BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New Member Guide - Posting, avatars, etc.

556K views 662 replies 535 participants last post by  umeerr78 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello and welcome to Bimmerfest
As a new member to Bimmerfest the forum can seem overwhelming at first. Take a few moments to review our easy guide to use the forum and you will be navigating around and posting in no time. Make sure you post an introduction thread as a good way to test your posting abilities.

How to use Bimmerfest
  • Find your BMW model forum
  • How to search for information
  • How to post a question
  • Uploading images and creating polls
  • How to add a signature and avatar to your account
  • Other forum sections

Find your BMW model forum

The site is categorized by the car series (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Series, X models, etc.) and specific model and model years are under that.

forum user guide

If you BMW starts with a number, that is the series you have. 335i = 3 seires. 550i = 5 Series. If you have a model that starts with an X then head to our X model forum listing. Simply scroll down the forum section looking for your series, then locate the forum that encompasses your BMW year.

forum user guide

How to search for information

Use the search function of the forum to help you find a certain topic that you are looking for without having to post a new question. Bimmerfest.com has a wealth of knowledge ready for you to discover. For example, you want to do a muffler delete on your 3 series and you have a question as to how loud it would be. Instead of posting a new topic you can search instead to see if that topic was previously discussed.

In the upper right hand corner you will see the search bar, click on it and type muffler delete.

forum user guide

Next, you will see the search results for muffler delete in that section.

forum user guide

Click on the topics and browse through them. You can see that the first result was about the muffler delete and how it will sound, exactly what you were looking for.

forum user guide

forum user guide

Not only can you search individual sections to find what you need, you can search the entire forum and use the same process. This helps out everyone on both ends.

forum user guide

How to post a question

If you are unable to find a topic that relates to your problem by searching or if you just want to start a new topic anywhere on the forum click on the "New Thread" button on the upper left hand corner and put a subject and write what you want. When you are done click on "Submit New Thread" or "Preview Post" to check if everything is showing the way you want.

forum user guide

forum user guide

Uploading images and creating polls

If you have an image that you want to show you can either upload it to imageshack, photobucket or another hosting site and you can use the image that has the href at the beginning or the code that has forum user guide

Adding a signature or avatar to your account
Signatures and avatars are text, graphics, or pictures you can add to your user account to differentiate it. The avatar and/or signature shows up next to messages you post on Bimmerfest.com. Think of them like a facebook profile picture (avatar) and email signature (forum signature).

This is a signature - It has both an image and text in it.
Bimmerfest signature

Signatures can contain both text and images. The image can be larger than an avatar but should not be too large or they distract from the content and take up too much screen space. Keep your signature picture less than 250 pixels tall. Signatures can be created through the User CP (User Control Panel) link at the top left or thought this direct link.

This is an avatar - It is only an image or graphic
Bimmerfest add avatar

Avatars are images only and can be no larger than 120 pixels wide by 90 pixels tall. To have an avatar requires 100 posts or becoming a supporting member of Bimmerfest. You can set your avatar, once enabled, through the User CP (User Control Panel) link at the top left or through this direct link.

Other forum sections

Other than the BMW model section, Bimmerfest has many other sections that have their own purpose.

- After the model section you have "Bimmerfest Regional" section. Here, major areas are categorized and members from those areas post there topics related only to that area. If you live in New York and you want to post a meet coming up, go to the NY/NJ/CT section and start a new topic there.

forum user guide

- Next is "The Best of Bimmerfest" section. Here you can find guides on how to do it yourself in regards to fixing your car, you can ask a dealer any question that you want in regards to a new purchase that you may have, the European delivery section is great for those that want to buy a new bimmer from Germany and plan to go there to do it and much more sections.

forum user guide

- The "Bimmerfest 20XX" section is all about the biggest BMW in history which is held every year in California. At the top of the section there will be the next or current Bimmerfest and under that will be previous events. You will find pictures and videos of all events

forum user guide

- Finally is "Everything Else" section. This includes general auto, off-topic where pretty much everyone lets it all out, the for sale section and others.

forum user guide

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope that it helped you to find what you were looking for and how to navigate the site correctly and fully." target="_blank" >forum user guide

Adding a signature or avatar to your account
Signatures and avatars are text, graphics, or pictures you can add to your user account to differentiate it. The avatar and/or signature shows up next to messages you post on Bimmerfest.com. Think of them like a facebook profile picture (avatar) and email signature (forum signature).

This is a signature - It has both an image and text in it.
Bimmerfest signature

Signatures can contain both text and images. The image can be larger than an avatar but should not be too large or they distract from the content and take up too much screen space. Keep your signature picture less than 250 pixels tall. Signatures can be created through the User CP (User Control Panel) link at the top left or thought this direct link.

This is an avatar - It is only an image or graphic
Bimmerfest add avatar

Avatars are images only and can be no larger than 120 pixels wide by 90 pixels tall. To have an avatar requires 100 posts or becoming a supporting member of Bimmerfest. You can set your avatar, once enabled, through the User CP (User Control Panel) link at the top left or through this direct link.

Other forum sections

Other than the BMW model section, Bimmerfest has many other sections that have their own purpose.

