. The front looks great from the side, but not from the front. (if that makes sense). That's disappointing. Looks great from other angles though...

#76 ·
General design issue? Personal preference perhaps, but the F30 looks fantastic from the front. Aggressive and fresh.

As to the concept... I suspect the exhaust will mimic the current F30 exhaust looks and the LED front lights won't survive. Why have LED lights and halos....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.