BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Mercedes or BMW

4K views 37 replies 24 participants last post by  E92-Lighting 
#1 ·
I was leaning towards a mercedes c class but i heard they are very expensive to maintain/repair. A friend of mine said get a BMW because their better cars and their warranty is better. is this true?
what makes bmws warranty better?

#2 ·
MB don't offer 4 years maint program where BMW does in term of warranty they are very similar.

#3 ·
BMW has a better warranty with maintenance covered. Both are priced about the same, comparing the 328i vs MB C250. BMW offers more power and better fuel economy. In my opinion, MB build quality and fit/finish aren't quit as good as BMW. If you prefer a softer ride with less road feel then, MB is for you. BMW's are a driver's car.

#7 ·
+1

I say drive both. Both are expensive to repair. I wouldn't pick one car over the other because of warranty/covered maintenance. Even if you plan to keep the car for a long period of time, many will argue the covered maintenance doesn't cover enough.

#6 ·
I presently own both M-B and BMW sedans.

Without going into which is the "better" vehicle for your needs (i..e, which rides better, handles better, etc), I would say that neither is easier to maintain or any cheaper to own. BMW and M-B dealers both overcharge to a ludicrous extent, and both cars require a lot more general upkeep than comparable Asian cars. Both brands offer OK reliability, but a few notches below Infiniti, Lexus, and Acura.

The only current advantage of the BMW is the included maintenance. But, if you don't get your work done at a dealer, that probably has a retail value of about $1500.

I'd suggest you just pick the car you like best, based on whatever your own values in a vehicle might be, and ignore what you friend had to say.

#10 · (Edited)
I presently own both M-B and BMW sedans.

Without going into which is the "better" vehicle for your needs (i..e, which rides better, handles better, etc), I would say that neither is easier to maintain or any cheaper to own. BMW and M-B dealers both overcharge to a ludicrous extent, and both cars require a lot more general upkeep than comparable Asian cars. Both brands offer OK reliability, but a few notches below Infiniti, Lexus, and Acura.

The only current advantage of the BMW is the included maintenance. But, if you don't get your work done at a dealer, that probably has a retail value of about $1500.

I'd suggest you just pick the car you like best, based on whatever your own values in a vehicle might be, and ignore what you friend had to say.
Buying used or going out of warranty: BMW has a massive reservoir of user info/DIY online. Have not seen same for MB - very important issue for some.

BMW's 3 has been dissected, xrayed, and completely described right down to the programming and how to change it. Hey....

#9 ·
Cost of ownership between the german luxury brands are all too close to make a buying decision over - buy the car you like to drive the most.

#11 ·
Having been able to drive several different MB's and BMW's I always gravitate towards the BMW's.

BMW's are WAY more fun to drive where as MB's are more muted and soft.

It depends what kind of drive you want.
If you are a person who likes to drive and then go for a BMW.
If you like riding in a car where everything feels softer and the steering wheel can turn with the mere touch of your pinky finger, go with a MB.

MB's never put a smile on my face like a BMW does.

#16 ·
OP,

I see you're in Buffalo. Having lived many years there, I remember the potholes and other 'pleasures' of winter driving. I don't know if I'd choose a BMW or MB as a daily driver. I foresee the BMW runflats alone as a potential expense you wouldn't like. I miss the summers a lot, however for year around driving, I don't think I'd prefer either make you're considering - obviously a personal opinion only!

#18 ·
in Australia..... asians drive Lexus

esp. LS... mostly owned Asian Small Business Owners

I am Asian.... and I hate lexus

#22 ·
This question might attract only one answer on this forum, but most contributors gave you a very honest and practical answer, to which I subscribe also. Test both cars and listen to your instinct. BMW has more forums online because is generally owned by driving enthusiasts. Of course, which dealer gives you a better deal might also impact on your decision. Cost of ownership is probably the same for both.

#23 ·
BMW or MB

This forum is not going to be impartial on the BMW/MB debacle. It is a matter of personal choice. MB was in my shortlist, but was so enamoured by the looks of E92. The various combinations of leather & trims available on E92 sort of sealed the deal for me. However, MB C250 CDI is 2012 Car of the Year under $80k here is Oz. I am sure MB has excellent qualities too.

#24 ·
This forum is not going to be impartial on the BMW/MB debacle. It is a matter of personal choice. MB was in my shortlist, but was so enamoured by the looks of E92. The various combinations of leather & trims available on E92 sort of sealed the deal for me. However, MB C250 CDI is 2012 Car of the Year under $80k here is Oz. I am sure MB has excellent qualities too.
that's correct

even a 5 years old MB C250 beats the brand new F30 328i

Just read the latest wheels, MB beat 650i and Audi S7

shame about MB styling, not my taste

#27 ·
The C series steering is, in some ways, better than the F30 to me. It feels a bit more precise. The main problem is that it is far too light.