- After the model section you have "Bimmerfest Regional" section. Here, major areas are categorized and members from those areas post there topics related only to that area. If you live in New York and you want to post a meet coming up, go to the NY/NJ/CT section and start a new topic there.

forum user guide

- Next is "The Best of Bimmerfest" section. Here you can find guides on how to do it yourself in regards to fixing your car, you can ask a dealer any question that you want in regards to a new purchase that you may have, the European delivery section is great for those that want to buy a new bimmer from Germany and plan to go there to do it and much more sections.

forum user guide

- The "Bimmerfest 20XX" section is all about the biggest BMW in history which is held every year in California. At the top of the section there will be the next or current Bimmerfest and under that will be previous events. You will find pictures and videos of all events

forum user guide

- Finally is "Everything Else" section. This includes general auto, off-topic where pretty much everyone lets it all out, the for sale section and others.

forum user guide

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope that it helped you to find what you were looking for and how to navigate the site correctly and fully." width="645" alt="forum user guide" />

See less See more
#203 ·
E36 323i Sport - Brazilian BMW Fan

Hi, everyone.

I´m brand new at bimmerfest and I just bought an used E36 323I 97/98 (48000km) in a very good shape. It is very difficult to found vehicles with this aged in countries like Brazil, here only the first maybe second owner had money to treat the vehicle as deserved.

I'm delighted with their performance and fuel economy balance. To be honesty I expect a little more performace...but I did not found any 328 manual transmissio nin a good shape... the hide its also amaizing and no comment regarding handling and NVH....

There are 3 things that bother me that I would like informations:
1 - both front door panel loose at the bottom area;
2 - glove box gap with IP;
3 - passanger seat - electric motor cover loose;

Best Regards,
Garbex

Attachments

#208 ·
335i SpaceGray E93 Convertible in Sarasota, FL

:thumbup:

Never owned a BMW before, but as soon as I saw the 335i hardtop convertible I was in love. After the test drive, I was in complete lust.

Aside from the epic quality of a BMW, what really sold me is that this is the best looking hardtop convert out there as it looks great up or down while most hardtops look great down and coyote ugly when up.

I had to special order the color combo of Space Gray Metallic exterior and Dakota Grey & Black leather interior.

:roundel:

Attachments

#214 ·
I'm a BMW newb

Hi, I'm Dave.
Sold my 04 Mazdaspeed MX5 (had it since new) and my 01 S2000 uber-turbo (completely unstreetabe..lol) and got me a 2001 z3 M roadster from a deceased surgeons wife locally. She has a 911 and a Benz crossover, and said she won't drive the M roadster because it would mess up her hair. Saw the add, and said "I'll sell the other cars later, but had to jump on this one. The price was right (less than I sold the 28k mile miata for) It certainly has been a love love love love -hate relationship. I love it more than any previous roadster I ever owned, but with 80k miles on it, it keeps giving me little problems I can fix, and a few I am not so sure of. I replaced the Rear shocks and RSMs, the brakes, rotors, oil and filter (I hope it goes 15k miles on that stuff! not a cheap oil change!! lol. Fuel pump, fuel filter, put in a remote door locks on the cheap (cost less than 30.00 with 2 remotes) I will post it later once I find out If it ever had a remote to begin with, because it does unlock ALL doors and trunk when you turn the key on any door). My goal is to put it back in great up to date level of maintenance. It looks great, and drives even better after I got rid of the squealing fuel pump and replaced the RSMs.

I don't know where to post my problem, so I'll put it here as well as in the Z3 section.

I'm a weekend mechanic with a bunch of tools, but not much BMW experience.
My 2001 bmw z3 M roadster will not start (right away) after sitting for even only 15minutes or so. I changed the fuel filter, and fuel pump assy. (500-1000 miles ago. it was making some sick groans on startup, and whirred verrry loudly always) when turning the key, the 5 second 'pre-pressurize' doesn't seem to be enough to pressurize the system. If I try 6 or 7 time it will sputter for a bit , then run. But if I hold the key in the starting position, but
do NOT press the clutch in, it will run the fuel pump for as long as I want, so I do that for 20 seconds, and it will start right up. I suspect a leak down of some sort (or does it always go pressureless when shut down?) , or a really weak fuel pump (it is no-name aftermarket, on the cheap side (78 bucks with adapters). I already failed with a denso, because it was nowhere near a "match" to the bmw, and came with no fitting kit. ($129.00). I replaced fuel pump gasket with new, put it in correctly (gasket first), and tightened unit down with the special wrench. Worked perfect for 1000 miles, now just won't start instantly like it used to. also went back and installed copper ring gasket on the filter at the regulator (OEM) I had forgotten the first time, and make sure there are no leaks I can see whatsoever.. again, does it always depressurize when shut down?

Is it time top pull the pump again? my car's tank is always full when this happens!

Thanks for putting up with me and I love reading all the stuff I find Here. AND I LOVE MY BMW. Finicky, but no worse than my wife of 30-odd years!
Thanks,
Dave

#215 ·
Hello, everyone! I just bought my first car in MY name! I am 48, and I bought a triple black 2005 645ci for $23,900! She's the premium package supreme! She even has an ashtray! I don't know that much about cars, but I love her features: rpm button (what fun!), idrive, parking detector sensors, automatic drop top, cold AC, super warm heat, Harmann Kardon Logic 7 surround sound w/13 speakers, flood plugs, analog and digital, BMW Assist, caterwaul alarm, large backseat, super comfy front seats, wheel controls, several seat adjustors plus memory, CD drive, etc., etc. :)

#224 ·
My son and I just bought a 1987 e30 325. It looks to be in very good shape. We found bimmerfest while looking for information, great site guys!! We are looking forward to working on the car together. This site has a wealth of information for newbies like us. Thanks in advance!

#225 ·
New to Bimmerfest.com

I finally got my first BMW last week!! I bought a 2007 328xi and I love it!! I'm glad I found this forum BC I'm interested in adding some performance mods to my car and want to know where to start?? I want to start with the least expensive most effective performance add on. I would think I would start with an exhaust system or ram air or intake of some sort??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.