BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

A/C upgrade: change of R12 gas

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Bugsie 
#1 ·
Hi all.

My car is 1990 euro spec with A/C. The problem is that gas has ended and no cold air.

The other big problem is this gas is forbidden starting 2001. Is there any kit or how to change to put the legal gas (I believe R124).

Thank you so much and best regards

#4 ·
I've successfully re-gassed many r12 systems with R134 and PAG oil using the original compressor and seals. R134 is a smaller molecule but the leakage issue is very nominal, perhaps a little more gas every couple of years. Tree huggers fire away.

#8 ·
You can check the part number but all it will tell you is whether or not the seals in the compressor are r-134 compatible or not.

As mentioned, you can reload with r-134 even if the part number says its only r-12 compatible.

The partnumber is a green colored sticker on the side of the compressor. It is usually the number with the largest font.

#10 ·
Hi all. Report on this.

I bought a proper valve and was able to put the new gas in it. And it works.

One minor thing is that I have cold air blowing in most of the vents except for the feet.

Found out that the AUTO buttons doesn't stay in. Well.

Best regards and thanks for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.