Again, as somebody who owns both brands, I vastly prefer the experience in my E90 (which, btw, cost maybe $60,000 less than the M-B we have). But, the OP's question is really about maintenance and upkeep. And, IMO, both brands pretty much suck in that regard.

With the BMW, every little think you do from changing the battery forward is a big pain in the butt that involves programming from a ruthless dealer.

Same with the M-B. Its insane how much they hit you up with every little thing.

I will say that I've been extremely impressed with BMW's commitment to owners. They've been absurdly responsive to every problem I've had.

#26 · (Edited)
Don't do it! Go for the BMW!

After 5 x 3 series, I was tempted by a deal for the MB C250 CDI Edition 125. I'm in a 3 year contract but I'm exiting after 14 months as the build quality is shocking in comparison to a 3 Series.

Squeaks and rattles are common in my car together with a speaker cutting out (only in cold weather). The vibration from the C250CDI engine is reminiscent of a tractor and the lethargy from the auto gearbox even in sport mode makes any overtaking manoeuvre a major planning exercise!

Ultimately, it depends what you are looking for - sitting in the F30 felt like I was coming home. Cant speak yet for the build quality of the F30, but my E46's and E90's were superb. By contrast, the MB has left me very disappointed - it is uninvolving to drive and the dealers are more concerned each time with ensuring that you provide them with a positive response to surveys than actually dealing with the client. BMW by contrast let their product do the talking.

If this sounds like a rant, it is not meant to be. I'm just so disappointed with the MB ownership experience. I will leave you with one story to illustrate the ownership experience - my car was booked in for a service and 2 days before it was due, I received a phone call asking me to defer the appointment for 2 weeks as my car was due an "upgrade". An upgrade I queried and asked what it involved and was advised that they would replace the injection system. As there are mixed reports on the internet of the replacement injectors, I asked whether I could defer and was told that I would not be covered under my warranty if I chose not to have the work done (there was nothing wrong with my car).
I therefore queried, "surely this is a recall then" to which the reply came "oh no sir, this is not a recall, it is an upgrade". The parts were delayed, so my car was in the workshop for 5 days and when I got it back, I still had the pieces of paper wedged in my dashboard to stop the rattles, despite a request to look at them again (previous attempt to cure failed) as they didn't have time.

#28 ·
I test drove a C250 C204 (C Class Coupe) the other day, steering wheel is like a Japanese car - very light, turbo is awesome so smooth ... then come back to my E92 325i, I love it more

would I buy a C204 ???? Yes, only if it is a C63 C204 ..... when I win a lottery

#31 ·
In the current class of new cars, I think Mercedes Benz might have the edge in reliability. However they are both german cars, have too many parts that CAN and will fail and some of these are beyond MB or BMW's control. That being said, I read that the current C-class was heavily tested before its introductions http://emercedesbenz.com/Jan07/09_O...sting_Of_The_New_2008_Mercedes_C_Class_1.html I doubt BMW did that with the e90 or F30.

#34 ·
Buy a lexus ....

New IS has the grill that looks like this

but you can't beat Lexus on reliability and after sales services

#36 ·
I've just switched from BMW to Mercedes, so here's my take.

I had a 318 E90 for 4 years, finance was up, didn't like the new shape 318, absolutely loved the look of the C-Class in white with the pano roof, so switched to Merc 3 months ago.

So out goes 2.0l 318 Manual, and in comes 1.6l C-Class Auto.

Disclaimer! Note I am comparing a 4 year old E90 with a spanking new Merc....and the Merc is auto box compared to BMW manual.

The 2.0 BMW gave better MPG than the Merc is, and for a saloon, the BMW handles like a coupe, great round bends.

Apart from that,

The build quality and finishing on the Merc is a whole level up from the BMW.
The ride in the Merc is far superior over rough surfaces, ironwork, speed cushions, etc, but not soft through bends.
The performance of the Merc is noticeably superior to the BMW, even though the published BHP only shows a difference of around 10.
The engine runs noticeably smoother in the Merc.
The 7 speed auto box is an absolute JOY and I am loving it. I have no experience of BMW auto's, but this is extreme driving pleasure.
Intelligent bi-xenon headlamps, they are remarkable.

My history is VW Scirocco x 2, BMW 318 x 2, and now Merc. The Merc is hands down the best car I've ever driven.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.