BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Coolant leaking!

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  ray.acker 
#1 ·
Hello Guys I am new to the forum but I have read many posts and I wanted to ask for your advise.

Do any of you know where i can find the top portion that connects to the expansion tank only ?

part # 17127526856
I can't find the top hose leading to the expansion tank by itself. The rest has already been replaced. Also If you wiggle the hose for part # 17127509967 at the expansion tank, it leaks!!! its small but it only leaks if i put a tiny bit of pressure. I imagine this is also one of the places where coolant leaks just because I see the puddles underneath.

I have also noticed that the Temperature sensor gasket leaked. I have noticed performance issues with the vehicle jerking when im running at 50-65 mph on the freeway. The temperature sensor has a round gasket ( not sure if thats correct) I used sealant and I no longer see coolant coming out of it but I now have a check engine light. I am assuming this is due to a bad temperature sensor and should be replaced.

Now, I have a new radiator I was able to snatch for $153 with free shipping. I noticed water running along the side of the radiator at one point after I applied pressure. That took me to the conclusion that my radiator is also bad. Please share your thoughts on this. I will be working on the car this weekend to try and get it repaired. No way im taking this to the stealership. They gave me a $700 estimate :confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
You're in Cali and can't find a part for your BMW? :spank:

That hose assembly only comes together like how it is. I thought it did too, but you can only get the spider web hose assembly.
See this link here:

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/32333/Radiator-Hose-Upper-17127526856/

Here's the other hose P/N: 17127509967
http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-coolant-expansion-tank-hose-x5-17127509967

I wouldn't use sealant for that lower rad hose where the temp sensor goes, even though it doesn't leak. That sealant may not be able to withstand the high temp that goes on down there. See the thread below for a huge discussion on the oring.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5364051

Get the radiator installed while you have all removed. 50/50 BMW coolant with distilled water.
Check engine light could be anything and should be diagnosed.
The jerking from 50-65 mph is a transmission related issue.

#3 ·
Hello and thanks for you input. I have managed to changed the radiator and spider hose since that's the only way to get the top portion. Now, I noticed that water is still leaking. However, this seems to be new. I looked under the car and there's a plate where the oil pan sits. Just behind that, i see a few hoses where water seems to be leaking from the top. This to me appears to be something behind the motor. Has anyone experienced this ? There is no visible leaking occurring on the top that i can see.

#4 ·
If you have a leak behind the motor, it could be time to change your valley pan gasket accumulator or pipe orings/ gaskets. Basically the intake manifold needs to be removed to get to that stuff if you are getting an unknown leak from the back somewhere.
It's very difficult to see the leaking gasket from the top under the manifold.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=FB33&mospid=47746&btnr=11_1536&hg=11&fg=35

It's a bit of work, but possible. If this is the route chosen be prepared to change a lot of parts as you get in there.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=0E1vFrxQcqk

#6 · (Edited)
It's a 4.4 I checked for the obvious but i'm having trouble getting some work done in the car due to all this rain. I may end up taking it to the shop. I found the Valley Pan online for 80 bucks ( prefer to buy it rather than making one out of black silicone.). Car is not over heating but my GF grabbed my car without telling me ... sure enough, I received a call from her, " your car has white smoke coming from the top, it smells like coolant but I don't see the gauge over heating. I pulled over and wait for it to cool off.". I am assuming this is from the coolant coming out from the pan? ( I will have to take some time to post pictures and once i get a diagnostic from the shop.) I should have bought a pressure testing kit......

#7 · (Edited)
It is confirmed. Valley pan is leaking the coolant. stealership is telling me... $1600 because they will remove (not replace) the manifold, water pump and maybe replace some of the gaskets..they are charging me 16 hours of labor and I find this to be obscene since the parts are no more than $150 combined. Labor is expensive that's a given but 16 hours of labor ? does that even sound right ? I know I would have to change the pan itself 75-90 bucks. O-rings are no more than 5 bucks a pop and ill need 4 maybe the water pump gasket and intake gaskets too ? does this sound odd to you guys ?I have another vehicle I am using. I may just end up doing this myself. I have already changed the radiator temperature sensor and upper/lower hoses. I've also replaced the Coolant Hose. What are your thoughts on this ?

#8 ·
I had mine replaced at the dealer couple years ago for around that much as I can remember. Lots of parts have to be removed prior to getting to it. The thing is the dealer will ONLY do the valley pan gasket and practically ignor everyhing else thats going on in there so they can take it back apart again later. A good dealer will let you know of issues along the way, but not all of them and that's why it's a good idea to do it yourself if you have some working hands and a spare vehicle. Change your oil separator while your in there (big thing). I sent a link to the video. That's whats involved in removing it.
If you just want a write-up with pictures then here you go:
This is an awesome write-up
http://www.xoutpost.com/article/BMW Valley Pan Gasket.pdf

#9 ·
Thanks for your help. With this guide things should go smoothly. It will take me a bit of time to get it fixed but I'm sure I can do it. I will try and contribute as much as I can to the community with images I take along the way. Once they are done I will upload them on this thread. Thanks again.

#10 ·
Be sure to check the two coolant pipes going back from the water pump. I had a leak thinking it was the water pump. NOPE! Should be fun to replace the O-rings on the back manifold as soon as the parts get here. T
Thanks for all the info here. It is going to make the job a lot easier!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.