BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New Member Guide - Posting, avatars, etc.

556K views 662 replies 535 participants last post by  umeerr78 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello and welcome to Bimmerfest
As a new member to Bimmerfest the forum can seem overwhelming at first. Take a few moments to review our easy guide to use the forum and you will be navigating around and posting in no time. Make sure you post an introduction thread as a good way to test your posting abilities.

How to use Bimmerfest
  • Find your BMW model forum
  • How to search for information
  • How to post a question
  • Uploading images and creating polls
  • How to add a signature and avatar to your account
  • Other forum sections

Find your BMW model forum

The site is categorized by the car series (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Series, X models, etc.) and specific model and model years are under that.

forum user guide

If you BMW starts with a number, that is the series you have. 335i = 3 seires. 550i = 5 Series. If you have a model that starts with an X then head to our X model forum listing. Simply scroll down the forum section looking for your series, then locate the forum that encompasses your BMW year.

forum user guide

How to search for information

Use the search function of the forum to help you find a certain topic that you are looking for without having to post a new question. Bimmerfest.com has a wealth of knowledge ready for you to discover. For example, you want to do a muffler delete on your 3 series and you have a question as to how loud it would be. Instead of posting a new topic you can search instead to see if that topic was previously discussed.

In the upper right hand corner you will see the search bar, click on it and type muffler delete.

forum user guide

Next, you will see the search results for muffler delete in that section.

forum user guide

Click on the topics and browse through them. You can see that the first result was about the muffler delete and how it will sound, exactly what you were looking for.

forum user guide

forum user guide

Not only can you search individual sections to find what you need, you can search the entire forum and use the same process. This helps out everyone on both ends.

forum user guide

How to post a question

If you are unable to find a topic that relates to your problem by searching or if you just want to start a new topic anywhere on the forum click on the "New Thread" button on the upper left hand corner and put a subject and write what you want. When you are done click on "Submit New Thread" or "Preview Post" to check if everything is showing the way you want.

forum user guide

forum user guide

Uploading images and creating polls

If you have an image that you want to show you can either upload it to imageshack, photobucket or another hosting site and you can use the image that has the href at the beginning or the code that has forum user guide

Adding a signature or avatar to your account
Signatures and avatars are text, graphics, or pictures you can add to your user account to differentiate it. The avatar and/or signature shows up next to messages you post on Bimmerfest.com. Think of them like a facebook profile picture (avatar) and email signature (forum signature).

This is a signature - It has both an image and text in it.
Bimmerfest signature

Signatures can contain both text and images. The image can be larger than an avatar but should not be too large or they distract from the content and take up too much screen space. Keep your signature picture less than 250 pixels tall. Signatures can be created through the User CP (User Control Panel) link at the top left or thought this direct link.

This is an avatar - It is only an image or graphic
Bimmerfest add avatar

Avatars are images only and can be no larger than 120 pixels wide by 90 pixels tall. To have an avatar requires 100 posts or becoming a supporting member of Bimmerfest. You can set your avatar, once enabled, through the User CP (User Control Panel) link at the top left or through this direct link.

Other forum sections

Other than the BMW model section, Bimmerfest has many other sections that have their own purpose.

- After the model section you have "Bimmerfest Regional" section. Here, major areas are categorized and members from those areas post there topics related only to that area. If you live in New York and you want to post a meet coming up, go to the NY/NJ/CT section and start a new topic there.

forum user guide

- Next is "The Best of Bimmerfest" section. Here you can find guides on how to do it yourself in regards to fixing your car, you can ask a dealer any question that you want in regards to a new purchase that you may have, the European delivery section is great for those that want to buy a new bimmer from Germany and plan to go there to do it and much more sections.

forum user guide

- The "Bimmerfest 20XX" section is all about the biggest BMW in history which is held every year in California. At the top of the section there will be the next or current Bimmerfest and under that will be previous events. You will find pictures and videos of all events

forum user guide

- Finally is "Everything Else" section. This includes general auto, off-topic where pretty much everyone lets it all out, the for sale section and others.

forum user guide

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope that it helped you to find what you were looking for and how to navigate the site correctly and fully." target="_blank" >forum user guide

Adding a signature or avatar to your account
Signatures and avatars are text, graphics, or pictures you can add to your user account to differentiate it. The avatar and/or signature shows up next to messages you post on Bimmerfest.com. Think of them like a facebook profile picture (avatar) and email signature (forum signature).

This is a signature - It has both an image and text in it.
Bimmerfest signature

Signatures can contain both text and images. The image can be larger than an avatar but should not be too large or they distract from the content and take up too much screen space. Keep your signature picture less than 250 pixels tall. Signatures can be created through the User CP (User Control Panel) link at the top left or thought this direct link.

This is an avatar - It is only an image or graphic
Bimmerfest add avatar

Avatars are images only and can be no larger than 120 pixels wide by 90 pixels tall. To have an avatar requires 100 posts or becoming a supporting member of Bimmerfest. You can set your avatar, once enabled, through the User CP (User Control Panel) link at the top left or through this direct link.

Other forum sections

Other than the BMW model section, Bimmerfest has many other sections that have their own purpose.

