BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

barn find

Z3 
17K views 112 replies 28 participants last post by  mhopper 
#1 ·
I have the chance to get a 1997 6cyl. for next to nothing. (I can probably get it for free.) It has not been driven in two years. I put a battery in it and check the fluids and it started right up. it has 180K on it with bmw service records up to 155k. Here is the down side so far... air bag light is on, check engine light is on, brake and stability lights are on. It is also over heating because the electric fan is not coming on. (dont worry, I didnt let it get hot enough to do damage.) It needs a soft top. and the power seats aren't working.

My question is---is it worth bringing home or am I staring into an abyss of a money pit? Car idles good, doesnt smoke in spite of sitting, and the body is in perfect shape. I have thought about having it towed to a mechanic and have an estimate. I am just not sure about spending money on a car I dont yet own! Part of the obsession is that I hate to see it just sit there and ruin! any input will be appreciated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.