BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

No test drive during recall

6K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  ChuckGr 
#1 ·
This morning, I just stopped by my local BMW dealer to test drive the X35d. I was told that BMW USA is having some kind of recall on the X35d, hence any X35d new or pre-owned on the lot cannot be test driven. Any truth on this one?

#2 ·
On another forum, members are reporting that there is a new Stop Sale Bulletin issued on the X5 Diesel related to a problem with a bolt attaching the engine drive belt pulley. This might be the reason for no test drive.

Supposedly, BMW NA is coming out with more information tomorrow....

#7 ·
Hmm, at least they caught it early. I hope they announced it soon. I need to install the front license plate at the dealer. Might as well get it all done at the same time.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Bimmer App

#12 ·
I asked my SA today when I picked up my X5 35d today after having my rear brakes done. He looked it up on his computer and said that the recall was for a bolt that holds on a pulley which was manufactured incorrectly. They do not have any of the new parts yet.
Chuck

#13 ·
I am having trouble understanding a 'recall' or "stop driving' that affetcts test drives but does NOT result in owners being told to stop driving.

BMW put out a stop driving on the new M5 due to oil pumps as catastrophic engine failure would follow- but ALL cars were stopped. Owners, test drives, etc.

Sounds like the salesman just didnt want to give you a test drive. Again, a real stop driving order goes to everyone. AFAIK

A

#14 ·
Stopped in this weekend to have diesel fluid added in my 2010. Came back later and was told there was a recall, they did not have the part and I could not leave with the car because it was a safety issue. Expected parts availability in a week +/-

#16 ·
What recall??

This thread is the only mention I can find of this recall....

#25 ·
That notice makes it look like it is for every X5 diesel but it doesn't seem likely since it (appears) to have been a issue for 6 months now and it doesn't seem to be affecting ALL of the trucks built. Certainly, we would have heard more about it on these and other forums, wouldn't we? Instead I think there are only like 2 incidents in the past 6 months one of which is posting in this thread. Does anyone know if this is for EVERY X5 diesel or just a select number of VINs?

#26 ·
In reading the letter provided by marwan, it would seem like they're talking about 2012 35d's manufactured prior to 11/15 only, but I'm making some assumptions...Assumes that a delivery stop can't apply towards anything older than a 2012, as delivery of a new 35d that isn't a 2012/2013 wouldn't need to be accounted for, as it's extremely unlikely. Also, one of the additional attachments had a file name with "2012" in it. If they wanted to do something older that a 2012, they'd have to do something other than a delivery stop. (For example, they'd have to do a "service hold" or something to that effect.)

It's also quite likely it's not all 2012s up to 11/15, as there's no need to check a VIN, as they've noted.

However, that doesn't explain at all why blair780 had his 2012 35d held when stopping in for service last weekend. Based upon my comments above, that would have to have been a complete mis-read by a dealer or service dept.

Also, as others have pointed out, it would seem like BMW would be contacting Owners if it was a widespread issue that was going to lead to holds being placed on any 35d that came through the door, new or used!

But, I'm applying logic to a situation that might not be logical!:confused:

#27 ·
New to the forum but wanted to chime in here to add to this thread. Bought a CPO 2010 X5 xDrive35d last Saturday and am still awaiting the part installation that this recall covers. Should be done tomorrow or Thursday and will get it detailed by the dealer before picking it up. They almost didn't want to sell it to me until after the servicing was done on it but ended up changing their minds since I wasn't in a huge rush to drive off with it at that moment. Would rather be cautious with these things instead of worrying about it. But the notice does not really indicate a particular MY X5, just a blanket statement on ALL X5s. Rather odd but that's how I read it.

#28 ·
Here's a response from BMW NA on the recall question. I am satisfied with the response. Not sure why they'd stop the test drives, which could lead to lost sales opportunities. Although if someone is test driving a $60K vehicle and this happens, maybe they'd walk out the door quickly.

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding our voluntary recall announcement of certain 2009-2012 model year BMW X5 xDrive 35d (Diesel) SAVs produced between September 2008 and November 2012. Through our own quality control process, BMW has discovered that the idler pulley bolt can loosen in affected vehicles, which could lead to additional bending forces on the bolt. If the bolt breaks, a sudden loss of power steering assist could occur. Please note that manual steering capability would be retained, although the effort required for steering the vehicle would be greater.

Owners of affected vehicles will receive a notification letter via First Class mail in January requesting the scheduling of a service appointment with an authorized BMW center to have the idler pulley bolt replaced and tightened with a revised procedure and a thread lock coating. If the alternator warning lamp (the battery icon) is illuminated in the vehicle’s instrument cluster, along with the warning message “Charging malfunction,” carefully pull over to a safe location away from traffic. Contact BMW Roadside Assistance at 1-800-332-4269 to have your vehicle brought to the nearest authorized BMW center.

BMW remains committed to maintaining the highest level of automotive excellence. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience should your vehicle be affected.

The BMW Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

#30 ·
what RECALL announcement?

They did a stop sale, no recall that we've seen.

#31 ·
Today my dealer told me that there was a recall on my '12 35D. I bought it new in August. I specifically asked if it was a safety issue and was told that the information they had on the recall said that the repair could be done at the next scheduled service or when I got the letter.

#33 ·
That's how I see it.

But my view is that until there is a recall- literally an official announcement, there is no recall....:angel:

#34 ·
I wonder how many X5 that had idler pulley bolt problem before they discovered this to be a quality problem? I don't see too many post here talking about this issue. That does seem strange to me.

#35 ·
Having issued and managed a few worldwide recalls, there are a few thing going on with a recall.

First, the company comes to understand there is a problem- they try and determine the cause of the problem, AND determine which units might be affected. What is the definitive fix, which units need to be recalled? When you issue a recall you want to only do it ONCE. Worse than a recall is an expansion of a recall, or needing to re-recall because you didnt get the fix right. (read BMW Diesel emissions/SCR)

Often times it is difficult to understand when the issue really started- perhaps you KNOW there is a problem NOW, but when DID the vendor change that bolt? when DID they stop using the proper threadlocker??? I may take some effort to be able to definitively draw a line as to when the issue began.

BMW may be taking this action now - this stop sale- with all units in stock, simply because they are SURE these are affected- and they can ensure no cars are sold 'into' a recall. But they are waiting to really understand the scope before issuing the specific recall with affected VINs.

Dunno...

I do agree that nobody has reported this as an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.