- After the model section you have "Bimmerfest Regional" section. Here, major areas are categorized and members from those areas post there topics related only to that area. If you live in New York and you want to post a meet coming up, go to the NY/NJ/CT section and start a new topic there.

forum user guide

- Next is "The Best of Bimmerfest" section. Here you can find guides on how to do it yourself in regards to fixing your car, you can ask a dealer any question that you want in regards to a new purchase that you may have, the European delivery section is great for those that want to buy a new bimmer from Germany and plan to go there to do it and much more sections.

forum user guide

- The "Bimmerfest 20XX" section is all about the biggest BMW in history which is held every year in California. At the top of the section there will be the next or current Bimmerfest and under that will be previous events. You will find pictures and videos of all events

forum user guide

- Finally is "Everything Else" section. This includes general auto, off-topic where pretty much everyone lets it all out, the for sale section and others.

forum user guide

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope that it helped you to find what you were looking for and how to navigate the site correctly and fully." width="645" alt="forum user guide" />

See less See more
#235 ·
New To You

I have been on 'FirstFives' for a while and BigCoupe too.
I haven't posted here til now.
I have a '73 2002, '75 530i, '80 528i and an '82 Euro 635CSi. All fairly stock.
I live in Long Beach, Cal. and I'm always lookin' for help.:)
I'm not too computer hip, but, I'll try. And, I don't deal with idiocy too well.
Along with that, I have a large sense of humor; so, I can take it.
I see that no one posts their car or city,,,,okay.

#237 · (Edited)
Hi All. I have been a BMW owner for the past 12 years. Started with a Z3 M coupe (2000), then a 2001 M5 (Dinan conversion), 2002 M3, and then a 2006 Z4 M coupe. Also I am on my second Mini Cooper S (2002 ans 2011). I find all the car forums very enlightening as I am sure I will find this one. I haven't posted in years even though I have been a member for the past 6 years. I'm just getting more active again.

#238 ·
Thanks for being there

Nice to see other Beemer owners and their willingness to share the challenges and answers to puzzling questions. I started with a 1984 325 and now have an 94 325ic and an 04 325i with about the same mileage. Great drivers with the E36 much better on the curves. I do need some input on solving the water in the rear foot wells in the E36. The back seat is ruined and I have been unable to figure out how to get the drain tubes unclogged. An area dealer informed me it would cost $1,000 to fix which is not going over well with the CFO.:)

#240 · (Edited)
Not sure if I am doing this correctly but will find out! New BMW owner and certainly enjoying my "ride". I try to do as much as possible in the way of mechanical repair so here is my question. As I have found out the passenger door window can give you trouble coming off the track. If that is all the trouble I will receive then OK. However in going thru the process of getting to the cable and needing to disconnect my airbag and reconnecting it my airbag trouble light is still on. Is there a way around fixing this other than taking it to the dealer and dropping 100 bucks. Again I like to try and repair things when I can so any BMW guru help would be appreciated.

OH yea. this is a 2000 528 I

Thank you
Mark

#243 ·
New member intro

Hi, just a quick hello and a brief intro.
About 6 months ago I bought a 2006 X5 3.0 diesel. Being a few years old, I expect to find a couple of things breaking down on the X5 and having Scotch blood in me I'll have go at fixing most problems to save penny or two.
Look forward to sharing some ideas.
Bye for now,
Macka. :thumbup:

#247 ·
Well hello to you also, I'm almost new myself but not new to BMWs. Just for interest my current ones are a ...323i coupe convertible 1998..65k mls. & 840ci 4.4ltr pillarless coupe 1998 a real stunner, tuned giving 4.50 bhp at the rear wheels. I've had it since 2000 now got 44k mls on clock . Also have a mitsubishi runabout 2009 which does most of the local trips, anyway bye now. Geoff.

#248 ·

Buenos dios amigos!
Just got a '98 E39... with an EWS code, but I don't care because I have an absolutely beautiful example of German engineering, so let the adventure begin. I'm looking forward to learning about and working on this car and by the size of the workshop manuals I'm gonna be busy for a while.
Vaya con dios,
Peter

I attached a pic of "my other car" which has been a 42 year odyssey.

Attachments

#249 ·
Hi there Senor Petnatcar, call me Geoff, I wish you the best with your new acquisition but that Healey looks a beauty, it's a 3000 is'nt it, rare car even in England and expensive now. I have a 323i convertble e36 98' and a 98' 840ci 4.4ltr 44k mls from new I've had it since 2000 and you would'nt find a nicer one anywhere. Sorry Bud enough chin wag, got to go. ...Bye now ...Geoff

#250 ·
Reply to message

Hi Geoff,
Thanks for the note. Looks like you appreciate the technology from Deutschland too.
This is the second BMW I have owned. The first one was a '79 733i with a cracked cylinder head.
I picked it up way back in the mid eighties from a soldier who brought it back from Germany. It was a "grey market" car and had a ton of power compared to the smog busters. It always ran perfectly after I rebuilt the engine and I hated to let it go but it was a show of good faith to the wife when we purchased some property. Selling the car helped me pay for the driveway, guh. Now she is my ex, the property has been sold and I definitely miss the car and the garage more then her.
Regards,
Peter

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.