BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

can tinted windows cause noise with convertible tops

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  20ducks 
#1 ·
my 06 M3 cabriolet sounds like an old buggy when driving down the street with the top and windows up. i've been to bmw service and they tell me that the noise is due to the tint on the windows causing rubbing on the seals. i spoke with several compaines that do both convertible top replacement and tinting who say that it's unlikely causing the creaking noise.

has anyone else experienced this? if so please post or email me directly. thanks

#3 ·
I also have that issue with my 2004 M3. It is really annoying and makes me crazy. I too was told by BMW that it was due to my tinting. I doubt it though. My friends say it isn't that bad, they say it's just me. By the way, I'm selling the car for $25,900. It's in excellent condition. I bought it from Autobahn West as only the 2nd owner. Steve

#4 ·
You might try some gummiphlege on the rubber seals. My 06 Coupe and 325i 4 door all had a bit of that window rubbing and gummi helps quite a bit.

#7 ·
I have the same problem with my M3 and my window are NOT tinted. It seems that the rubber seals between the front and rear side windows wear out and start squeeking. I put a bit of oil on the seal and it works temporarily. May have to replace the seals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.